2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm from northern Canada and winter is coming...!
We purchased a brand new pacifica hybrid 2020 and received it late in the summer. I have'nt got my head under the hood much since then.
Last night was pretty cold and I wanted to check for the block heater 120V power cord and haven't found it. Some picture and video state that it it pretty obvious right behind the passenger side headlight, but didn't see it. Does the Plug-in hybrid version even have it? Is the block heater powered trhought the battery charging port on the vehicule side?

Please help this noob, because will get -30 C (-20 F) this winter and don't want to damage the engine while starting it.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
947 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm from northern Canada and winter is coming...!
We purchased a brand new pacifica hybrid 2020 and received it late in the summer. I have'nt got my head under the hood much since then.
Last night was pretty cold and I wanted to check for the block heater 120V power cord and haven't found it. Some picture and video state that it it pretty obvious right behind the passenger side headlight, but didn't see it. Does the Plug-in hybrid version even have it? Is the block heater powered trhought the battery charging port on the vehicule side?

Please help this noob, because will get -30 C (-20 F) this winter and don't want to damage the engine while starting it.
The Engine Block Heater (option code NHK) was optional for all gas models, but for whatever reason was not available for the hybrids. It needs to be plugged into a standard 120V AC outlet for power. You should be able to add the factory block heater if you wanted to though. It doesn't look too difficult to install yourself. It appears to be permanently mounted to the left (front) side of the block above the A/C compressor, behind the water pump, and below the idler pulley bracket. I've attached some pictures below so you can see where it goes. These were snipped from another YouTube video that copied this one from 2016, so disregard the 2021 Pacifica picture in the corners. The hole with the yellow circle around it in the first picture is where it's supposed to go. I attached a second picture that had all the other stuff installed so you'd have a better idea of where to look.

Pentastar_Upgrade_block_heater_location1.jpg

Pentastar_Upgrade_block_heater_location2.jpg

The engine block heater itself, mounting bolt, and the cord are sold separately under part numbers 4609325AB, 6501957, and 68248995AC respectively. As far as I can tell, the OEM engine block heater appears to be identical to an aftermarket Zerostart/Temro heater (p/n 3100128) which includes the cord and may be cheaper to buy. The OEM cord will probably have perfectly placed clips on it because it is made specifically for the 2017+ Pacifica, but the Zerostart cord would also work fine. If you get the Zerostart heater you'll need to purchase the mounting bolt separately. You can just get a flanged bolt from a local hardware store. The specs for the bolt you need are M6 x 1.0 x 20mm (diameter x thread pitch x length).

Reactions: irl

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't really think you'd need a block heater unless you were just concerned about thick oil on cold starts. The Hybrid has immediate electric heating, and uses a much more powerful and smoother electric motor to start the engine vs a traditional starter which will struggle in extreme cold.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I think the ability to heat the oil and then not use it would lead to a lot of potential condensation in the pan as the heating and cooling for non usage . Even in coldest day here in Toronto the engine cycles for a bit then goes into quiet mode .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, how did it survive the winter? I'm in Canada and about to buy our Pacifica hybrid, and morning temperatures are regularly below -30 in the winter. Did you get a block heater added or was it fine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, how did it survive the winter? I'm in Canada and about to buy our Pacifica hybrid, and morning temperatures are regularly below -30 in the winter. Did you get a block heater added or was it fine?
Not OP, but here in Montreal my 2020 hybrid made it through the first winter with no issues at all. Started immediately every time, even below -30.

Reactions: r757s and Tri-C
1 - 7 of 7 Posts