2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be registering in NJ and NJ dealers seem to take $2,000 to $3,000 off MSRP for Limited PacHy but i noticed a dealer in Virginia is taking $7,000 off MSRP ! ! !

what's going on ?

is that some kind of scam or is that a Virginia thing ?

is he pocketing the Tax incentive or something ?

it's a pretty big dealership and they have more than one PacHy with this discount ...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Unless the VA cars are 2018s, the dealer quotes the price including exotic rebates you will never qualify for or something similar. Would be easier to tell with a link to the dealer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
More than a few people on this forum bought their Pacifica out of state at a dealer local to me in Ohio (Falls Motor City) because they could not find a deal as good locally. Some dealers do indeed advertise with discounts that only military members that just graduated college could possibly qualify for. Some dealers genuinely work on volume and truly advertise insane low prices that everyone qualifies for.

I bought my RAM used out of State in Virginia because I could not find a truck with the options I wanted locally, and the Virginia dealer (Koons) paid for a one way plane ticket out there up to $400.

Generally speaking, you are responsible for tax where you live, not where you buy. Most dealers know how to accommodate this, and will collect accordingly and pay your state directly. Many states also account for some form of tax reciprocity, and if tax was collected out of state, your local title bureau will likely only hold you liable for any local overage required if the tax collected and shown on the buyers agreement is less than your local rate. You may also have to pay a few bucks to get an out of state inspection of the VIN, which is something like a $3.50 required bit of paperwork here in Ohio.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i will be registering in NJ and NJ dealers seem to take $2,000 to $3,000 off MSRP for Limited PacHy but i noticed a dealer in Virginia is taking $7,000 off MSRP ! ! !

what's going on ?

is that some kind of scam or is that a Virginia thing ?

is he pocketing the Tax incentive or something ?

it's a pretty big dealership and they have more than one PacHy with this discount ...
Most likely they're including the federal $7500 tax credit, which isn't included when you purchase it. The credit is applied in the following year towards the federal tax owed.
If the dealership is including it then that's an indication that they're kinda scammy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Most likely they're including the federal $7500 tax credit, which isn't included when you purchase it. The credit is applied in the following year towards the federal tax owed.
If the dealership is including it then that's an indication that they're kinda scammy.
knowing dealers if i ask this on the phone they will lie about it and tell me to come over ... which is an entire day of driving.

they do this all the time - no matter what question you ask over the phone they say everything is great just come over - then when you do it's like oh i dunno who told you that you would have to speak to them.

anyway seems like it's more than 1 dealer as well.

can't post links yet - go to Autotrader and put in 20151 for zip code. within 25 mile radius they have four 2019 PacHy LIMITED for $40,900 and out of all 2019 PacHy Limited ( they have 18 of them in 25 mile radius ) they are on average about $6,000 off MSRP ( so a typical PacHy limited will be $42,000 with $48,000 msrp ).

maybe they're just over-stocked ? that's a lot of Pacifica Hybrids in a 25 mile radius ...

also of note i went to dealer's own website and couldn't find even one PacHy although he has several on AutoTrader ...

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
they do this all the time - no matter what question you ask over the phone they say everything is great just come over - then when you do it's like oh i dunno who told you that you would have to speak to them.

anyway seems like it's more than 1 dealer as well. ...
And that person whom you spoke with will invariably be on leave or out of town that day when you visit the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
knowing dealers if i ask this on the phone they will lie about it and tell me to come over ... which is an entire day of driving.

anyway seems like it's more than 1 dealer as well.

can't post links yet - go to Autotrader and put in 20151 for zip code. within 25 mile radius they have four 2019 PacHy LIMITED for $40,900 and out of all 2019 PacHy Limited ( they have 18 of them in 25 mile radius ) they are on average about $6,000 off MSRP ( so a typical PacHy limited will be $42,000 with $48,000 msrp ).

maybe they're just over-stocked ? that's a lot of Pacifica Hybrids in a 25 mile radius ...

also of note i went to dealer's own website and couldn't find even one PacHy although he has several on AutoTrader ...
Their disclosure says they don't include the student and military rebates, and $6k off is not quite the Fed. tax credit.

I don't know the current state of PacHy pricing, I surely didn't get anywhere near that price year and half ago. At this point I would give them a call. Tell them that you will come down, but most of the paperworks should be done over email. Spend enough time getting familiar with the numbers, so they couldn't pull some unwanted changes. Keep in mind, VA dealers charge $800 "processing fee" not included in the quote. I think it is the highest in the country.
I've purchased out of state before, has zero issues. The dealer can calculate your state tax and apply for tags.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Only one of those at Koon’s has the AST package. I can’t imagine buying a Limited without that. It’s an incredible value for the $995 price of the option. Not having it will likely impact the resale value of the van quite a bit.

I bought a 2019 from Criswell Chrysler in MD on Friday. Great price—thousands better than I could get here in MN. Absolutely incredible service from the team there. Carl (salesman), Kevin (manager), and Thong (finance) took great care of me when something unexpected came up. I’ve never had a better car buying experience from beginning to end. Carl is active on the forum here, which is how I found them. More to come a bit later when I have time for a longer post.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i have a 360 degree camera on my 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE and it is pretty sweet ...

however i highly doubt that 10 years from now when you're selling the van your $1,000 AST package will net you even $500 extra in resale value so i don't think that's a good reason to get it ...

i mean imagine if somebody paid $3,000 on a GPS option on a Mercedes 10 years ago ... he probably won't even get extra $500 for it selling the car today ...

latest technology is a poor investment ...

on that thought ... maybe i should just get a Honda just kidding LOL

that would be too boring ...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The technology will be so common in a few years that people will look at a vehicle without it the same way we’d look at a vehicle without cruise control.
when i was getting a car last year the non-negotiable feature for me was backup camera with dynamic gridlines.

this time around i still want that but also full-range radar-adaptive cruise control. frankly they should make it mandatory on all new vehicles just like seatbelts.

anyway i think it should be more about what YOU need in a car. if you don't need something i wouldn't pay for it just out of resale value considerations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adaptive cruise is pretty awesome. Used it most of the back to MN from MD this weekend. Makes for much easier and less fatiguing driving.
yes but in particular i want the kind that will bring a car to a complete stop ( for example when cars completely stop in rush hour traffic ).

i hope the one in PacHy can do it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
yes but in particular i want the kind that will bring a car to a complete stop ( for example when cars completely stop in rush hour traffic ).

i hope the one in PacHy can do it.
It can. If the car stops for more than a few seconds you have to either press the resume button or briefly press the accelerator pedal to get it moving again.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
So, have talked to the VA dealer? Carl posted a deal yesterday. $3500 off+ $1000 rebate +$500 savings on the MD vs VA dealer fee, the total is $5000 off. So $7000 off in VA on less desirable configurations may not that far fetched.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, have talked to the VA dealer? Carl posted a deal yesterday. $3500 off+ $1000 rebate +$500 savings on the MD vs VA dealer fee, the total is $5000 off. So $7000 off in VA on less desirable configurations may not that far fetched.
i'm not actually in the market for a car for the next 3 weeks or so, at which point i will need to decide if i want the Pacifica or not and if yes then i doubt i will be calling anybody - i just have zero trust.

i would go down there if they have an abundance of cars in configurations not available here locally - for example i really like the mocha interior and they don't seem to have it here.

if i do show up there i will have to somehow conceal the fact that i came there for a specific car or they will not let me get it - this happened to me twice already in the past - when they know that you know exactly what you came for they make sure you don't get it so they can go to bed rejoicing over the fact that they were able to screw somebody that day.

instead you have to wait for them to start talking and act like you're kinda lost and don't know what you're doing there - this makes them feel in control rather than defensive and they start trying to push the car on you, which is what you want ...

·
Registered
523 Posts
i'm not actually in the market for a car for the next 3 weeks or so, at which point i will need to decide if i want the Pacifica or not and if yes then i doubt i will be calling anybody - i just have zero trust.

i would go down there if they have an abundance of cars in configurations not available here locally - for example i really like the mocha interior and they don't seem to have it here.

if i do show up there i will have to somehow conceal the fact that i came there for a specific car or they will not let me get it - this happened to me twice already in the past - when they know that you know exactly what you came for they make sure you don't get it so they can go to bed rejoicing over the fact that they were able to screw somebody that day.

instead you have to wait for them to start talking and act like you're kinda lost and don't know what you're doing there - this makes them feel in control rather than defensive and they start trying to push the car on you, which is what you want ...
They aren't evil enemies. Just get in writing their best out the door price with everything broken out. If they don't want to do that, just go onto the next dealership. There's a zillion posts on here about how to get a fair deal and not get screwed over.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

You shouldn't come down without doing most of the documents remotely. You need to account every financial details and will need to have the VIN, so you could know exactly what you are getting. It is not that hard. You can always post what they offer with the personal info redacted and people here would be happy to look it over.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You shouldn't come down without doing most of the documents remotely. You need to account every financial details and will need to have the VIN, so you could know exactly what you are getting. It is not that hard. You can always post what they offer with the personal info redacted and people here would be happy to look it over.
so you want me to pay for the car without looking at it ?

or to tell the dealer that i'm definitely getting the car without actually signing anything and spending a day driving to find out he decided to increase the price by $3,000 because oops he made a mistake when we previously discussed the price ...

i'm not sure what you're suggesting ?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used car without driving it first, but why would you need to drive a brand new one? You had you test drives already, right? Ask how many miles are on the odometer to make sure that it had no extensive test drive history and you'll be good. I've never test driven the new cars I bought. Most of them were factory ordered, and one on the lot I bought out of state.

As for the $3000 price "mistake", franchised new car dealers are not that sleazy anymore. They will pressure you to buy "protection", "nitrogen fill" and so on, but you can (and should) say no to everything.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts