2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any DIYers flush their Pacifica's brake fluid yet? I will be attempting the job myself in the next six months or so, and I welcome any tips specific to the Pacifica like any special procedures for the AB S system. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica, Touring S, Black
109 Posts
I haven’t read a technical manual yet, but I’d assume you’d have to have a device to actuate the ABS module to the old fluid out. However, I’ve never done that on any of my vehicles. After a manual bleed with the help of my wife, I’ll go on a gravel road and do some stops to make the ABS work and get some of that old fluid out. If you change your fluid out regularly, it’s not really an issue.

There are tons of videos on YouTube you can find and it is really cheap to make your own bleeder (large water bottle and silicone tubing with a 1/4in inner diameter).You’ll also want to mind what order to bleed to calipers, but again I’m unaware of what the manual says.

It might be intimidating at first, but you’ll soon realize it’s not hard at all…And inexpensive! If you already have all of the right equipment, that is.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Have you hit 100,000 miles or 10 years yet? If not why are you changing it?

A dealer can have it done in 45 minutes for $89.99.

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
My owner's manual does not give the prescribed service schedule for changing out brake fluid, but I rarely wait for 100k miles before changing it. Brake fluid absorbs moisture over the months, and that lowers its boiling point and reduces its hydraulic effectiveness. I seriously think it should be done every 50k miles. A lot of folks have the brake fluid changed out at the same time they have new brakes installed, but apparently these Pacificas can go 75k+ on a set of brakes, a little too long to go before flushing the fluid IMHO.

Yes, lots of YouTube videos out there on flushing brake fluid on ABS systems.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
10 years 100,000 miles is the industry standard. The brake system is a sealed system. No water is going to be absorbed rapidly unless the cap is not sealed or removed. Some mechanic shops won't even do brake flushes. Which is dumb, it needs to be changed at some point. It doesn't last forever.

Reactions: freddief73

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
I've bled brake lines before, but never flushed them. Prefer to leave that to a professional using their device.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Reactions: Jeremy M.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have 2 vehicles Pacifica 2017 and Mercedes C43. I also have a brake fluid tester and a Brake Bleeder kit. When the fluid is about 2 years old or the water content of the brake fluid gets to 4%. I will change it out. Dealer will charge you $100 or more for the brake fluid change. If you are not a DIYer then you will want to get the fluid changed at the 2 year interval. Especially if you tow you want to exchange the brake fluid at the times needed. Water in the brake fluid lowers the boiling point and will cause brake fad when you need it most. Pacifica uses DOT3 brake fluid which has the lowest boiling point add water and it can be an issue when you the need the brakes at 100%.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also bought a bleeder kit. This makes changing the brake fluid very easy. It should be noted that when changing, you start with the brake caliper that is furthest away from the brake fluid reservoir. With the Pac so back right, then back left, front right and finally front left. If you flush the brake system well, you need about 1 liter of new brake fluid.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Funny Story...So I got a cut in the front tire and noticed it the day before Thanksgiving. So I went to the dealership to get it replaced. They had to order a replacement tire so I said go ahead and flush the brake fluid while it is in. Come back from the holiday and get the van home to find they did not flush the brake fluid. Tested and the fluid was 4% water. So back to dealership. They apologize and said they will flush it again. I know they did not flush it at all and many would have taken their word and never checked. I did check and found fraud. The brake flush after the second time proved to have been done correctly. So I guess the point of my response is to check the work you pay for because it's too easy to say you did service and just not do it.

Reactions: jashby

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica, Touring S, Black
109 Posts
Funny Story...So I got a cut in the front tire and noticed it the day before Thanksgiving. So I went to the dealership to get it replaced. They had to order a replacement tire so I said go ahead and flush the brake fluid while it is in. Come back from the holiday and get the van home to find they did not flush the brake fluid. Tested and the fluid was 4% water. So back to dealership. They apologize and said they will flush it again. I know they did not flush it at all and many would have taken their word and never checked. I did check and found fraud. The brake flush after the second time proved to have been done correctly. So I guess the point of my response is to check the work you pay for because it's too easy to say you did service and just not do it.
Shoot. Ridiculous! I changed the brake fluid in our other car 2 weeks before taking it in to have two engine mounts replaced. I got a phone call saying they highly recommended that I get my brake fluid changed immediately. I said I call that a scam! They were happy to get me out the door quickly after that. So sad they take advantage of people.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I finally got around to flushing the brake fluid. It was pretty easy. I didn't do anything special for the ABS, just use the pedal and my one-man-bleeder kit. Worked great. I did learn that the rear bleeder valve is a 10mm, while the front is 11 mm. After about 1.5 liters, the fluid is looking nice and clean. The pads have a lot of life on them too, which is crazy because I just turned 70k. Bought it with 15k on the odometer. I cleaned them up and added some fresh anti-sieze. Everything is working well now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My personal experience is as follows:
Interval for Brake Fluid Change - I usually do Brake Fluid and Brakes together. Typically when the brakes wear out I flush out the system as well. The way to tell if the brake fluid is going bad is when the brakes feel soft and need a longer foot travel to apply effectively. This is caused due to moisture and good indicator that the fluid needs to be changed. For me this has usually happened close to a 100k mark (2001 Nissan Altima, 2012 Honda CRV, 2008 VW Bug and my 2017 Pacy they all needed it around the 90k mark). Only exception being my Mx-5 which needed brakes more frequently 30-40k intervals.

Bleeding the brakes is really simple, however on the Pacifica the real challenge for me is how to get the vehicle on Jack Stands. Apart from the spot welds there is no other point to my knowledge to Jack the vehicle. Any help here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, I finally got around to flushing the brake fluid. It was pretty easy. I didn't do anything special for the ABS, just use the pedal and my one-man-bleeder kit. Worked great. I did learn that the rear bleeder valve is a 10mm, while the front is 11 mm. After about 1.5 liters, the fluid is looking nice and clean. The pads have a lot of life on them too, which is crazy because I just turned 70k. Bought it with 15k on the odometer. I cleaned them up and added some fresh anti-sieze. Everything is working well now.
Brake life depends a lot on where you live and drive. Here, there's a traffic light every 1/2 mile. Signals are somewhat synchronized to traffic flow on weekdays. What that means is that they are set for 45 mph, but the speed limits are 40 mph. So brake pad life is not as good as for people that get on the highway and drive 40 miles one-way, morning and evening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts