2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old post resurrect, but I just got my 2019 Hybrid and noticed the same reflection bugging me, particularly in full sun, which was super distracting. Here's what I did. It was about twenty minutes of work, total cost about $10.

TL;DR I spray painted the brushed metal vent trim to flat black. Perfectly matches the other blacks in the interior and eliminates the side-mirror-window reflection problem.

1. Go to your hardware store of choice and get a can of flat-black spray paint. I picked Rustoleum Painter's Touch flat black and it worked great. I also picked up a 150-grit sanding block to roughen up the plastic finish a little and help the spray paint adhere. You could probably also use a green scotch pad or any other sandpaper you have laying around.

2. Open up your driver's door and remove this trim piece just to the left of the driver's vent. Get your fingertips under the rubber door seal to start. Pull straight to the rear toward you.

3. Move your fingers down the trim piece and pull toward you. There's two clips under there, one on top, one lower down. There are no clips on the "arm" of the piece that extends toward the windshield, just a couple of alignment "fins".

4. Get your fingers behind the lower dash panel that has your headlight switch on it. Near the top of the panel, pull toward you. No bolts, only several clips. You don't need to unclip this entire panel, just the top clips will do, the panel will flex a bit for our purposes.

5. Pull the rest of the top of the panel open enough to get your hand behind it.

6. Get your fingers inside the cavity, grab onto the vent assembly and pull toward you. It won't require much effort to pull out. There's no wires or other connectors holding the vent assembly in.

If you need more push on the vent to get it out, you can get your hand in from the left, also. Again, pull toward you.

Here's what the vent assembly looks like once you have it out.

The brushed metal trim piece doesn't look like it comes off - it looks like some plastic clips are welded down so it's permanently attached to the black plastic vent face. Fine! We'll paint them both.

Scope out all the little clips holding the trim ring onto the vent. Work your way around them and loosen them one at a time.

Once you've gotten the trim ring off, hit it with the sanding block, sandpaper, or your scotch pad and just try and get the finish a little scratchy. Brush off your sanded dust, maybe wipe it down with a damp rag. Good painting is good prepping.

It's an easy paint job, but I did several coats - make sure you check all your angles for those little slivers of silver you missed. I followed the can instructions and waited 5 minutes between coats. Then set it aside and let it dry for a while - too little and you'll leave a fingerprint in it when you press it back into place. Ask me how I know.

Looks pretty good.

Clip the trim ring back on the vent - can't even tell it didn't come black from the factory.

Just push the whole vent assembly back into the cavity. All those little speckles you see in my photo aren't baked in to the paint - I did this project in the middle of a 2000-mile family visit road trip and the car has... been cleaner. The finish, to my eye, looks just like factory black plastic.

Reverse your steps to clip back in all your trim panels, and don't forget to fix the rubber door seal back over top of the plastic. No you never need to harumph at side view mirror again!

All in all it's about ten minutes of actual work, punctuated by waiting between paint coats and waiting for the whole thing to dry. I haven't done my passenger side vent, but I probably will just for completeness' sake since I still have a whole can of perfectly good spray paint to do it with, and it's super easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
TL;DR I spray painted the brushed metal vent trim to flat black. Perfectly matches the other blacks in the interior and eliminates the side-mirror-window reflection problem.
Thanks for this post, I noticed the glare on my '22 limited and posted this '22 Limited S - Glare from chrome on vent... I'll likely be applying some of the techniques you've outlined here to my vent trim too.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts