2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minivan sales are tanking, and that means the PacHy sales are probably sinking even more.

Article

Still think minivans are more sensible than SUVs, but the market disagrees.:|

·
Registered
345 Posts
There is no accounting for taste...:wink2:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Minivan sales are tanking, and that means the PacHy sales are probably sinking even more.

Article

Tanking is quite an exaggeration, at least from looking at Jan US sales. Pacifica outsold a bunch of popular SUVS, like the Tahoe, Sorento, Pathfinder, Ascent, Yukon, Durango, Suburban, etc, which are all pretty much down as well (except the Ascent being new). And it's easily outselling all the minivans except the Caravan. Maybe the other months are different but I was too lazy to google. And of course the numbers can be skewed by rental and fleet sales, but I don't know if they're included.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Times are changing, and this is as much a reflection on the domestic auto industry as it is the minivan market.

Fuel prices are slowly increasing, and while we may not see four dollars per gallon for quite some time, the cost of driving an inefficient vehicle will likely continue to rise. On top of that, electric and hybrid vehicles are being mandated by governments around the world as they move towards more strict efficiency and emissions requirements. People are always going to purchase their large SUVs and trucks for variety of reasons, many of which simply because they like the appearance of driving something like that. But I think we will see more minivans on the road in the coming years.

·
Registered
285 Posts
No explaining taste for pickup trucks which are hot sellers. Today's paper described the trend to extreme luxury pickups with features and trim approaching Cadillac or BMV levels. Prices are approaching $80,000 with one in ten F-150s going for over $60,000! In my world, a pickup is a heavy-duty, dirty hauler. The interior gets muddy and the bed totes landscape material, tools and whatever. Yet these feature laden luxury vehicles are selling like hotcakes.

My neighbor had one of these high priced trucks and always kept the bed covered to keep it clean. Go figure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I couldn't wait for an excuse to buy a minivan. I grew up in minivans when I was little and loved it. I couldn't justify the spare metal and fuel consumption without reasoning, but the hybrid and twins resolved both those issues for me LOL.

·
Registered
285 Posts
agreed!

I couldn't wait for an excuse to buy a minivan. I grew up in minivans when I was little and loved it. I couldn't justify the spare metal and fuel consumption without reasoning, but the hybrid and twins resolved both those issues for me LOL.
We have had minivans for 31 years and, even with no kids in house, we still have one. Would not have it any other way. PS, I am 71.

·
Registered
334 Posts
No explaining taste for pickup trucks which are hot sellers. Today's paper described the trend to extreme luxury pickups with features and trim approaching Cadillac or BMV levels. Prices are approaching $80,000 with one in ten F-150s going for over $60,000! In my world, a pickup is a heavy-duty, dirty hauler. The interior gets muddy and the bed totes landscape material, tools and whatever. Yet these feature laden luxury vehicles are selling like hotcakes.

My neighbor had one of these high priced trucks and always kept the bed covered to keep it clean. Go figure.
It's a good thing your neighbor's the one who has to justify such a purchase, not you. Most people don't seem to be as pragmatic as your average minivan owner, and many of them are happy to pay to drive something they see as a status symbol. To each their own, by the most of us have better use for funds.

I never make fun of people for that, though. Everybody deserves to pursue happiness however they see it, even if it's in a way I disagree with.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We have had minivans for 31 years and, even with no kids in house, we still have one. Would not have it any other way. PS, I am 71.

Agree! I had a van before kids and will have one when they are gone. It the MOST functional vehicle!
John

·
Registered
26 Posts
My excuse pre-baby was transporting the bikes. :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Most auto brands were down, its not just a minivan thing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My excuse pre-baby was transporting the bikes. :)

That's exactly my purpose - you can stand a bike inside and not lay it down like in an SUV or carry it outside on a rack. I was racing my bike a ton before kids - still do a little and love being able to roll it in without any disassembly - FUNCTIONAL!!

·
Registered
529 Posts

I have one of each. A PacHy for daily driving and a diesel F250 as my backup. My wife and I carpool to work in the PacHy, and drive it 15k - 16k miles/year.

My F250 probably goes 5k miles in a year. It's a King Ranch, and every bit as nice inside as my PacHy Platinum. It always has a bed cover on it. It's covering my 5th wheel hitch and assorted tools/equipment. About half of those 5k miles are with a 12k lb trailer on the back. It's my vacation cruiser. If I want to get dirty or laod heavy crap, I have a little flatbed for that. Much lower load height.

You may use a truck for dirt, I use it as a luxury travel vehicle pulling my portable hotel. Everyone spends their own money I guess.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I love my pachybrid and it’s a daily driver . I love the fact the govt gave me 14 thousand off the purchase . The ability to drive and get the gas mileage thru hybrid mode is incredible. i love the style, space and functionality of it all. If I want something different I open on of the garage doors and pull the cover back on the acr-aeroxtrm viper . I always say , never judge a book by its cover .....

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

Article

I like how everyone is discussing the article without reading it. The link is broken by the overzealous forum decency robot because it contains a word "dаmn" in it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I like how everyone is discussing the article without reading it. The link is broken by the overzealous forum decency robot because it contains a word "dаmn" in it.
I read it yesterday, it's even in my history, so it was working then, weird. This should work: http://tinyurl.com/frig123

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve had every incarnation of Chrysler minivans and loaded them up with a lot of miles and equipment and camping gear, rigged fly rods, bikes, kids and their stuff and all sorts of things. I liked having that stuff inside with me safe and sound. (Easter Egg... every rendition of Chrysler minivans can be seen on the lower console rubber mat)
When I used them on the job in metrology gear sales, I could have my flyfishing gear sometimes including a one-man inflatable pontoon boat in the back behind the back seats. No one, customers or yuppity-yups visiting, were aware of my secret life while on the road. Thanks minivan.
Now that I’m ancient and decrepit, the Pacy makes camping a whole lot easier. No more messing with putting up and most times, taking down the drying out all that camping gear. Perhaps FCA will consider making a beefier minivan with real 4WD, great ground clearance, removable screens and a solar fan system to cool it off inside even when it’s doing nothing but sitting in a parking lot in the hot, blazing sun. A lot of the above can be done in a huge, gas guzzling suv but then it’s a huge, ostentatious gas guzzler!
My how times change. I used to almost whine when I asked Dad to borrow the car on a Saturday night and he would toss me the keys to his step-side. Cruising the drive-ins or Woodward in a pick-up was about the most uncool of things. Besides, that pickup nosed dived big-time when taking the Ashland Bump!
I feel in my bones that the Pacifica is the near-perfect choice for my needs and lifestyle. Another huge point for minivans is that cops don’t seem to notice them should I ‘accidentally’ find myself exceeding the speed limit. If I want to get trite I can always look down my nose at those other minivans!
You might thank me for inventing the practical minivan. I worked for a while at Warren Truck where they made the big vans popular in the 70-80’s and entered a suggestion, complete with sketches, that Dodge build a small, fuel efficient van during the looming gas crunch. I still wonder about that one. Another was at the Int’l Auto Show at Cobo Hall when I suggested to some engineers manning the Caravan exhibit that they come up with some sort of collapsible seating that would prevent people like me from hurting their backs and almost losing fingers wrestling with that heavy, monstrous seats we had to contend with back then. Say ‘thanks Jack’!
Question and even more off the subject... on the inside edge of your sun visors there’s a small plastic gizmo with a paper clip embossed on it. What is it besides Easter Egg #2?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts