2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a 2019 Pacifica Hybrid but am wondering how well it does in snow. I realize that has a lot to my driving ability but I have had many front wheel drive cars that did very well and currently have one that does not. I am interested in hearing from an owner with a PHEV Pacifica who has drive in snowy conditions.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am considering getting a 2019 Pacifica Hybrid but am wondering how well it does in snow. I realize that has a lot to my driving ability but I have had many front wheel drive cars that did very well and currently have one that does not. I am interested in hearing from an owner with a PHEV Pacifica who has drive in snowy conditions.
I have a gaser but and can tell you my 20" factory wheel and tires have been crap in the snow. Careful straight driving at a decent speed in the snow is doable but the van is so dang heavy that stopping or turning require allot of lead time to do it slowly and safely. I plan on getting Michelins when these tired get replaced - they have been the best all season tires I've ever had probably the only thing better would be to get actual snow tires. I have big industrial zip ties to put thru the rim and around the tire like a speedy cheap snow "chain" in the van to put on the tires if I'm ever in a crazy snow situation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you have regular snow, and/or cannot control when you must be on the roads - plan/budget for a set of dedicated snow tires/wheels.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mine has been just fine this winter - I have 20" wheels and have had no issue with the snow storms here.
John

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had 3 pacificas with 3 different OEM tires, and all have been awful in the snow/ice. Particularly the Nexens. They're horrid. And yes, I got winter tires.

Though all have been wonderful in dry/wet conditions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our 19 PacHy came with Nexen’s. We live in northern Michigan and have been hammered with heavy snow. Extreme cold. Ice, slush, the entire winter spectrum. After the second storm. I had Cooper Discoverer True North tires put on. They were around $650 out the door. My local tire shop was great going through the options with us and these made the most sense given how we drive and where we drive most of the time. It was these vs the famed Blizzak winter tires and he said many customers were really happy with the Coopers and some who have driven on both preferred the Coopers newly designed tire, plus, at almost $300 cheaper they made sense with how we travel with our PacHy.

The handling, braking, and traction really improved and with the vehicle hitting over 5,000 lbs with passengers, you need good rubber as that is a lot of mass to move on an incline with ice and snow given we only have front wheel drive.

I know another PacHy owner-with a 2018 - which came with Michelin tires and he said traction is decent-we test drove an 18 and I feel it handled better on the Michelin tires, but weather wasn’t too bad during our test drive.

IMO, if you are looking at a new PacHy (especially a 19’ with Nexens), cold weather climate, winter tires are a must. Try to negotiate in your purchase. Or just make that part of the budget. The improved traction and breaking is well worth it considering the precious cargo we haul around in these vehicles. Good luck!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Finishing my second winter with my 17. I have the 18" wheels with the Michelins. This van is pretty good in snow. It's better than our Expedition was, not as good as my F250. It's awful on ice. We're getting dedicated winter tires next winter.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My pachy in the Toronto area with a set of dedicated snow tires and factory 18 inch aluminum rims runs amazing. I use my 20 inch factory tires and dedicated summer tires for the spring,summer and fall months. One should keep in mind the load rating for the tire when shopping winter tires.

·
Registered
69 Posts
PacHy snow driving

I'd agree that the tires that came with my 2019 PacHy (18 inch) are NOT good in snow. I'm not going to change them out now, but in the future, will change brands of tires back to Michelin or Bridgestone all weather that have served well in the past on other vehicles.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ok, Never mind then.
They come with many tires. You don't want to share? Fine.
Have a nice evening

Oh dear - I did not mean anything by my reply. I thought the OEM tires were standard on all models.
I went out and looked just now. They are: Falken Ziex CT50 A/S
Does that help?
Thanks, John

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sams Club has the Michelin CrossClimates that fit the Pacifica for $187/tire. If I were replacing my OEMs, I'd put those on and not worry about mounting winters twice a year. They're what true "all-seasons" should be, IMO. The OEMs (and most all-seasons) are really just 3-season tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think someone already wrote it. The prime factor in "good" winter handling is the tire choice. A Mitsubishi Mirage with winter tires can out drive a Subaru WRX on summer biased all seasons.

Second biggest factor is your driving.

For your purchase choice I would not worry about winter impacting your decision. Unless you regularly cross 3 foot drifts of snow, any car with the proper winter tires will go anywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts