2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi
This topic seems to be not active - but for your information, after searching on the internet, I found out what is the DRL (LED) difference between the Limited and lower level trims. It seems that the LED driver (ballast) module is slightly different - see attached picture. The limited has totally 6 LEDS on the board while the other has only one. It means, the light source is ON THIS PANEL, and not in the headlamp body. The headlamp assembly has only a passive "light tube".
The "high power" version has metal heat sink - but the fixation and connection seems to be totally compatible.
I'm wondering if anybody has a chance to test this module between different trims (located at the bottom of the headlamp assembly unit).
Because the light source is "easy accessible", theoretically it could be mod to have dual color LEDs on it - so the light strip would flash on yellow :)

Szabi
After a detailed google and ebay search over the winter months, I've come to the realization that the only way to get LED DRL's on our non-limited's, is to swap out the entire headlight assembly for each side. I don't need HID headlights but would love the LED DRL's. However, after viewing hundreds of pictures on ebay of people selling these in every condition, there seems to be some additional internal electronics within the headlight assembly. With all outside components removed, one view I saw had a circuit board mounted inside. My guess is this would have some influence on the LED DRL's, (Daytime operation and "parking light" operation 6-LED's vs. 1-LED) headlight (HID or Halogen) and hi-beam halogen (limited) vs non-limited high beam and halogen low voltage DRL's. Swapping components from a HID LED DRL assembly may not work, I have yet to secure one of each to test. I DO feel however that a whole assembly from a Limited will function as intended on a say Touring, Touring L or L+. Fingers crossed for plug-n-play installation. Stay tuned..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was just mentioning the LED strips to light brighter. The use of the Hi-beam at "lower power" is a different story. Below the Limited trim the BCM is controlling the High-beam bulb with PWM signal (pulse width modulated power) to lit on lower wattage. And this is coming from outside of the head lamp assembly - I could measure it. Unless the head lamp unit is not "communicating" back to the BCM the BMC keep control the headlamp unit as it is originally "coded" (with PWM to High-beam). I was thinking to use a small external electronic to "disconnect" the High-beam if it get PWM signal but enable on full power. But first take care about the needed light strength for daylight running.
Will see.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited
13 Posts
The string of LEDs are the Daytime Running Lights. They can be enabled or disabled through the Uconnect menu (cannot be disabled in Canada). When enabled, they will be on even when the headlights are off.
The LED bar is only the DRL on the Limited. Lower trims use the high beams at reduced power.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I dont know if this is the case but the LED line on the bottom of the headlight only turns on when the headlight is on, it does not turn on when the daylight running light is on, is this what everybody has? mine is a touring L

Thanks
Correct, or if you use just parking lights they will come on also. The Limited is the same although at reduced brightness for headlight or parking light operation but then switch to full brightness as daytime running lights when headlights/parking lights are switched off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but I stumbled over this when I was wondering about converting my headlights to HID or LED. I just got a used early 2018 Touring L and my DRL are the LED strip.....

With the headlamp switch in auto, once the car is out of park, the LED strips light. The high beam does not. At night, in auto, the LED and headlamp lights. Or, i can set the headlight switch to parking and get the LED strip, rear and side markers to illuminate. I'm pretty sure i have halogen headlights but will have to check.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but I stumbled over this when I was wondering about converting my headlights to HID or LED. I just got a used early 2018 Touring L and my DRL are the LED strip.....

With the headlamp switch in auto, once the car is out of park, the LED strips light. The high beam does not. At night, in auto, the LED and headlamp lights. Or, i can set the headlight switch to parking and get the LED strip, rear and side markers to illuminate. I'm pretty sure i have halogen headlights but will have to check.....
Interesting, ALL but the Limited use the hi-beam at low voltage (dim) as the DRL, so you bought it used which means someone definitely swapped the headlight assemblies for the HID assemblies that have the LED strip DRL, expensive and time consuming to do, since wiring and programming are involved. As far as the HID and Halogen Projector headlights are concerned, they are hard to distinguish. If you truly have the LED strip as the DRL, then with just the engine running and in gear and with no parking or headlights on, the strip will be very bright, almost blinding, because it uses all 6 LED's on the module. but then If you turn on the headlights or parking lights, the DRL strip will dim significantly since it is only using 1 LED out of the 6.
Look for any signs of tampering around the headlight assemblies from under the hood. You could pull one of the assemblies and look for three modules attached to it, one is the HID module, the second is the LED module and the third is a control module that all the but the very bottom trim level have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks. So checking today, all with the DRL enabled.

lights off, led strip bright
Parking lights, led strip bright
Lights on, led strip dim and headlights on
LED strip turns off when turn signal also on
Definitely have halogen bulbs.

Wierd...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sure is. Parking lights and headlights on the strip should be dim, should only be full brightness when in gear with all lights off. Someone modified it in the past. If you ever get the chance, count the modules mounted under either headlight unit, although you may have to remove one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Does the pacifica hybrid limited use the LED strip for DRL?
I believe so, yes. The hybrid limited I ordered has the "LM5" DRL's which is "dedicated", as opposed to the "ML1" which is "high beam" DRL.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a chance this weekend to get under the hood. Here are some photos of what I have. Sorry it’s so tight under there it’s really hard to get the camera in. Is that metal heat sink a ballast for HID’s? It makes bulb replacement almost impossible but I wonder if i could put in an HID bulb in place of the halogen one? I don’t see any odd after fit wiring to run the led as drl...

·
Registered
364 Posts
That heat sink is for the high-power LED DRLs. The HID ballasts, if present, are mounted on the bottom, under the high beams.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, we just picked up our 2020 and i'm interested in getting the LED's set as DRLs.

Food for thought, i think Chrysler has the same basic control module principles as Ford. Whereas, the aftermarket has developed a program called Forscan to allow folks to access their BCM, PCM, and other data to adjust code and activate built-in features on the control modules. For example, 'bambi mode' where foglights shut off when high beams come on, can be disabled. What i'm getting at is, they produce these things in such high volume it doesn't make sense to build a specific BCM or PCM or what-have-you for each trim level. Ford only has basically 2 main harnesses, and the BCM's themselves (I believe) are mostly the same....such that all XL/XLT share the same harness and Lariat and above do.....so people with Lariats without the full 360view cam system and lane keep have physically added the external components on their trucks and just 'activated' it on their BCM with the forscan software.

if someone can develop a system like Forscan to go in and activate these things, it's just like those other setups where you spend $400 to get SRT stuff on your screen or whatever. I'm quite interested in activating the LED's as DRLs....or, i'll just upgrade the headlights to LED's as i have done on my F150. (or both!)

·
Registered
364 Posts
So, we just picked up our 2020 and i'm interested in getting the LED's set as DRLs.
I'm under the impression only the Limited has headlights with the high-powered LEDs that work as DRLs. The other models look the same but have only 1 instead of 6 LEDs so they are much fainter and only used as parking lights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm under the impression only the Limited has headlights with the high-powered LEDs that work as DRLs. The other models look the same but have only 1 instead of 6 LEDs so they are much fainter and only used as parking lights.
so, i've seen mine when in parking light mode, and they're plenty bright to be used as DRL's. If we're honest, the point of DRL's is nothing more than to be seen (which is outright ridiculous...if someone can't see a car coming, low-beam headlights or low-brightness LED's isn't going to change that).

I read through this thread extensively and i'm absolutely surprised nobody has something similar to the Forscan setup for Mopars yet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
so, i've seen mine when in parking light mode, and they're plenty bright to be used as DRL's. If we're honest, the point of DRL's is nothing more than to be seen (which is outright ridiculous...if someone can't see a car coming, low-beam headlights or low-brightness LED's isn't going to change that).

I read through this thread extensively and i'm absolutely surprised nobody has something similar to the Forscan setup for Mopars yet.
People have reported that AlfaOBD appears to offer the ability to change settings like this, although on newer vehicles it seems you have to bypass some hardware encryption thing first.

Edit: "appcar-diagfca" also seems to: Chrysler Pacifica – Appcar DiagFCA – diagnostic tool

Reactions: chimmike

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
So after reading through this post it's not looking good for me. We just bought a used 2017 Limited yesterday and when I got home I noticed the DRL LED strip on the passenger side wasn't working. It flashes initially when switched on and then stays off. Guess something is up with the driver board. From what I can find, it doesn't look like this is replaceable? Will I be needed a whole new assembly?

·
Registered
364 Posts
So after reading through this post it's not looking good for me. We just bought a used 2017 Limited yesterday and when I got home I noticed the DRL LED strip on the passenger side wasn't working. It flashes initially when switched on and then stays off. Guess something is up with the driver board. From what I can find, it doesn't look like this is replaceable? Will I be needed a whole new assembly?
I think this is what you need: OEM for 17-19 Chrysler Pacifica DRL Daytime Running Light Module Controller Kit | eBay. The part with the heat sink is the LED module itself and I believe the square part is the driver. (The non-DRL LED strips don't have a heat sink and only one LED. You can see the 6 LEDs in the picture of this unit.) It might at least be worth $30 to give it a try. Someone on here may actually have tried it, I've just been researching headlights a lot because of my LED retrofit project. Do note that they are left/right specific, so make sure you get the right side.

For those who want to retrofit LED DRLs onto models that don't have them, these would be required (but maybe not sufficient, IDK if there are any other differences) to do that, in addition to recoding the computer.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts