2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
In Massachusetts with both the Federal tax credit ($7500) and the state rebate ($2500) it costs no more than a gas version.
Maintenance costs are lower since since with little operation of the combustion engine the oil lasts much longer and regenerative breaking eliminates most brake wear.
over almost 20,000 miles I've achieved 80% electric. Without long vacation trips I get almost 2,000 miles per tank of gas.
In Mass. our electricity is so expensive that cost per mile is not a huge saving, so it prompted me into investing in solar - also got a 30% tax credit! Now I do not get an electric bill for my home, vacation home (in the same utility area - who knew that excess generation credits can be transferred within a utility area) and 80 % of driving is free, also I get checks in the mail for making electricity! Don't leas solar, buy it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Curious what’s the cost of electricity in mass?. I picked up my van when Ontario govt had 14 thousand dollar rebate off of my FCA Corp cost . I’m at approx 30 thousand Kms , 20 thousand is electricity and I’ve had to only pay for 10% of it , it costs me 30 dollars a month to drive this thing . When I get rid of this in 2 yrs , my 7 yr160000 km extended warranty, it literally cost me nothing as I’ll get all my money back out of it . I’m waiting for a awd Portal or a hybrid plug in Grand Wag . Here in Ontario 99% of the charging stations are free, and free is good for the pocket book . .. lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Total is ~23 c per KWhr. In Massachusetts electricity generation is segregated on the bill and you get to chose who you buy from. It can vary from 10c to 16c per KWhr. A lot of folks end up paying the high amount because they don't shop around. Delivery cost is 13 c per KWhr and you cannot shop around. With solar the bill depends on the total usage for the month. In the summer you generate more than you use and earn credits you use in the winter. Over the winter I will draw about 1 MWhr of energy off the grid for my home and car, but during the rest of the year I put enough power on the grid to cover both the winter and my vacation home. Over a full year I generate ~11MWhr. In Massachusetts we get a credit of ~$250 for every MWhr we generate to encourage renewable energy.

So I save $2,500 in electric bills and get almost $3,000 cash annually for a total of $5,500 on an investment of $33,000 less $10,000 in tax credits Best investment i've ever made!

The winter generation deficit is too large to cover with a battery would be different in a southerly state.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have done no research, but just from being on the Forum, I don't recall many hybrid or gas transmissions being replaced out of the thousands of Pacificas that have been produced. Compared to other manufacturers???
I’m not supporting his comment here.

Theres no epidemic occurring that I’m aware of..

it would suck for any brand of vehicle that has a transmission go, but since we have 1/10,000 failure rate I guess its a concern for some?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
This unfortunate guy may be one of the first to approach the 100k miles mark, the 1/10000 statistics doesn't apply here.
While not at all scientific, my own experience isn't favorable. PacHy is the only car I've owned that had to be towed. And if it for the warranty, the HV battery replacement would be $$$$.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This unfortunate guy may be one of the first to approach the 100k miles mark, the 1/10000 statistics doesn't apply here.
While not at all scientific, my own experience isn't favorable. PacHy is the only car I've owned that had to be towed. And if it for the warranty, the HV battery replacement would be $$$$.
We’ll have to wait and see how the trend develops.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Certainly. The actual reliability data is a closely guarded secret, so we will only know for sure if the problem is so bad that a lot of people complain online.
BTW, my last post meant to say "And if NOT for the warranty,.."

·
Registered
281 Posts
You do realize that come cold/winter months, no matter what your driving or manufacturer, the cost to fuel that vehicle increases dramatically. Personally it’s a wash either ice or electric and the other months def outweighs the other ones. To build a balance sheet is kind of stupid if ask me as there are way to many variables that are unpredictable. The real who get it are the ones driving the cars and utilizing the get it now ideology bs the wait and see philosophy. If you had to build a balance sheet on all purchases odds are that your not going to buy it . Imagine trying to swell yourself on idea that a house is a good investment ( mortgage and bills and upkeep ) . I reside in Toronto Canada and will keep the money in my pocket vs the gas stations . It’s funny how some people don’t get it and some do , and to those who do , we are truly the ones who are reaping the rewards vs the teeter totter ones . Happy motoring

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This seems like a quick post @CANADAHYBRIDGUY, the ideas are fragmented and hard to understand the position your taking.

Please edit it when you have a moment and we can discuss it further :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts