2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe meet for Valentine’s Day.
LOL I'll ask the wife.

So apparently at some point the Pacifica provided NO audible notification whatsoever that the vehicle was left running? That, I agree, is not safe.

But three screaming loud honks in succession? Is that really necessary? The vehicle can talk to you... not SCREAM at you and let the whole world know you left it running.

·
Registered
45 Posts
LOL I'll ask the wife.

So apparently at some point the Pacifica provided NO audible notification whatsoever that the vehicle was left running? That, I agree, is not safe.

But three screaming loud honks in succession? Is that really necessary? The vehicle can talk to you... not SCREAM at you and let the whole world know you left it running.
"Hey buddy, you forgot to turn off your engine"

Hmm, I'll take the honks. A voice would be kinda creepy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
LOL I'll ask the wife.

It is true that my 2017 gas Pacifica provided NO audible notification the one time I left it on by mistake. I think the headlights left on or seat beat chime would be sufficient. I wouldn't like the honking either.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
How do you do that? Which menu setting? I didn't figure that one out. Thanks.
Settings > Engine Off Options > Engine Off Power Delay.

The choices are

0 sec
45 sec
5 min
10 min

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Settings > Engine Off Options > Engine Off Power Delay.

The choices are
0 sec
45 sec
5 min
10 min
I was hoping for just a radio control/engine off. I like being able to access the power windows, etc. if needed after turning off the engine so I'll have to try 0 seconds vs 45 sec (where it's at now) and see what is affected. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, I did it with my last T&C. Went to the golf course and parked. Some construction work near the parking lot... Came back 5 hours later. Van was running.. I NOW check my tach before leaving my PAC :) Should have a warning buzz or something.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've never figured out whether the earlier T & C and the 2017 Pacificas were in violation of a federal rule in that there was no alert when the drivers door was opened with the engine running. 49 CFR 571.114 Standard No. 114 (Theft protection and rollaway prevention) is very convoluted but seems to require that warning. And I suspect that there is a federal regulation because every other car I rented or drove (including some non-van FCA vehicles,) chimed when the door was opened, so this behavior in the T & C and 2017 Pacifica was strange.

Interesting enough, my 2017 Pac will chime and display something like "Ignition or ACC on" if I open the door when the car is in ACC (Accessory,) but is mute and there is no change to the display when the door is opened while the engine is running.

As someone commented above, the 2018 is not so silent -- apparently there are three blasts of the horn if you close the door and walk away with the key fob, but still doesn't warn you immediately upon door opening. The complaints about the horn are on the thread http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/30346-anyone-know-how-kill-madly-obnoxious-triple-honk-when-exiting-key.html#post397690

·
Registered
479 Posts
We've talked at length bout this issue elsewhere. Suffice it to say, a lack of an audible EXTERNAL warning with a running engine is a serious safety oversight by FCA.

Class actions are in process against Toyota and Ford for deaths from CO poisoning when cars have been left running in garages.

I spoke with FCA corp and communicated with @ChryslerCares here last may or June and they understood the issue and seemed genuinely interested in addressing it. To date, there is no software update to correct this.

They correctly programmed the system to alert if you attempt to lock a fob in the van. If you leave the key fob in the van and attempt to lock the door, the lights flash and the horn beeps and the doors won't lock. This is how it should be.

If you walk away with a running engine which is far more serious than a key lockout, the dash alerts and chimes (WHICH IS ONLY OF VALUE IF THERE IS A PASSENGER IN THE CAR) yet there is ZERO external warning that the vehicle is running. This is dangerous.

Maybe it's time I call FCA again. If the horn can blow if a fob is locked in (doors refuse to lock which is proper) then a simple software update can make that same horn blow as soon as the fob is far enough away not to be detected if the engine is running.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I think there is a problem even with the horn blowing. Many people (myself included) have enabled (via Uconnect settings) horn beep to confirm locking the car if I press the button twice. Now in this case it becomes even more dangerous as one might think that the car is honking to confirm the “vehicle locked” instead of “engine running”. May be the three horns are a way of distinguishing it from the locking horn, and it is quite possible that the change has happened in 2019 model after II king’s complaints.
In any case I would rather prefer a different beep for a running engine in a parked car without key inside (my Acura does it very well).

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ironically, as I mentioned in post 30, there is a thread complaining about the honking (http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/30346-anyone-know-how-kill-madly-obnoxious-triple-honk-when-exiting-key.html#post397690)

We really need 2 separate alerts -- one audible inside the van as soon as we open the drivers door with a running engine (a loud distinctive chime -- not the feeble one you get for door open in ACC or headlights on/engine off - and those could be louder, too.) And then an alert audible outside the van (probably the horn with a distinctive pattern to separate from the "locked" honk) if we close the door and the fob has left the vehicle. The fob position is all that can tell the van the driver is outside.

And lets face it folks, it may disturb the neighbors, but it is important. Back in about 1980, my sister-in-law got to meet all her new neighbors when she got out of the car with the engine running and her son, a budding Houdini, in less than a minute, managed to get out of his child seat, climb into the the front and put the car in gear (this was long before the brake pedal interlock). Through the back of the garage and out into the backyard. Fortunately little damage to the car and none to the kids, but the house had some problems. These warnings are useful. Kids have only gotten smarter. And maybe it will even stop those parents in a hurry who jump into a store with the kids in the back seat and engine running, and then the car is stolen.

And as II Kings 9:20 points out, there are lawsuits in progress for not having this feature. It is probably only a matter of time before FCA retrofits our older Pacificas and T & Cs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Now in this case it becomes even more dangerous as one might think that the car is honking to confirm the “vehicle locked” instead of “engine running”. May be the three horns are a way of distinguishing it from the locking horn, and it is quite possible that the change has happened in 2019 model after II king’s complaints.
In any case I would rather prefer a different beep for a running engine in a parked car without key inside (my Acura does it very well).
Are these people that you theorize could possibly confuse the "doors locked" single horn blast with a similar horn blast for leaving the vehicle running either on drugs or drunk? If so, they shouldn't be driving, no? Because if someone legitimately forgets the vehicle is running, exits and closes the door... and immediately out of no where the vehicle honks ONCE (just like it does as an option when locking the doors), I don't see how a single sane person not on drugs would think to themselves, hey, my car just honked at me EVEN IF I DIDN'T LOCK MY CAR, and just walks off like nothing happened? I apologize but I don't get that logic.

Noise pollution is a huge problem in society and people need to be more respectful of others' peace and quiet. Sorry but these comments here that FCA needs to force a blaring and startling triple horn blast is complete nonsense. One honk is enough. It is not confusing to anyone. Please give humans a little more credit.

Quite frankly with the dozen plus speakers, chimes, buzzers etc already found in every single car these days, FCA should invest the $5 on a single separate chime to notify of locked doors, vehicle running, etc. The horn is a safety device intended to garner the attention of everyone BUT the driver. Too bad the engineers at FCA don't understand that and try to save a couple bucks by doubling the value of their horn assemblies by making it perform other tasks that should be performed by separate devices.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Are these people that you theorize could possibly confuse the "doors locked" single horn blast with a similar horn blast for leaving the vehicle running either on drugs or drunk? If so, they shouldn't be driving, no? Because if someone legitimately forgets the vehicle is running, exits and closes the door... and immediately out of no where the vehicle honks ONCE (just like it does as an option when locking the doors), I don't see how a single sane person not on drugs would think to themselves, hey, my car just honked at me EVEN IF I DIDN'T LOCK MY CAR, and just walks off like nothing happened? I apologize but I don't get that logic.
Your point is well taken, but the problem happens when closing the door and pressing the key fob happens simultaneously (or within a few seconds of each other) and that can can confuse even a sober person if he is in a hurry or in a noisy place.
That’s the reason we wholeheartedly agree to having a separate beep / alert chime audible outside the car. BTW it may not cost them even $5. You know how much a reverse camera costs the auto manufacturers,.....$7 / car, and they waited this long to make it standard (until Tesla spilled the beans).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow, that is harsh. The logic is that the warning for leaving the engine running after leaving the vehicle must be different from any other warning. You are assuming that the person leaving the vehicle is paying attention and will immediately be aware that they did not activate the lock so the warning must be something else. By definition, a person leaving the vehicle unintentionally while running is not paying attention. And what if the person did use the key fob lock button, they would assume the honk was normal and potentially leave the van running. As mentioned by other posters, there are law suits in process for this problem. FCA would not be in a good legal position if the warning for leaving the van running was the same as another warning, especially one that could also occur upon exit. Personally, I think the best solution is for the van to shut off automatically after 5 minutes if the van is in park and the driver seat belt is not fastened.

You have complete control over the potential noise pollution caused by the 3 honks. Don't leave the van with the engine running. This may be inconvenient at times but it is a solution.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You have complete control over the potential noise pollution caused by the 3 honks. Don't leave the van with the engine running. This may be inconvenient at times but it is a solution.
You do make a good point. As a first time PHEV owner, I am still getting used to the whole concept of this car, but if I think about it, it is essentially a non issue to turn the car off, even though it goes against what I have done for decades. 1 button press to kill it, and another to start it when I get back in, and nothing really changes in the interim.

I guess I gotta shift my paradigm. I agree with @runswithscissors that it is gosh darned annoying (I have only subjected myself to it once, and that was enough) but I can eliminate the problem most of the time by modifying my behavior. The one time I did have it was when my wife was with me and I had to make a quick run in to the post office by myself while she stayed in the car and I didn't want to shut the car off nor dig the key out of my pocket - and I was annoyed. I completely understand the liability issue, but I guess I still want to gripe.:laugh:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Elaborating on my post 30

[extract]
.....Interesting enough, my 2017 Pac will chime and display something like "Ignition or ACC on" if I open the door when the car is in ACC (Accessory,) but is mute and there is no change to the display when the door is opened while the engine is running....
Attached are two thumbnails -- one showing a normal dash if the engine is running and the door opened, and the other with the van in ACC and the door is opened (and there is a chime.) Note the wording in the second photo -- why would it even say "ignition on" in ACC unless the warning was supposed to take place in RUN as well?

I just realized that I create this situation often in hot or cold weather -- with my wife in the car, I leave the van running for her heat or A/C comfort as I step out to do something. However, she does have a fob in her purse. She does not complain about chiming from "fob left in car," so I guess it picks up hers. Wonder what would happen if my van had the new warning installed?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 2018 and called the dealership to see if they could disable the 3-horn beep. I leave my car running while I run in to get my kids from daycare (2 mins of signing them out and grabbing backpacks) but I bring my keyfob in so noone can drive off in my car. The 3 LOUD honks is startling and then embarrassing in a crowded parking lot.
But I guess now I'm glad there is something???

I owned a Prius for 8 years before this van and I left it running multiple times in the first year. :p It was so quiet and if I was distracted it was easy to do. Not sure about the risk of that...it never seemed to run FULL ON for long so maybe the CO2 thing wasn't an issue??

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have the 2018 and called the dealership to see if they could disable the 3-horn beep. I leave my car running while I run in to get my kids from daycare (2 mins of signing them out and grabbing backpacks) but I bring my keyfob in so noone can drive off in my car. The 3 LOUD honks is startling and then embarrassing in a crowded parking lot.
But I guess now I'm glad there is something???

I owned a Prius for 8 years before this van and I left it running multiple times in the first year. :p It was so quiet and if I was distracted it was easy to do. Not sure about the risk of that...it never seemed to run FULL ON for long so maybe the CO2 thing wasn't an issue??
You are under a terrible misapprehension -- unless there has been a change in newer models or the hybrid, once the car is started it can be driven coast to coast without the fob. All that would happen is that the driver would get a headache from the "keyfob has left the car" chime. Of course, if they stopped the engine for any reason they could not restart it.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts