2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 hybrid with 4,500K on it. The oil life is at 72% which seems OK against the 10K in the maintenance schedule but it also says the interval should be 12 months and I've had the car for 23 months now. I got the U73 and U94 safety recalls done and I'm wondering if they either did an oil change and just didn't put it on the receipt or if the updates reset the oil life clock. Everything I've read on here says the car is smart and just trust the indicator and that's what I've been doing so far but I'm starting to lose faith in it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
They probably didn't do an oil change. If you drive it often for just short trips, then it may be time to change the oil.

Just curious, why are you driving less than 200 miles per month? Your hybrid batteries probably don't like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They probably didn't do an oil change. If you drive it often for just short trips, then it may be time to change the oil.
I guess I'm left wondering then; is just trusting the oil life indicator not a safe plan? I'm also still wondering if its algorithm takes age into account.

Just curious, why are you driving less than 200 miles per month? Your hybrid batteries probably don't like that.
Thankfully it's due to a very short commute. Certainly it puts a lot more cycles on the batteries but that's the whole reason I wanted a low range PHEV. Are you suggesting that there's some other negative effect that low mileage would have on the batteries?

·
Registered
252 Posts
The owners manual says to change according to the oil life indicator, 12 months or 10.000 miles whichever comes first. Based on the wording, I didn't expect my oil life indicator to automatically take time or mileage into account... I think it's gotten pretty low (20ish) when I've done my oil changes but usually I reach 10,000 miles before either of the other two.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I guess I'm left wondering then; is just trusting the oil life indicator not a safe plan? I'm also still wondering if its algorithm takes age into account.

Yes, change it once a year, at least.
Thankfully it's due to a very short commute. Certainly it puts a lot more cycles on the batteries but that's the whole reason I wanted a low range PHEV. Are you suggesting that there's some other negative effect that low mileage would have on the batteries?
It depends on your daily mileage. Your HV batteries need to be charged and discharged frequently to keep them in top shape. You also need to refresh your gas supply more often. Take your van out for weekend joy rides! It'll hurt the planet more to have to replace the batteries. ;)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have 14,000 miles and 10 months. Havent kept a specific log, but I would say 1/2 to 2/3 are electric. The oil life indicator says is have 5% remaining...
That would be probably an ideal usage pattern. Change your oil now. Don't wait for 0%! :cool:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have another low mileage van. Mine is 2 years and 5 months old. I took it in for an oil change on its first birthday at around 4,700 miles. The oil life meter showed about 60% life remaining if I remember correctly. I took it in again for another oil change on its second birthday at 9,700 miles and the oil life meter showed about 5% this time. Five months later it is at 10,600 miles and the oil life meter reads 59%. So I believe that for its first year it was measuring mileage only, but for the second and third years it is measuring the greater of both time and mileage since the last oil change. This makes some sense if you consider the case where a new car sat on the dealer lot for six months without being driven. You wouldn't want the oil life to read 50% remaining when the purchaser drove it off the lot. After the oil has been changed and the meter has been reset it makes sense to switch to measuring both time and mileage.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
216 Posts
Did you check the oil life monitor after the first oil change to ensure it had been reset?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know the answer to this. It's no. There is no notification from the system when you exceed the mileage or time recommendations or both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 hybrid with 4,500K on it. The oil life is at 72% which seems OK against the 10K in the maintenance schedule but it also says the interval should be 12 months and I've had the car for 23 months now. I got the U73 and U94 safety recalls done and I'm wondering if they either did an oil change and just didn't put it on the receipt or if the updates reset the oil life clock. Everything I've read on here says the car is smart and just trust the indicator and that's what I've been doing so far but I'm starting to lose faith in it.

You should change the oil annually regardless of miles. And be sure that the oil life indicator is reset. You should also take it out for a longer ride periodically to make sure the engine gets used and that the fluids have a chance to heat up and circulate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2017 hybrid here. My owner's manual lists the first oil change at 2 years or 20k miles, then annually thereafter. I was in the same boat as far as driving low miles, so as I recall it took quite a while for that oil change light to come on. I think I've only done one oil change in the 3 years I've had the van.

·
Registered
366 Posts
MY OPINION.
You cannot hurt anything by changing oil too frequently, you can only cause harm by not changing it frequently enough.
I change my oil at 5,000 miles - filter also - I don't drive a lot and acids/condensation can accumulate in the oil from short runs.
I do it myself - it is easy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
2017 hybrid here. My owner's manual lists the first oil change at 2 years or 20k miles, then annually thereafter. I was in the same boat as far as driving low miles, so as I recall it took quite a while for that oil change light to come on. I think I've only done one oil change in the 3 years I've had the van.
I have a 2017 Hybrid also. Page 450 of the Owners Manual (Service and Maintenance section)... the recommendations for every 12 months or 10,000 miles are not new.

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Even if the vehicle is driven, such that it operates primarily
in electric mode, the engine oil still requires changing. An
engine oil change maintenance reminder message will be
provided based on vehicle use and time since last oil
change. Refer to the “Scheduled Servicing” in this section
for further information.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change inter-
vals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350
hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350
hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern
for fleet customers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2017 Hybrid also. Page 450 of the Owners Manual (Service and Maintenance section)... the recommendations for every 12 months or 10,000 miles are not new.

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Even if the vehicle is driven, such that it operates primarily
in electric mode, the engine oil still requires changing. An
engine oil change maintenance reminder message will be
provided based on vehicle use and time since last oil
change. Refer to the “Scheduled Servicing” in this section
for further information.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change inter-
vals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350
hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350
hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern
for fleet customers.
Sorry, I should clarify that I'm looking at the user guide that came with the vehicle, not the larger owner's manual that they have online. Page 238 of the user guide lists the maintenance intervals, and the first one is at 20k miles or 2 years. I saw the part you mentioned in the manual as well, so it seems Chrysler has a contradiction in their documentation. I guess the simple solution is to just follow the oil change indicator and hope it's accurate. As I said, it took quite a while for the indicator to come on for me, around 2 years, so that seems to validate the info in the user guide.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
FWIW, I would never leave oil in any vehicle for two years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The owners manual says to change according to the oil life indicator, 12 months or 10.000 miles whichever comes first. Based on the wording, I didn't expect my oil life indicator to automatically take time or mileage into account... I think it's gotten pretty low (20ish) when I've done my oil changes but usually I reach 10,000 miles before either of the other two.
I have tried looking in the manual for the information of the oil change, 12 months or 10,000 miles, and I can’t find that exact wording.
Can you give me the page number where the information wording is located?
Than you

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have tried looking in the manual for the information of the oil change, 12 months or 10,000 miles, and I can’t find that exact wording.
Can you give me the page number where the information wording is located?
Than you
Ok, I found it on page 448 on my 2017 Hybrid manual.
Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts