2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 PacHY 200,00+ Mile Club
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
As I suspected and is common with other EVs. To properly do a coolant change you need a scan tool so you can run the Aux Coolant Pump and open and close the valves in the system in addition to a vacuum setup to pull any air out. DIY it at your own risk. There's a good reason these vehicles have 10-year coolant in them. Changing it is a real pain and something only a shop can do correctly.
If I understand the schematic correctly these are not 3 independent cooling systems but all circulate from the same main system when they say it's a "combination of three interrelated cooling system loops". When I drained the fluid I was able to evacuate from the lower radiator hose 8qts of coolant. Why not do that 2 more times over the space of a few weeks and have 80%+ changed out at that point?

·
Administrator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,943 Posts
I'm surprised that the engine loop has to much coolant. But also surprised how little the battery and power electronics loops have. I would guess the pumps on the battery and power electronics loops have to move quite a bit of coolant when things start to get hot outside.
If you note the diagram for the engine coolant, you see hoses going back to the rear heater core for the third climate control zone (back seats). That would add a bunch to the coolant neede

Reactions: SKPacHy

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
1,022 Posts
If I understand the schematic correctly these are not 3 independent cooling systems but all circulate from the same main system when they say it's a "combination of three interrelated cooling system loops". When I drained the fluid I was able to evacuate from the lower radiator hose 8qts of coolant. Why not do that 2 more times over the space of a few weeks and have 80%+ changed out at that point?
No that’s not correct. The 3 loops are completely separate. They are interrelated, not interconnected. Interrelated in that some of them can transfer heat between each other. The engine loop can put heat into the battery loop, but it’s a heat transfer. Not a coolant transfer.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Here’s a more clear schematic of the layout.

Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Looks like there's some crossover at the interloop heat exchanger?
Well the key is right there in the name. Heat exchanger. Not coolant exchanger. It’s a plate style heat exchanger that moves heat from the high temperature loop into the battery loop. There’s also a plate heat exchanger (Trans Cooler on the diagram) on the power electronics loop that transfers heat from the transaxle fluid to the coolant in the loop. There’s also the chiller on the battery loop which is just another heat exchanger. This one transfers heat from the battery loop into the air conditioning refrigerant for battery cooling.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It only has 225,000. No joke

Guess I'm the guinea pig for high mileage PacHYs. Going where no PacHY has gone before!
225,000 miles? And has the coolant ever been replaced? If not obviously it needs to be done. The other issue is that many (most?) dealers have likely never done this procedure as much of the fleet just hasn’t gotten there yet. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2017 PacHY 200,00+ Mile Club
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
225,000 miles? And has the coolant ever been replaced? If not obviously it needs to be done. The other issue is that many (most?) dealers have likely never done this procedure as much of the fleet just hasn’t gotten there yet. Let us know how it goes.
Not that I'm aware of. I replaced about half of the engine coolant myself but you're right they probably don't have experience with it yet. They were giving me some ridiculous quotes for half a grand I can tell you that.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. I replaced about half of the engine coolant myself but you're right they probably don't have experience with it yet. They were giving me some ridiculous quotes for half a grand I can tell you that.
Well at MOPAR coolant prices half of that cost could be for the coolant itself. 21L of it. But at once every 10 years or 150,000 miles and considering the amount of work required that’s probably not far off.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts