2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
AlfaOBD can display all raw values that the ECM spits out. The dealer's wi-tech will only show functions and data that the engineers have programmed the application to show. It doesn't show everything.

For example you can edit the sales codes of the vehicle directly with that scan tool, but the only thing the factory scan tool can do is re-download the build sheet from Chryslers servers. We can add sales codes through another system, but the codes we can add are listed out for us for things such as a trailer hitch. We can't, for example, add the sales code for adaptive cruise control. The other scan tool most certainly could.

·
Registered
915 Posts
AlfaOBD with OBD bluetooth reader can do. Like so:
View attachment 49551
@stop-eject has already mentioned it above.....

I'm using AlfaOBD Demo version (15 minutes functionality every time you launch it-way enough to retrive any info) and Vgate iCar2 - 15.99$ on eBay
However, if I can do im garage such test/readings, I'm certain that dealer, right one, can do that also.
There you go. I knew there had to be a way to get that information. It’s just too bad that Chrysler doesn’t give their techs the tools to read it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Pacifica Limited with 98,000 miles on it. Knowing that 100k miles was the warranty cut off for the high voltage battery,

I thought I had read somewhere (maybe here?) that the only way to see the actual life/capacity of the battery is at a dealer. The guy told me in two years he has never been asked that and the only thing he can see is error codes and if the battery is bad or good. He said it's good. I'm not thrilled to have paid for an hour of labor to tell me what I already know.

I was hoping to see how close I was to that 70% for obvious reasons. Can anyone here tell me if I am wrong or the dealer is wrong? If the dealer is wrong, how can I explain to him how to do his job and find the capacity/life left on the battery?
At that high mileage, I would consider getting a extended warranty that covers the battery. Mine is in the shop now (2018 with 95K miles) for hybrid drivetrain issue. I just found out today that the battery has failed and needs replacement (just under the 100K warranty) and the service advisor said it would have been a $16000 repair. I have not been charging the battery based upon the recall information from the Z11 recall. I know that had to have done significant wear and damage to the battery and likely resulted in the failure.

I don't get along with the hybrid service advisor at all because he doesn't know much and only reads from the screen. But he actually told me that I could come pick up the van and drive it until they get a new battery. Despite what you may think, the van can't run solely on ICE. It will constantly seek to engage the electric system to assist, just watch your hybrid monitor when you drive. My car would constantly try to engage and bog down, then engine would over rev to compensate. Needless to say, I told him that I would pick it up when its fixed (Chrysler has already authorized me a rental until the Z11 recall is completed).

·
Administrator
2,601 Posts
I don't think the factory scan tool can view the HV state of health. At least, at no point in my diagnostic process for replacing them was it ever mentioned.
The factory tool can read the SOH (State of Health) data. The question is how to interpret it. Usually SOH goes from 100% to 90% within the first year. I can't say it translates in the real world range reduction.

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Administrator
2,601 Posts
I don't get along with the hybrid service advisor at all because he doesn't know much and only reads from the screen. But he actually told me that I could come pick up the van and drive it until they get a new battery. Despite what you may think, the van can't run solely on ICE. It will constantly seek to engage the electric system to assist, just watch your hybrid monitor when you drive. My car would constantly try to engage and bog down, then engine would over rev to compensate. Needless to say, I told him that I would pick it up when its fixed (Chrysler has already authorized me a rental until the Z11 recall is completed).
This is correct, the electric motors are acting as the starter and are necessary for the transmission to function. It won't be able to change the ratio without the motors running. There is no way the car can move under its own power without the HV battery.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts