2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am SO glad I asked! I admit that I didn't check - I just assumed that I needed to order them. That was my first mistake! Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
We are getting our PACHY.

My big question is locking and anti-theft for the load bars.

Last year someone tried to steal from our 21' SkyBox with Yakima locking crossbars and all they managed was to bend the back panel, something I fixed with a heatgun. You should have seen the parking lot at the premium resort, the druggies ripped off the unsecured roof racks, beach stuff and clothes all over covered garage.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Last year someone tried to steal from our 21' SkyBox with Yakima locking crossbars and all they managed was to bend the back panel, something I fixed with a heatgun. You should have seen the parking lot at the premium resort, the druggies ripped off the unsecured roof racks, beach stuff and clothes all over covered garage.
I asked this recently and didn't see a response. As far as I see, four thumbscrews and the cross rails are off...... along with whatever is on the rails.

John.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Join: Jun 2018

2 minutes ago
Cross bar
Hi I saw your post. I have pasifica 2018 hybrid limited with moon roof. I don't have cross bars. I want to buy a crossbar and a cargo basket but I don' t know compatible products. Can anyone help me

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Join: Jun 2018

2 minutes ago
Cross bar
Hi I saw your post. I have pasifica 2018 hybrid limited with moon roof. I don't have cross bars. I want to buy a crossbar and a cargo basket but I don' t know compatible products. Can anyone help me
If you have a roof rack, the cross bars are stowed in the rails from what I understand. Try the search for roof top cargo basket and you might find a thread about it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts

I agree, bars come off really easily & box or other cargo would come off with it. The thumbscrews are regular M6 bolts, so I just replaced them with stainless M6 bolts & washers. Now at least the thief needs a 4 mm Allan (hex) key instead of just a thumb to take the bars/box. If you wanted to go farther, there are anti-theft M6 bolts available for about $10 on ebay.

I didn't used to lock my box until someone tried to steal it, also at a ski resort. It was empty, so they wanted the box, not the contents. (Thankfully they were idiots and tried to unscrew the mechanism instead of just pulling the quick-release.) (I've also made my own bases so that I can attach my 6' load bars and carry 2 canoes, also using the metric M6 Allan head bolts.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a great idea. Looking on Amazon & Ebay. How long do the M6 bolts need to be? How many mm?Also what size washer did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is a great idea. Looking on Amazon & Ebay. How long do the M6 bolts need to be? How many mm?Also what size washer did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M6 washers in stainless. I don't remember the bolt measurements any more, but just remove one from the crossbars and measure it, then add the washer thickness.
Please note, I took the additional steps of making my own mounting feet so I could mount wide bars without the adapter that makes it all taller. I drilled the holes in the delrin so that the bolts protruded exactly the same amount as the factory bars. Write up:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RAZdABMHrD6QnYzq9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pz9AKrynhbArNoes5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AdEZF1LPc7wi9HyF6

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tim,

I'm trying to replicate what you've done. I'm carrying rowing shells, 26-35' long, and the hinges in the stock crossbars allow for too much flex. I have a couple of sets of Thule crossbars to use but I can't find somewhere I can get a small Delrin blocks like you have pictured? Where can I get some? I've only found it in larger sheets. I've never worked with Delrin before, can you drill and bolt or do you have to tap it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts