2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Just an update if anyone is researching the CEL. After my second visit to the dealer it was confirmed that the purge valve was leaking and after it was replaced we haven't had a CEL since
Me too. Two trips (I think they just cleared OBD code the first time). EVAP Purge Valve was replaced on second trip and the code hasn't returned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got this code for the first time this afternoon. Today marks 1 year of ownership so I have the older style fuel flap shown. No recent fillups for me so it looks like I'll be taking it in to have it checked.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I originally feared it had something to do with my flap not sealing but, in my case, it was my purge solenoid up under the hood (easy to replace). The problem did not come back but it did take two trips to the dealer. The first trip they simply cleared the code and sent me on my way. If the leak persists like mine did it will take several days to a week before the code pops up again even if the leak is always present.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm glad to read others have had the issue apparently fixed.

About three weeks ago I bought our early model Pacifica Touring-L (built before July 2016 - has the old style fuel flap) as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle with 19,200 miles on it. Within a week of buying it we got a CEL, took it to a nearby Advance Auto and read the code, P0456 - EVAP Very Small Leak. About 2 days and 300 miles later, the CEL went out on its own, which surprised me. The dealership we got the car from is a good 35 minutes away and we have little ones so I didn't yet make an appointment for a CEL that's no longer displayed. Maybe the purge valve had a singular episode of not sealing or actuating as it should? I'm suspecting that I'll see this light again in the not too distant future and have to try to get resolution - hopefully before my warranty period is up!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone else had a check engine light come on with OBD code "P0456 EVAP Small Leak"? Tomorrow my Pacifica goes back the second time in three weeks for this code.

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of a problem forcing a design change and if it was related to EVAP leaks.
I’m wondering what happened for you with this?

We are having the same thing. It comes, I clear it... a week to months and it returns. Very random. It’s a 2017 and has the first filler design, like yours.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn’t see the history when I searched. Does anyone have info on the purge solenoid part # location (I see “under the hood”, but would love more descriptive/picture). Thanks.

2nd EDIT: I think I found the part number - 4627694AB (replaces 4627694AA)

·
Registered
920 Posts

We are having the same thing. It comes, I clear it... a week to months and it returns. Very random. It’s a 2017 and has the first filler design, like yours.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn’t see the history when I searched. Does anyone have info on the purge solenoid part # location (I see “under the hood”, but would love more descriptive/picture). Thanks.

...the fact that they have an undated part may tell the problem.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)

@NoOne Two trips to get the EVAP purge valve replaced under warranty and no further problems. Others on this forum have had the same problem and solution. It is easy to replace. Location is right on top under the big black engine cover.

Steps...
1. Remove the engine cover
2. Disconnect the evaporator purge solenoid wire harness connector (1).
3. Remove the purge vapor line quick connect (1) from the purge solenoid
4. Remove the purge hose (2) from the intake manifold
5. Remove the purge solenoid (1) from the bracket

Good luck with yours!

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
@NoOne Two trips to get the EVAP purge valve replaced under warranty and no further problems. Others on this forum have had the same problem and solution. It is easy to replace. Location is right on top under the big black engine cover.

Steps...

Good luck with yours!

@BrettP, do you have the Service Manual? Wondering where you got the diagrams....:smile2:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@Longtimemopar - I thought I responded to this before...must not have hit send.

The pics came off the Internet at the time I had the work done because if not under warranty I would have been the poor sap stuck doing the repair myself as I usually get all the EVAP problems on various out of warranty family cars. There are many places a leak can occur to throw this code and you generally need a smoke machine to find them. I’ve seen the Pacifca DVD manual before and that’s generally the level of detail in it. The DVD is basically a parts locator with a couple sentences about removal. No schematics in it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
@Longtimemopar - I thought I responded to this before...must not have hit send.

The pics came off the Internet at the time I had the work done because if not under warranty I would have been the poor sap stuck doing the repair myself as I usually get all the EVAP problems on various out of warranty family cars. There are many places a leak can occur to throw this code and you generally need a smoke machine to find them. I’ve seen the Pacifca DVD manual before and that’s generally the level of detail in it. The DVD is basically a parts locator with a couple sentences about removal. No schematics in it.
...that's weird, I thought you did too......:confused: Maybe in a different thread...?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks for the updated part number. I am out of warranty and the van was throwing p0456 codes. I ordered it on eBay for $18 from a dealer on the west coast and installed it. So far so good.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Steps...

Good luck with yours!

Thanks- this was really helpful when I went to replace mine. FYI for anyone searching around- the quick connect hose comes off after you remove the red collar by pushing in the white "button" on the back side of the connector.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As an update to my post on this: my EVAP codes were caused by a faulty vapor canister by the fuel tank. $380 out of warranty to replace. Dealer had to do the smoke test.

Chet

Thanks for the updated part number. I am out of warranty and the van was throwing p0456 codes. I ordered it on eBay for $18 from a dealer on the west coast and installed it. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
As an update to my post on this: my EVAP codes were caused by a faulty vapor canister by the fuel tank. $380 out of warranty to replace. Dealer had to do the smoke test. Chet
Would you mind putting your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, build date, etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP? I had the CEL light and evap code recently, now the check engine light is off but problem probably still exists since it hasn't been worked on yet. It helps to give the service department any extra info that might help. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As an update to my post on this: my EVAP codes were caused by a faulty vapor canister by the fuel tank. $380 out of warranty to replace. Dealer had to do the smoke test. Chet
Would you mind putting your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, build date, etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP? I had the CEL light and evap code recently, now the check engine light is off but problem probably still exists since it hasn't been worked on yet. It helps to give the service department any extra info that might help. Thanks.
I don’t see the option (on mobile anyway) to add my vehicle to the User CP. In any event, I have a 2017 Touring-L with a build date of 9/16.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm glad to read others have had the issue apparently fixed.

About three weeks ago I bought our early model Pacifica Touring-L (built before July 2016 - has the old style fuel flap) as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle with 19,200 miles on it. Within a week of buying it we got a CEL, took it to a nearby Advance Auto and read the code, P0456 - EVAP Very Small Leak. About 2 days and 300 miles later, the CEL went out on its own, which surprised me. The dealership we got the car from is a good 35 minutes away and we have little ones so I didn't yet make an appointment for a CEL that's no longer displayed. Maybe the purge valve had a singular episode of not sealing or actuating as it should? I'm suspecting that I'll see this light again in the not too distant future and have to try to get resolution - hopefully before my warranty period is up!
All vehicles come with a extended warranty for powertrain and emission parts. 60 months or 60,000 miles for Powertrain (generally any component that touches a fluid). And 96 months or 80,000 miles for any major emission component (purge valves, vapor canister). Just because you are out of 3 year or 36,000 miles bumper to bumper coverage, you still get coverage for other parts of the car. Keep this in mind if you get an emission code.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
All vehicles come with a extended warranty for powertrain and emission parts. 60 months or 60,000 miles for Powertrain (generally any component that touches a fluid). And 96 months or 80,000 miles for any major emission component (purge valves, vapor canister). Just because you are out of 3 year or 36,000 miles bumper to bumper coverage, you still get coverage for other parts of the car. Keep this in mind if you get an emission code.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fake news. "The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer."

https://www.epa.gov/transportation-air-pollution-and-climate-change/frequent-questions-related-transportation-air

·
Registered
14 Posts
@BrettP thank you very much for your tips and "manual". Replacing the EVAP purge valve did help in my case. Since I made the replacement I'm driving now about 2 months without the MIL. It came out almost every week so in my case this simple fix resolved the problem.
Kindest regards from Poland :)
Mike

21 - 40 of 43 Posts