2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long story...

I bought the Pacifica 2017 in May 2017 for my wife. She drive it to pickup my daughter to and from elementary school. To be honest, she is very satisfied with the car, especially the advanced safety functions. But recently, we are very sad on the issues found with this vehicle. Or I should say, what we are sad on is not the vehicle itself, but the service of the dealer close to us.

In my memory, from the first day we got the car, we just noticed there is a "clicking" sound (or "ka ka" sound) when turning the steering wheel. But we did not think it is a big issue so ignored it until recently I found there is no such kind of noise on another car of same model.

From about March 2018, I also noticed there is a "clicking" sound when pressing the gas pedal. I am not sure if it had existed before. I noticed it just also because I have a chance to drive another car of the same model, which has no this issue at all. So I started to paid attention on it.

At first, I found if I press brake pedal firstly, and then press gas pedal, a "clicking" sound occurred, sometimes, not always. And later I found a way to reproduce the "clicking" sound 100% in test drive. I also noticed that the clicking sound did not occurred in the first several minutes driving, it seems to start when the machine getting hot. And the sound is subtle at first, and getting louder with long time driving.

I inquired a vehicle technician, he suggested me to resolve this issue immediately before it cause serious accidents. The clicking sound seems come from some mechanical parts connecting to gas pedal, so might indicates some safety issues.

In December 2018, I dropped the car to a Chrysler dealer close to my home, and described the issue to the agent. They kept the car for two weeks and changed some parts that costed several thousands dollars (under warranty). But when I picked up the car and drove home, on the road I just found there is nothing changed on those issues. So I guess the technician actually did not reproduced the issues before repair and after repair at all.

this month (March 2019) I dropped the car to the same dealer again. Because I have found the simple way to reproduce the issues, I asked a test drive with their technician. In the test drive, I reproduced the two issues easily, and the technician said he had understood the issues. I asked him if he is necessary to drive and test, he said not necessary.

After a week, I received the call from the dealer's agent, and was told that their technician couldn't found the problem. I told them I have reproduced the issue with their technician. He then told me their technician thought the issues are normal condition, and suggested me to go back when they get worse. I told him I think one of the issues is related to the mechanical parts connecting to gas pedal, so it may indicates a safety issue, so I even could not drive it for a long trip scheduled in next month. I asked to talk to the technician who test drive with me, but was told he was in vacation and be back until two weeks later. I asked if it is possible to arrange another technician to handle these issues, he just told me at this time, they thought my car is in normal condition, I should be back when the issues getting worse.

I had not choice to this point. So I contacted another dealer nearby and arranged a test drive in next week.

The purpose I posted it here is to seek some suggestions.

1. I searched in this forum and found the other cases of "clicking" noise on turning steering wheel. Is this really a normal condition so that I should ignore it at this moment, and wait until it getting worse?

2. I think the "clicking" sound on pressing gas pedal is connected to some mechanical parts so may cause a serious problem on unexpected time. So every time when I heard the sound on the road I just got nervous and worried about it. Do you think it is reasonable to ignore it currently and wait until it getting worse?

3. It is evident that the dealer's technician know the issues exist actually, but they just do not like to repair it right now. I am not sure what is the exact reason. But on May 27, it will be two years from I bought the car. I am not sure how long is the manufacturer's warranty of the car for these issues, but it seems if it is out of manufacturer's warranty, I have to pay for the repair.

What's your thoughts? Pacifica guys. I thank for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Can you post a video of the clicking sound please. As long as you have recorded the complaint with the dealer within the warranty, it shouldn’t matter if the warranty has expired or not. But make sure your receipt from the dealership shows the actual complaint as you wanted And not simply stating that Service has been performed as requested.
Also try to pm @ChryslerCares for any help during dealership visits. They are pretty helpful to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for replies from your guys. The sound on pressing gas pedal is kind of subtle. It is easy to be heard (or felt) when driving but I think it is not easy to be recorded. I checked the linked pages about "clicking" issues, and found the issue on my car is exactly same at below one:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/474-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-issues-problems/3498-transmission-noise.html

From the replies, it seems I could not get it repaired at all. It is thought to be "normal" just like the dealer told me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About another issue, the noise on turning steering wheels is same as below one:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/193-2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-general-discussion/40211-scraping-noise-steering-wheel.html

This issue seems could be repaired by replacing some parts, as some discussions I found. I will try the dealers nearby to see if they could repair this issue for me.

I am surprising that why I did not found there are so many discussions about the issues of this car when I purchased it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
2. I think the "clicking" sound on pressing gas pedal is connected to some mechanical parts so may cause a serious problem on unexpected time. .
See, the gas pedal is a 'drive by wire' system, it doesn't have a mechanical connection to the engine bay. The sound is likely coming from elsewhere and can be difficult to troubleshoot. Which is, of course, no excuse for the dealer trying to shift the problem on you.

·
Registered
630 Posts
See, the gas pedal is a 'drive by wire' system, it doesn't have a mechanical connection to the engine bay. The sound is likely coming from elsewhere and can be difficult to troubleshoot. Which is, of course, no excuse for the dealer trying to shift the problem on you.
True. Fuel pump noise maybe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts