2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited has only 2 weeks and less than 1000KM and already started having dead battery issues.

This is the second time it happened. Last time was 2 days ago.
Today, after charging the batteries overnight, I enter the car, shows 100% charged, drive to a store 3 blocks from my house (1m drive), and when press the stop button to turn off the car, all the systems and lights shutdown. The car is completely dead, the back door doesn't open (even manually) and the other car doors only open manually.

Fortunately I had booster cables in the car and was able to get help to booster the car starting up. I checked the climate to ensure was off, turned off all entertainment system, lights, etc and let it running for 10 minutes and then I drove back home (another 1 minute drive).
The second I parked and turn it off, the same issue happens again. I connect the charging cables but nothing changes. I am not a mechanic but in the past I had a similar issue with a Mercedes SUV (not hybrid) that had an short cut in some wires that caused the battery to drain quickly. Not sure is something similar is happening with the Pacifica.

Also, the van is parked outside and it has been raining a lot these past days, so not sure if when it is charging there may be some humidity or water getting into the electrical system. I am assuming the charging plug area is designed to out-stand rain and cold.

In summary, I don't know if, being an hybrid vehicle, there is an actual "regular" battery in this car to startup the engine like in a normal car, or if that function is performed by the batteries that feed the electrical engine.

I am going to take the car to the dealership and see what they say, but it is so disappointing to have such type of issues in a brand new expensive car.

Did this happened to anyone of you?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes there is a lead acid battery (like a regular car), situated in the driver side back wall of the cargo area. I've read a lot of the threads here and it seems that battery is the number 1 source of the grieves. You may wish to use a volt meter to check that battery to see its charge state, and if you have a lead acid charger, hook it up to that battery and see if it helps.

On a related note.... anyone here knows the reason for Chrysler's decision on NOT charging the 12V when we plug in to charge the main battery? I have read that during storage of the vehicle, the 12V does get replenished every 20 odd days, which means the mechanism is there. Consider how much the 12V is doing even when the pachy is not in run mode (listening to the fobs, regulating the charging circuit, listening and replying on the LTE modem, just to name a few), it would be prudent to also trickle charge the 12V when we plug it in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts