2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new to post but certainly not new to this forum. I read a few articles to know that I have to replace my drivers side control arm and ball joint assembly on my 2018 Pac Limited (clunking noice over bumps, etc.) Vehicle has 60k+ miles so it’s out of warranty.

I have not come across anything specific to the actual replacement process and dealer would charge $800+ for this job (whereas part would cost $200 for my DIY job). Has anyone done this replacement or willing to share the step by step from the service manual?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
REMOVAL
  1. Raise and support the vehicle
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly
  3. Remove the front belly pan
  4. Remove the front wheelhouse splash shield.
  5. Remove and DISCARD the lower ball joint pinch bolt (2).

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

NOTE:
    Use care when separating the ball joint stud from the knuckle so the ball joint boot does not get cut.
  6. Pry down on the control arm until the ball joint stud is clear of the knuckle. Position the knuckle assembly to the side until it is clear of the ball joint stud. Slowly release the control arm.
  7. Remove and DISCARD both front lower control arm to subframe mounting bolts (1).
    Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire White
  8. Remove and DISCARD the three rear lower control arm to subframe mounting bolts (2).
  9. Remove the lower control arm (3) from the vehicle.
INSTALLATION
  1. Position the lower control arm (3) against the subframe. (Picture above)
  2. Install two NEW front lower control arm to subframe mounting bolts (1). Do not tighten at this time.
  3. Install three NEW rear lower control arm to subframe mounting bolts (2). Do not tighten at this time.
  4. Position the ball joint stud in the steering knuckle and install a NEW ball joint stud pinch bolt (2) and tighten to the proper torque. .
  5. Install the front splash wheelhouse.
  6. Install the front belly pan
  7. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  8. Remove the support and lower the vehicle.
  9. Position the vehicle on an alignment rack. Raise vehicle as necessary to access mounting bolts.
  10. Tighten the two front lower control arm to subframe mounting bolts to the proper torque. .
  11. Tighten the three rear lower control arm to subframe mounting bolts to the proper torque.
Specifications

DESCRIPTION
N·m
Ft. Lbs.
COMMENT
Ball Joint Stud Pinch Bolt​
105​
77​
Do not reuse fastener. If removed, a new fastener must be installed and tightened to specifications.
Crossmember Bolts​
100​
74​
Hub And Bearing Mounting Bolts​
57​
44​
Do not reuse fastener. If removed, a new fastener must be installed and tightened to specifications.
Lower Control Arm to Front Body Mounting Bolt​
160​
118​
Lower Control Arm to Front Subframe Mounting Bolts​
250​
184​
Lower Control Arm to Rear Subframe Mounting Bolts​
105​
77​
Stabilizer Bar Bracket Bolts​
58​
43​
Stabilizer Bar Link Mounting Nuts​
101​
74​
Strut Clevis-to-Knuckle Nuts (Built Before Jan 12, 2018)​
202​
149​
Strut Clevis-to-Knuckle Nuts (Built On Or After Jan 12, 2018)
98​
72​
Strut Rod Nut​
93​
69​
Strut Upper Mount Plate Nuts​
23​
17​

WHEEL AND TIRE TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS
Lug Nut/Bolt Torque
**Lug Nut/Bolt Size
Lug Nut/Bolt Socket Size
100 Ft-Lbs (135 N·m)​
M12 x 1.5​
19 mm​
** Use only your Authorized Dealer recommended lug nuts/bolts and clean or remove any dirt or oil before tightening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah dealer or just one of the OEM MOPAR parts websites. The hardware is pretty cheap after you spend the big bucks on the control arm.

I was a little intimidated in doing this procedure due to alignment requirement. If this this in my garage at home, I would still need to get it aligned and somehow get it to the dealer and pay $150 for the alignment. Do you have any tips on that?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I successfully changed mine with an aftermarket arm from RockAuto, cost was around 240 and 40 for the replacement bolts from the dealer. Not a fun job, but beats paying the dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@turbolxstang - glad you were able to get the job done! My quote from the dealer was around $900, so you've done it for about 1/3 of the cost. I am curious, after you reassembled everything together, did you get the alignment completed? Procedure #9 under the Installation section above. I just have never done anything major with steering components.

9. Position the vehicle on an alignment rack. Raise vehicle as necessary to access mounting bolts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@turbolxstang - glad you were able to get the job done! My quote from the dealer was around $900, so you've done it for about 1/3 of the cost. I am curious, after you reassembled everything together, did you get the alignment completed? Procedure #9 under the Installation section above. I just have never done anything major with steering components.
No need for an alignment, nothing was changed the way I did it, I think I did it the hard way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts