2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not finding anything in searching. Curious if anyone here had taken this mod on?
If anyone has already done this, please post up your details.

I have found people on both sides that like/dislike the HL buttons being always on. For me, I wish this was not the case. Having this button hot at all times is a safety risk. Similar to just leaving a key to your front door sitting under the welcome mat at your house. I get that we should all be locking our cars overnight, but people DO make mistakes. Then take into account that if a thief really wants in a piece of door glass is only a minor annoyance.

With that in mind I have had HL devices in multiple cars. Most of them were only hot with key in ACC/ON, which was great. Two of them, both Toyotas notably, were always hot. I modified the wiring for both of those to change them to switched power.

Our 2005 Sienna was pretty easy, weird enough simply clipping a single wire. I followed someone elses work to complete this.

However our 2013 Highlander Hybrid required modification of the HL device itself to jump power connections. Because of the complexity of the change on this model, no one had documented this mod, so I did the research and documented the changes needed. All to very little fanfare. ;)

With these experiences in mind... I am going to tackle changing the PacHy visors power supply source for the homelink unit from hot to switched.

I don't have a timeline on this, as its not a high priority item, but I will post back here with details and pics once I take this on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Consolidating search prep before I tear things apart.

The vehicle connector going to the visor has three connector pins labeled A B C
B (black wire) in the middle is ground,
C (purple wire) is always 12V on my Limited.
A (yellow w/grey stripe wire) is almost always 12V (OFF, ACC, or RUN) with one interesting exception ... pin A drops from 12V to half voltage (yes, ~6.3V) only when I set the alarm. I should have put an oscilloscope on pin A to see if that was 6 V DC or an average of something else.
For anyone who prefers switched 12V power (RUN-ACC) for their Homelink visor upgrade, @daniel9478 posted the nearby center mirror connector pinout on another thread showing GND on pin 4 and switched power on pin 5:
Wire Dash Cam to Mirror Power
The Mopar connection repair kit site at Mopar Connection Repair Kit shows that there is no +5V (and really nothing of much interest) available at the mirror. The pinout is attached below.

Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Circle

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,380 Posts
I get that we should all be locking our cars overnight, but people DO make mistakes. Then take into account that if a thief really wants in a piece of door glass is only a minor annoyance.
The same thing goes for the windows and doors in your house. If a thief really wants to get in they will. Locks are only for law abiding citizens. They only slow down a thief, and cause more damage when the thief does choose your property.

Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The same thing goes for the windows and doors in your house. If a thief really wants to get in they will. Locks are only for law abiding citizens. They only slow down a thief, and cause more damage when the thief does choose your property.
So you never lock ANY doors, ever, then right? :rolleyes:

Its very easy to argue that a thief will break a car window way sooner than a house window. Near 100% of the time you can see if someone with a gun is sitting in the car or if there is a big dog, not so much if they break into a house...

IMO a mod like this is like locking your front door or buying car insurance. Plus even driving a minivan I am a car enthusiast and tinkerer, so I am interacting with my hobbies in trying to make the van a better fit for me.

You don't like it, or want to do it... fine.

Why post at all though...must be a slow news day.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,015 Posts
So you never lock ANY doors, ever, then right? :rolleyes:

Its very easy to argue that a thief will break a car window way sooner than a house window. Near 100% of the time you can see if someone with a gun is sitting in the car or if there is a big dog, not so much if they break into a house...

IMO a mod like this is like locking your front door or buying car insurance. Plus even driving a minivan I am a car enthusiast and tinkerer, so I am interacting with my hobbies in trying to make the van a better fit for me.

You don't like it, or want to do it... fine.

Why post at all though...must be a slow news day.
The same question could be directed at you - you're saying you never lock your van?

Per the owner's manual: "HomeLink is disabled when the Vehicle Security Alarm is active."

Reactions: stop-eject

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The same question could be directed at you - you're saying you never lock your van?
No. It can't. I literally said "I get that we should all be locking our cars overnight, but people DO make mistakes."

I lock my cars when they are not in use or not being interacted with... maintenance, washing, etc.
But people DO forget sometimes. And by people I mean ME.

Per the owner's manual: "HomeLink is disabled when the Vehicle Security Alarm is active."
I will have to double check this, I swear that I already did and it didn't but I will absolutely confirm.
If it does disable, great... that means if I remember to lock the car, that HL is disabled.
On the two cars homelinks that I modded prior... this was absolutely not the case.

But that still doesn't cover if I forget to lock the car, which is the risk I want to mitigate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

FYI. Just tested this with the wife, and I can confirm that on my 2021 pachy touring L S...

The homelink button still works 100% even when the car alarm is active, doors locked.

And we made sure the key was 20ft away so, it wasn't because the key was in the vehicle therefore keeping the unit active.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What exactly does the Homelink button allow somebody do that has you so concerned? Sorry not familiar with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What exactly does the Homelink button allow somebody do that has you so concerned? Sorry not familiar with it.
It's a garage door opener optionally built into the driver sunvisor. Some other cars have them built into the rear view mirror.

It gives them a "key" into my garage where thousands of dollars of 'car and tool stuff' lives, but then also gives access into my house as well... simply if I am foolish/forgetful enough to not lock the van overnight.

·
Registered
21' Pinnacle hybrid
45 Posts
FYI. Just tested this with the wife, and I can confirm that on my 2021 pachy touring L S...

The homelink button still works 100% even when the car alarm is active, doors locked.

And we made sure the key was 20ft away so, it wasn't because the key was in the vehicle therefore keeping the unit active.
That the homelink buttons operate even if the alarm is on is a problem and an unnecessary oversight on Chrysler's part. That's an easy way to get into a garage for those who park outside their homes.

A thief may not want to "break" into the living quarters in your home, but might want to steal a bounty in tools or bikes. Bike theft from garages is common in some areas.

I'd guess that a software update could address the operation of the buttons fairly easily, if the the will from Chrysler is there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd guess that a software update could address the operation of the buttons fairly easily, if the the will from Chrysler is there.
I won't be holding my breath.

It took them like 6+ months to fix the 2021 vrm firmware issue that black screened the rear tablets every time you launched a game.

Thankfully that's fixed, but that was also part of a $3k option package.

This is a failure with something that, as evidenced here, some people don't even consider a problem at all.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited
454 Posts
I agree that this is most definitely a security hazard. I purposely have not enabled the Homelink on my van as it simply makes it too easy for a thief to get into my garage (and house). Would be far more sensible if it was switched or linked to the key fob. Of course, if someone really wants to break in, they can, but this just makes it super easy for them. Bad thinking to make it operational 100% of the time,even if the car is locked, I tried it with the car locked and it still opened the door. I for one would like to change how it is operated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you made me think and I agreed with you for 2 minutes. I have other cars that do not have HL built in. Those cats have a garage door opener remote clipped to the visor…. Should I take it with me?
There is a locked site between the garage and the house. I treat my garage as outdoors. It’s not hard to force the garage door up. It takes little force.
Plus… since there is a program HL in the car, that means you’re using it. That means you’re parking inside the garage, like me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you made me think and I agreed with you for 2 minutes. I have other cars that do not have HL built in. Those cats have a garage door opener remote clipped to the visor…. Should I take it with me?
There is a locked site between the garage and the house. I treat my garage as outdoors. It’s not hard to force the garage door up. It takes little force.
Plus… since there is a program HL in the car, that means you’re using it. That means you’re parking inside the garage, like me.
My miata doesn't have homelink, so I use a separate remote but I do not leave it in the car. When I was commuting I would even take it with me into the office while the car sat parked. Just in case someone broke in and got my registration and remote too.

Same thing with our eGolf, until I installed the homelink mirror would not leave the remote in the car overnight.

But also, we have 4 cars. Which means they all don't get to park inside. We have a number of house things going on which means 2-3 of the 4 are outside at all times.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
439 Posts
You can also just erase the codes from the homelink and not use it. I have a 2 car garage and 5 cars in the driveway needless to say my Pacifica resides outside and I never programed the homelink system to open the garage. Chamberlain also sells a fob style remote to put on your keychain.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can also just erase the codes from the homelink and not use it. I have a 2 car garage and 5 cars in the driveway needless to say my Pacifica resides outside and I never programed the homelink system to open the garage. Chamberlain also sells a fob style remote to put on your keychain.
Or I can find a way to mod the unit as I have done in the past on other cars, and use it as it should have been designed.

You do realize that the homelink unit is typically a pay option. If I am paying for an option it would be nice to be able to use it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts