2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird thing happened this morning. When I got in the van around 9 AM the clock had moved itself back one hour instead of forward one hour. The only way to correct the clock was to disable synchronizing to GPS and then to bump it forward two hours since it had incorrectly set itself back one hour. Later in the day, around 1:30 PM the clock had now bumped itself forward by two more hours! This time, I re-enabled the synchronization to GPS and the time then displayed correctly.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yup, I noticed last night (Sat) mine said 8pm when it should have been 9pm, long before it was even supposed to change forward at 2am. Today it's fine though. Glitchy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I saw the same thing. We went out to dinner last night and it was an hour behind. When we came back from dinner it was two hours behind. This afternoon it was correct.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the same thing. We went out to dinner last night and it was an hour behind. When we came back from dinner it was two hours behind. This afternoon it was correct.
Sorta makes you wonder. I’ve written code for embedded systems that automatically corrects a real time clock for DST and I will admit that I had some issues like this that needed to be debugged. But that buggy code never made it out the door into a real world system. I had the code working correctly before it was ever put into a system in the field. So my question is, if they (the software/firmware engineers) can’t get a small matter right like automatically correcting for DST, have they got everything right in the more important areas like scheduled charging, fuel/oil refresh mode, calculation of MPG (or MPGe), etc.?

What I would give for the source code for the microcontrollers in that van...

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it's synced to GPS, wouldn't that mean the satellites were out to lunch for a bit?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If it's synced to GPS, wouldn't that mean the satellites were out to lunch for a bit?
The satellites don't exactly control the clock; they tell your system exactly where you are and what the world standard (maybe GMT?) time is, and the software in that system controls the time display by cross tabbing location with date.

I also noticed the DST changeover was wonky. It took a couple of hours driving around on Sunday before it registered.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, our van's clock did the same thing. We're GMT -500 (EST), and only bought this thing 1.5 weeks ago. It self-corrected later on that same day. It seems to be a common theme with FCA: software QA is sub par.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The GPS does not give time specific to your time zone. It’s just Coordinated Universal Time or what used to be called Greenwich Mean Time or Zulu Time. I assume that the computer looks at your location, determines what time zone you’re in, then calculates the offset to display the correct time. I also assume that periodically the clock checks to see if it has crossed over into either Daylight time or Standard time and corrects the offset based upon that.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The software in this van has more bugs than a cheap motel. My favorite one that Uconnect Theater can't sort mp3 files properly- it plays all songs in alphabetical order. Everybody else solved that problem more than a decade ago, even the cheapest players from China. The front Uconnect player sorts properly, but the Theater doesn't.

Uconnect media player:

Uconnect Theater:

What a shame.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So my question is, if they (the software/firmware engineers) can’t get a small matter right like automatically correcting for DST, have they got everything right in the more important areas like scheduled charging, fuel/oil refresh mode, calculation of MPG (or MPGe), etc.?

What I would give for the source code for the microcontrollers in that van...
Hah, those are the most consistently complained about systems..

I suspect the vehicle development was actually performed by competent engineers and software designers up until production. Then that team has moved onto new projects like the Portal and such. Which leaves us all with the general aftersales QC department “engineers” to fix things.

This would explain the 3-4 attempts at each update and the breaking of features and causing dangerous code in the attempts.. and really really long periods they let the problems remain..

However I accept the MPG as accurate for an “energy consumption gauge” and not “fuel economy” since it has nothing to do with the financial aspect of operating a vehicle.

And I can almost predict when my vehicle will get it’s FORM now based on my useage.. so to each there own.

But charge schedule has never worked to my knowledge. And my old favourite feature was the power flow display that used to have a charge meter inside the battery image that apparently couldn’t display better than 25% chunks and had to be removed.

The animation in the hybrid power flow screen is still very clumsy at best..

On pg565 of the 2018 hybrid owners manual 3rd R1 states.

“You have the right of acquisition, modification, and distribution of the source code of the GPL/LGPL software.”

The uConnect software is available should someone want it.. likely not in its entirety.

·
Registered
265 Posts
At 4am, my clock did not jump ahead. I did it manually. A few hours later on Sunday, I noticed it jumped itself the hour. I had to set it back.
Like a clock in my truck, this digital clock loses a minute or so every week or two. Gone are the old days when I had analog clocks, which had the word "quartz" on their face. They kept perfect time. Like cell phones compared to land lines, new tech is often poorer quality than old tech.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Hah, those are the most consistently complained about systems..

I suspect the vehicle development was actually performed by competent engineers and software designers up until production. Then that team has moved onto new projects like the Portal and such. Which leaves us all with the general aftersales QC department “engineers” to fix things.
Worse. Each module is developed by a supplier, which makes fixing the bugs even more difficult. Uconnect haed unit is made by Panasonic, the video router and other Uconnect Theater components are from Alpine. This is why only one of them can sort mp3 files.
QUOTE=m0ebius604;551559]
This would explain the 3-4 attempts at each update and the breaking of features and causing dangerous code in the attempts.. and really really long periods they let the problems remain..

However I accept the MPG as accurate for an “energy consumption gauge” and not “fuel economy” since it has nothing to do with the financial aspect of operating a vehicle.

And I can almost predict when my vehicle will get it’s FORM now based on my useage.. so to each there own.

But charge schedule has never worked to my knowledge. And my old favourite feature was the power flow display that used to have a charge meter inside the battery image that apparently couldn’t display better than 25% chunks and had to be removed.

The animation in the hybrid power flow screen is still very clumsy at best..

On pg565 of the 2018 hybrid owners manual 3rd R1 states.

“You have the right of acquisition, modification, and distribution of the source code of the GPL/LGPL software.”

The uConnect software is available should someone want it.. likely not in its entirety.[/QUOTE]
Those open source components have no practical use for us. A modified software would need to be compiled with FCA propitiatory code and be digitally signed by FCA in order for the system to accept it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts