2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2017 PacHy suddenly came to a stop on the freeway. Towed to the dealer/service, problem was diagnosed as an internal short in the transmission. They determined a complete replacement of the transmission was necessary, as well as other components including the power inverter. Total repair estimate is close to $20,000. The car is at 66K miles, so it is just outside of the 60K powertrain warranty, and the service manager suggested we appeal to Chrysler for goodwill help.

I opened a case with Chrysler, but they declined to offer warranty coverage or goodwill support, because I cannot prove that the last oil change was done in the required period. I performed the last two oil changes myself using MS-6395 certified 0W-20 in periods less than one year apart, and as recommended by the car's oil change indicator. I submitted dated receipts for the oil and filter, but the case manager informed me that because the car's mileage was not logged by a service tech, I did not have sufficient proof that the required oil changes were performed as required.

Are we totally SOL here? Is this one of those times we "should have bought an extended warranty" and have a shop do all the oil changes? We bought it new and have had mostly trouble free ownership, having taken good care of the car. So it is absolutely disheartening to for the car to be almost totaled in value from transmission failure, and goodwill help denied because of changing my own oil.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
This is the reason I preach about extended warranties and dealership oil changes . Even having the dealership change the oil would have taken the liability out from the “ what if time and mileage part “ . A yearly oil change at the dealership , vs the due it yourself with oem filter and synthetic oil , would have placed the onus on dealership and not oneself . The problem here is you have a possible 5 plus year old vehicle with non certified time and mileage verification. Even buying oem filter and oil yourself , taking it to dealer and having them change it would have negated this situation as well . I definitely feel for you but this is the reason manufacturers write the warranties for as such . Even lawyering up would be a mountain to climb , the ability to provide verifiable dates and mileages would be questionable at best .

·
Registered
346 Posts
You are out of warranty coverage and Chrysler is blowing smoke regarding good will coverage. Engine oil change has nothing to do with a transmission failure. If you were within the factory warranty period, Chrysler could not deny coverage on the basis of engine oil change intervals.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
605 Posts
You are out of warranty coverage and Chrysler is blowing smoke regarding good will coverage. Engine oil change has nothing to do with a transmission failure. If you were within the factory warranty period, Chrysler could not deny coverage on the basis of engine oil change intervals.
+1 here. Your oil change records, or lack thereof, have no bearing here. (I change my own oil, keep receipts and also take pics).

I would encourage OP to keep knocking on Chrysler's door for at least SOME financial aid here. Failing that, hit social media with the experience.

Sorry, but $20,000 to repair a Pacifica Hybrid transmission reminds me of why I elected to go with the gas only version.

Reactions: froglips

·
Registered
101 Posts
Look at your window sticker and ask the dealer about the “10–year or 100,000–mile Hybrid System Limited Warranty” that’s shown there. If you’re in a California emissions state it runs to 150k.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Totally agree with last post. The transmission is specifically designed for and integral to the hybrid drivetrain. It should be covered by Hybrid System Warranty. I would pursue this pathway.

·
Super Moderator
982 Posts
Telling you it's because you change the oil yourself is a cop out to say the least. Unfortunately it looks like the 10/100,000 only covers the actual battery pack.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
605 Posts
They diagnosed the problem as an "internal short in the transmission." Is that diagnosis from the OBDII code? Were other codes thrown? Seriously, there are all kinds of things that can cause the vehicle to die on the highway. At $20k, it might be worth taking it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion. How truly sad it would be if the REAL problem was just a dying battery.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Pinnacle Hybrid
80 Posts
See if you can determine what died inside the transmission. If it was an internal short, as you described, was that with the electric motors? I believe those are covered under the 10 year hybrid system warranty. I'd also ask them if you did your own oil changes and this occurred within the power train warranty period, would they deny you warranty coverage there? And if yes, where does it say that in the warranty paperwork? I'd continue to escalate with the dealer and Chrysler and hope you get lucky. If at the end of the day its still nothing from Chrysler, maybe you can get a used transmission and have that installed for less than $20k. Regardless, wowsers, thats a heck of a repair bill for a transmission failure. Are we all looking at that sort of a bill when our transmissions die?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Our 2017 PacHy suddenly came to a stop on the freeway. Towed to the dealer/service, problem was diagnosed as an internal short in the transmission. They determined a complete replacement of the transmission was necessary, as well as other components including the power inverter. Total repair estimate is close to $20,000. The car is at 66K miles, so it is just outside of the 60K powertrain warranty, and the service manager suggested we appeal to Chrysler for goodwill help.
All of those components are covered under the 10 years 100,000/150,000 hybrid warranty. There was another user here that had the transaxle fail on a 2017 with 96,000 miles and it was all replaced under warranty.

Reactions: orangeandwhite

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agreed. The Transmission is "totally" sole, separate and different than the Engine and MS-6395 oil only refers to the Engine oil requirement, So we are all lost here on this one..

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Agreed. The Transmission is "totally" sole, separate and different than the Engine and MS-6395 oil only refers to the Engine oil requirement, So we are all lost here on this one..
I hate to blow up your thesis but the drivetrain is comprised of a engine and transmission that are indeed one unit . There are numerous factors as to why transmissions fail , but yes the engine has the ability to ruin your transmission for various reasons . If the transmission was indeed separate why would it be bolted to the engine ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hate to blow up your thesis but the drivetrain is comprised of a engine and transmission that are indeed one unit . There are numerous factors as to why transmissions fail , but yes the engine has the ability to ruin your transmission for various reasons . If the transmission was indeed separate why would it be bolted to the engine ?
The engine and transmission are 2 totally separate drive components that are made it together. The above discussion starter said
Ok if were talking about the Gas Pacificas here including all gas cars the Engine and Transmission drivetrains are 2 totally separate working units that are mated together that work completely differrent to creative drive. The engine has Pistons, crank and valves etc while the Transmission has planetary gears, clutches etc.. They work completely different than one another and have totally separate lubricating properties that require different fluids. Transmissions require transmission fluid, Engines require motor oil. The above discussion starter said his transmission went out and the dealership said he didn't have records for the proper MS-6395 oil 0w/20 that was needed. There was confusion, Transmissions do not take MS-6395 0w/20 Motor oil, it takes green 8-9 speed Mopar transmission fluid which is which is why I made my comment. If the transmission went out then what are they needing receipts for 0w/20 motor oil?... And engines themselves will "rarely" ruin a transmission on its own.. When I say they are separate, they can still be separate and still mated to the engine together.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Posts above stating that the “Hybrid System Limited Warranty” only cover the battery are not correct. The hybrid components are covered under a longer warranty because this is required by government regulation. The issue doesn’t arise often so the dealer (and FCA) may need some prompting.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
605 Posts
Are we all looking at that sort of a bill when our transmissions die?
Well, that quote was from a dealer and they're traditionally high. But then how many independent transmission shops are qualified to work on these things? Special high-tech tranny, special high-tech price. So, yeah, super expensive tranny repairs might be the norm for hybrids.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, that quote was from a dealer and they're traditionally high. But then how many independent transmission shops are qualified to work on these things? Special high-tech tranny, special high-tech price. So, yeah, super expensive tranny repairs might be the norm for hybrids.
Yeah I'd be afraid of these Hybrids at the moment until Technology can work out these bugs better and sadly aren't so expensive to fix.. Maybe 8 years from now things will be a whole lot better. Much like the VCR that came out in '89 was $1100 now their free. :LOL:

·
Registered
89 Posts
See if you can determine what died inside the transmission. If it was an internal short, as you described, was that with the electric motors? I believe those are covered under the 10 year hybrid system warranty. I'd also ask them if you did your own oil changes and this occurred within the power train warranty period, would they deny you warranty coverage there? And if yes, where does it say that in the warranty paperwork? I'd continue to escalate with the dealer and Chrysler and hope you get lucky. If at the end of the day its still nothing from Chrysler, maybe you can get a used transmission and have that installed for less than $20k. Regardless, wowsers, thats a heck of a repair bill for a transmission failure. Are we all looking at that sort of a bill when our transmissions die?
With Gas Paci's a trans rebuild is about $3-4K at a reputable shop well within reason and/or can actually be bought on Ebay shipped and crated from wrecking yards pulled from other Pacificas with low mileage for even less, then you can just have it installed locally where you live. Where there is Gas there is no Strass. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For anyone wondering about the repair costs, the main components needing to be replaced are the transmission (68359946AD), and the inverter module (68381781AD), which was quoted at $18K in parts and labor.

That the transmission, or at least the inverter might in fact be covered under the 10/100,000 hybrid warranty is promising. I'll push on that front and see where it goes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts