2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Let me address the 2nd part of your post:

......I owned a Prius for 8 years before this van and I left it running multiple times in the first year. :p It was so quiet and if I was distracted it was easy to do. Not sure about the risk of that...it never seemed to run FULL ON for long so maybe the CO2 thing wasn't an issue??
The CO (Carbon monoxide - not CO2 - carbon dioxide) risk is for a car in an enclosed area (like your garage.) Modern cars have better ventilation systems -- I think almost all will have a fan running to change air in the cabin at all times, so idling for extended periods is not as risky as it used to be, but an open window is always a good idea in those situations. But I have to caution that a window may not help if you have a faulty exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I have the 2018 and called the dealership to see if they could disable the 3-horn beep. I leave my car running while I run in to get my kids from daycare (2 mins of signing them out and grabbing backpacks) but I bring my keyfob in so noone can drive off in my car. The 3 LOUD honks is startling and then embarrassing in a crowded parking lot.
As stated before, if you walk away from your car with a running engine, your car could be driven by anyone with or without the key. The only solution where the car couldn’t be driven is if you had remote started it. Then you need the key before you drive. So that is a potential solution for you, if you want to keep the car warm when you get your kids. But two minutes is not going to cool the car unless you live in North Pole in the middle of a polar vortex.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
But two minutes is not going to cool the car unless you live in North Pole in the middle of a polar vortex.
I agree there is probably very little value to leaving the car running if indeed you really are in the daycare for only 2 minutes, other than saving you the trouble of having to push the start button twice (once for off and then once again for on). I do admit, however, that I have had to modify my behavior in a couple of ways since I got my PacHy, and it was a little annoying to not be able to operate it the way I used to with my old VW, but in the final analysis, I guess it really isn't that much of an imposition.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have the 2018 and called the dealership to see if they could disable the 3-horn beep. I leave my car running while I run in to get my kids from daycare (2 mins of signing them out and grabbing backpacks) but I bring my keyfob in so no one can drive off in my car. The 3 LOUD honks is startling and then embarrassing in a crowded parking lot.
But I guess now I'm glad there is something???

I owned a Prius for 8 years before this van and I left it running multiple times in the first year. :p It was so quiet and if I was distracted it was easy to do. Not sure about the risk of that...it never seemed to run FULL ON for long so maybe the CO2 thing wasn't an issue??
I have to wonder why you leave the van running. Is it really that hot or cold there? (You can put small blankets over child car seats if they get too hot or cold while the van is off.) Is there someone left in the van who would be uncomfortable if the van is turned off? While you may consider that there may be legitimate reasons for leaving a van running, you may want to make sure the parking brake is set manually or automatically through the touch screen if you are going to leave it running. If you turn it off and then use the remote start, the vehicle shouldn't be able to be driven without the fob present as @Bond007 mentioned.

If you are in the habit of leaving the van running after you exit, it will be more difficult to remember to turn it off other times. If you just turn it off you won't have to worry about the three honks. Obviously you will do what you want, but I am concerned. You don't need to answer my questions, I just want you to think about your reasons.

Regardless of how much better modern vehicles may be, I don't think it is a good idea to leave a vehicle running in a garage which can happen accidentally if a person isn't in the habit of always turning the engine off when getting out.

My 2017 gas van doesn't have the three honks if I were to leave it running, but I would prefer the honks to coming back to the van to find the engine running (which happened once in a store parking lot when it was new).

Exit chimes would be preferable over three loud honks. Maybe there will be an update someday.:smile2:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think there is a problem even with the horn blowing. Many people (myself included) have enabled (via Uconnect settings) horn beep to confirm locking the car if I press the button twice. Now in this case it becomes even more dangerous as one might think that the car is honking to confirm the “vehicle locked” instead of “engine running”. May be the three horns are a way of distinguishing it from the locking horn, and it is quite possible that the change has happened in 2019 model after II king’s complaints.
In any case I would rather prefer a different beep for a running engine in a parked car without key inside (my Acura does it very well).
Ironically, as I mentioned in post 30, there is a thread complaining about the honking (http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/30346-anyone-know-how-kill-madly-obnoxious-triple-honk-when-exiting-key.html#post397690)

We really need 2 separate alerts -- one audible inside the van as soon as we open the drivers door with a running engine (a loud distinctive chime -- not the feeble one you get for door open in ACC or headlights on/engine off - and those could be louder, too.) And then an alert audible outside the van (probably the horn with a distinctive pattern to separate from the "locked" honk) if we close the door and the fob has left the vehicle. The fob position is all that can tell the van the driver is outside.

And lets face it folks, it may disturb the neighbors, but it is important. Back in about 1980, my sister-in-law got to meet all her new neighbors when she got out of the car with the engine running and her son, a budding Houdini, in less than a minute, managed to get out of his child seat, climb into the the front and put the car in gear (this was long before the brake pedal interlock). Through the back of the garage and out into the backyard. Fortunately little damage to the car and none to the kids, but the house had some problems. These warnings are useful. Kids have only gotten smarter. And maybe it will even stop those parents in a hurry who jump into a store with the kids in the back seat and engine running, and then the car is stolen.

And as II Kings 9:20 points out, there are lawsuits in progress for not having this feature. It is probably only a matter of time before FCA retrofits our older Pacificas and T & Cs.
Honda uses a series of loud beeps NOT from the horn.

I don't have a preference of a horn or a beep. Any alert is better than none which is what we have now.

Interestingly, the same 3 honks of the horn that some find so onerous, already happens if you try to lock the keys in the car. The number of times I've locked my keys in the car in 40 years of driving is zero so I'll never hear the obnoxious 3 honks (unless I'm testing it for kicks and giggles)

The same holds for inadvertently leaving an engine running: 0 times in 40 years. I do knowingly leave it run if I need to dash into the garage after backing out. The Honda gives it's series of beeps while the Pac remains silent.

Another simple software update in lieu of a beep would be "after running 15 min while in "Park" and the seatbelt is not buckled, the engine shuts off'. The law of unintended consequences states that this is just one more software algorithm to have a glitch and shut you down whilst going down the freeway. Far better to program the same "key locked in the car" horn blow feature into the engine running scenario. One of FCA's programmers should be able to write this code in 15 min and get this update to the dealer post haste. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable sum for it @ChryslerCares

There is a bit of a hijack here and I am king of hijacking threads and going off on tangents so I'm not busting anyone's chops. The issue of "leaving it running" and remote start which has been inserted into the conversation is unrelated to the safety issue of inadvertent engine run on. My wife did it, my salesman's wife did it, and at least 2 guys here on the forum did it. Numerous CO deaths from cars running in garages have occurred.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Absolutely right. After an hour, in Park and in Ready mode (on) it will automatically shut down.
Thanks for that post. I just realized I can't leave a Pacifica on overnight while I enjoy AC or heat as I sleep in the back, the way I do in my Prius. I also leave my Prius on (but locked, of course) with my dog in the back, and do not fear her getting too hot or cold if I am delayed on an errand, or while visiting places she isn't allowed in. I wish Toyota would import the hybrid Estima/Sienna/Previa/Alphard/Vellfire, but I guess we Americans just can't have one. I'm beginning to feel like a Second Class Citizen of the World.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts