2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

We are buying our 1st hybrid! It’s a 2018 Hybrid Limited, leftover brand new. I had a question about the electric only function.

Will it only be in full electric only mode for the 1st continuous 30 miles on a full charge? Or can you go 5 miles, stop, and go 5 more until the battery is run down, then it goes hybrid? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, the dealers can’t answer it for us (we have been to several).

We test drove one, but it was in the fuel and oil refresh mode and didn’t drive electric only even though it had 75% battery. We didn’t know what that meant until later. The salesman and sales manager didn’t know either.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You have 30mi however you decide to use it.

There is no cold start loss unless your using the climate control. Climate eats energy to get the cabin to your desired temp and then maintains it efficiently.

So repeated stops will let the cabin get hot/cold.. i think you get it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi!

We are buying our 1st hybrid! It’s a 2018 Hybrid Limited, leftover brand new. I had a question about the electric only function.

Will it only be in full electric only mode for the 1st continuous 30 miles on a full charge? Or can you go 5 miles, stop, and go 5 more until the battery is run down, then it goes hybrid? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, the dealers can’t answer it for us (we have been to several).

We test drove one, but it was in the fuel and oil refresh mode and didn’t drive electric only even though it had 75% battery. We didn’t know what that meant until later. The salesman and sales manager didn’t know either.

Thank you!!
Further to m0ebius' reply, the electric range is automatically depleted first before hybrid operation begins. There is no "on-demand" EV mode for the PacHy. I do not believe there is any way to adjust this setting with the PacHy. The only exception to this would be, as you have noted, if the PacHy is in oil/gas refresh mode, where the vehicle itself will bypass EV mode to run the internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can easily get more than the allocated mileage out of the van if you understand it and how to drive it . The battery technically never runs out even thou it may display 0 % on the readout . People get so hung up on the percentage numbers when you should actually be adapting a electric mode ideology of driving . There are great forums on web about electric driving . I can say that driving a vehicle this size and being able to get 800-1000 kms ( in in Toronto Canada 🇨🇦) out of a 60 litre tank is astounding . We just came back from a road trip to most southern point in key west and only cost me 80 in gas with 5 people and my 2 Thule racks up top , that’s just crazy nuts . Good luck and happy motoring from friends up north .. lol...

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can easily get more than the allocated mileage out of the van if you understand it and how to drive it . The battery technically never runs out even thou it may display 0 % on the readout . People get so hung up on the percentage numbers when you should actually be adapting a electric mode ideology of driving . There are great forums on web about electric driving . I can say that driving a vehicle this size and being able to get 800-1000 kms ( in in Toronto Canada 🇨🇦) out of a 60 litre tank is astounding . We just came back from a road trip to most southern point in key west and only cost me 80 in gas with 5 people and my 2 Thule racks up top , that’s just crazy nuts . Good luck and happy motoring from friends up north .. lol...
I am just curious - when you say "80 in gas" - is it one way or two-way, and what is the currency?
We just made a similar PacHy trip in opposite direction - from Philadelphia to Saguenay, QC (over 2000 miles / 3200 km total), and I paid $140 USD in gas for the whole trip. When I deducted plug-in miles, I got average 31.5mpg on gas/hybrid - exactly as expected.
Yes, 3/4 of my gas on this trip was more expensive Canadian, but even if you got all yours for $2.30-$2.40 USD / gal, for 3200+ mile round trip $80 total gas cost sounds more like one-way - or you may know some magic how to get 60+mpg on PacHy in gas/hybrid mode? If you do - can you share? I checked those forums, but nobody seems to do that well...
In any case, since I got Pachy back in July, I just don't want to drive anything else ;)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I seem to manage around 40-45mpg in hybrid mode on the highway over on the west coast by driving efficiently.

As @CANADAHYBRIDGUY points out, there are a lot of hyper miler driving techniques that can help maximize things. However rolling terrain makes the biggest impact from my observation as it presents a lot of 0kw/engine off coasting opportunities. :)

Avoid regen on downhills and hold the throttle at 0kW output on your guages and see the difference. Save regen for braking and then regen as long as possible instead of going for peak regen kW. Remember the brake pedal doesn’t activate the friction brakes until they are necessary so your not actually riding the brakes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The hybrid display lets you see mpg. It is interesting on the highway to keep constant speeds of 60, 65, 70 & 75 mph and observe the loss of MPG at high speed. (Just reset between the different speeds). Big differences!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am just curious - when you say "80 in gas" - is it one way or two-way, and what is the currency?
We just made a similar PacHy trip in opposite direction - from Philadelphia to Saguenay, QC (over 2000 miles / 3200 km total), and I paid $140 USD in gas for the whole trip. When I deducted plug-in miles, I got average 31.5mpg on gas/hybrid - exactly as expected.
Yes, 3/4 of my gas on this trip was more expensive Canadian, but even if you got all yours for $2.30-$2.40 USD / gal, for 3200+ mile round trip $80 total gas cost sounds more like one-way - or you may know some magic how to get 60+mpg on PacHy in gas/hybrid mode? If you do - can you share? I checked those forums, but nobody seems to do that well...
In any case, since I got Pachy back in July, I just don't want to drive anything else ;) View attachment 42350
WoW , i own the same color pachy Hyd.. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Funny enough, while parking at Disney World today, we saw a Pachy just parking at the EV charge station. It also happened to be the same color and options, ha ha, so we got to see the color in person.

Talked to the owners for a couple of minutes and pretty much answered all our questions, nice people.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Funny enough, while parking at Disney World today, we saw a Pachy just parking at the EV charge station. It also happened to be the same color and options, ha ha, so we got to see the color in person.

Talked to the owners for a couple of minutes and pretty much answered all our questions, nice people.
What was their opinion? Would they buy again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was their opinion? Would they buy again?
They were very happy with theirs! Only issue they had so far was the leather on the steering wheel came apart but the dealer replaced it under warranty. Otherwise they had no issues.

EV only range was right where it's supposed to be, anywhere between 25 and 35 miles. They said they have gone up to 1,000 miles between filling up with gas since they charge it every night.

I didn't specifically ask if they would have bought it again, that would have been a good question, ha ha. From both the husband and the wife we got the impression they were both very happy with it. It wasn't like one liked it and the other didn't, which is a good sign.

We pick up ours on Tuesday! Flying from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Atlanta, GA to get the one we want. That's the closest limited to us, next one is twice as far away.

The last limited that was local sold within a couple of hours of the dealer listing it on their site. It also sold for full MSRP, which we are not paying.

If people are interested in buying, the deal that started this month from Chrysler is invoice pricing on 2018's. In our case, it's $8,000 off of the factory window sticker price. If we weren't picky about getting a limited that would be a killer price on the other models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Candymanjl
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing