2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in the Chicago area and after picking up my PacHy after the recall fix my electric range has fallen from 36 miles to 27 miles. The weather has also cooled off a little to 60's during the day and 50's at night.

Trying to get a sense if the range decrease is from the cooler weather or the software update. Seems like the big change they did to the PIM software fix was to prevent too much current during regen braking... In theory that would decrease the electrical range of the Pachy.

Anyways wondering what other people have seen since the update and also if you are in a warm or cold weather region.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a Tesla owner I can tell that in winter storms the 120mi trip with AC on to defrost windshield will take down the max 270mi to about 50mi at arrival. Without the AC on just using seat heater range increases considerably. Thx God for 300A Superchargers, EV-Go, ChargePoint, and Parkmobile, with these I am back to full in 30mins.

We use Evtriplanner a lot, it allows calculations for ambient temp and gradient.

Just curiosity, can you use the app on the phone to electric heat the car and melt the snow off? In Teslas this also preconditions the battery back to allow regen braking right away in cold weather.

We already have NEMA 14-50 receptacles in all garages and 22kW gas generator, we are anxiously eyeing the botched launch or 2018 Odyssey (major QC issues, fit and finish atrocities abound on Odyclub) and the steady flow of good news on the Paci Hybrid after the diode botch, we may have to compromise with 8 cu ft less behind the third row in the Pacifica and use the SkyBox 21' more.

Why can't someone make a 120kWh dual motor torque vectoring AWD minivan? We may have to mine Mars for Li:) Big Oil, may you die soon!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
So I live in the Chicago area and after picking up my PacHy after the recall fix my electric range has fallen from 36 miles to 27 miles. The weather has also cooled off a little to 60's during the day and 50's at night.

Trying to get a sense if the range decrease is from the cooler weather or the software update. Seems like the big change they did to the PIM software fix was to prevent too much current during regen braking... In theory that would decrease the electrical range of the Pachy.

Anyways wondering what other people have seen since the update and also if you are in a warm or cold weather region.
I cant answer your direct question yet since we haven't received ours yet, but i can offer some general knowledge.

Most EV's suffer upto 30% loss in range if the vehicle is not preconditioned before use. The sweet spot for the current battery technology is 20deg C (68deg F), anything above or below adds losses due to inefficiency and preheating or cooling is usually as simple as using an app to set your departure time.

It is typically a free process when your plugged in as the infrastructure supplies the power but is still worth while to precondition when your not plugged in also as you'll typically use less power warming/cooling a battery than just driving away. And the pleasant side effect is a warmed and de-iced windows or a cooled cabin on hot days.

Also as seasonal weather changes so do tire pressures. Low presures will add to reduced range issues.

EV range on average decreases in winter and returns in the spring and from my experience is around 30% in addition to precondition loss due to heaters, wipers, blower fans, lights etc.

But we shouldnt forget so does fuel economy with ICE vehicles.

Maybe someone savy can share how the process works exactly for these PacHy's? I would appreciate some first hand info.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bumping my old thread since temps in Chicago have been single digits for the last few weeks.
MPG during the summer for me was ~65. Used it mainly for commuting to work in the western Chicago suburbs with little traffic on roads where I averaged 40-50 mph.

Like other threads have mentioned I am constantly getting the fuel/oil refresh message especially after temps went <30F. Now my MPG is 21.8. Seems like very little battery use when my speed is less than 50 mph. Really wish FCA gave us an option to use battery more aggressively in cold weather. Understand the gas engine might need to stay on in really cold weather, but sad to see the electric side hardly turn on. I actually use more battery at highway speeds of 65-75 and actually get better MPG at higher speeds due to the battery actually working like a hybrid.

Anyone else getting similar results in cold weather?

·
Registered
562 Posts
How long have you been getting the fuel/oil refresh message? I got it for 4 days in a row ending Dec 23 and haven't seen it since.

I agree it would be good to have the option to force the engine to stay off. My Volt allows this until temperatures drop below -10C (15F), at which point the engine runs for cabin heat. But it's been colder than that lately so the Volt isn't doing much better than the PacHy.

We got similar mileage to yours on our last tank, but it was a lot of highway driving, mostly in hybrid mode.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Batteries don't do well in cold weather. Fleetcarma has looked at data for the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt. I can't post links or images yet, so do a search for fleetcarma and Electric Range for the Nissan Leaf & Chevrolet Volt in Cold Weather, and you'll find a great article with data from over 4,000 Volt trips and 7,000 Leaf trips.

FuelScience

·
Registered
349 Posts
it's been right around zero F this last week, we've been doing all electric right around 32mile range. If you turn the heat to something reasonable say 72f with fan speed of 3 it will stay all electric. You turn on defroster and such the engine will kick on. We also remote start it for 15mins before we actually get in it and leave.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For info on auxiliary loads vs. temperatures, google fleetcarma and Real-world range ramifications: heating and air conditioning.

FuelScience

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long have you been getting the fuel/oil refresh message? I got it for 4 days in a row ending Dec 23 and haven't seen it since.

I agree it would be good to have the option to force the engine to stay off. My Volt allows this until temperatures drop below -10C (15F), at which point the engine runs for cabin heat. But it's been colder than that lately so the Volt isn't doing much better than the PacHy.

We got similar mileage to yours on our last tank, but it was a lot of highway driving, mostly in hybrid mode.

I have been getting the fuel refresh message daily for the last week. Seems to turn on regardless once temps get to 20 or lower with my car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was already cold out (northern Utah) when I took delivery of my hybrid so I don't know if this is normal behavior or because of the cold, but it seems to take some time for the battery to warm up.

After sitting overnight in the garage (around 20-30f outside, warmer in the garage) the vehicle will usually only operate in hybrid mode for the first 5ish minutes of use before finally kicking into electric mode. Turning off all climate features lowers that time but it is still a good couple minutes or more even with those off.

Is this normal and if not, have others noticed it happening to them in the cold too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have had our 2018 Hybrid for about 2 weeks.

The Electric miles seem to about 33 to 34 all the time but having big variances on the Gas mileage.

Ran it to 375 miles and got an amazing number at 10 degrees. Saw the Range Plus the Miles driven add up to 508 miles. Did the 375 miles with 12 gallons and started with a full charge though we burned up about 50% on climate before hitting the highway. Numbers may have been better if we started with electric at 100% on Batteries. Still 31.25 mpg with the combo was only a little shy of the 32 mpg the EPA stated at 3.1 gallons per 100 miles. Very surprised at these temperatures to do so well. Seeing the math add up to more than 508 for real impressed me too. It was cold. Also amazed at how many times on the open highway you get electric miles back. Picked up about 20 to 25 electric miles on the trip.

Did a 80 mile run up and down a mountain and was shocked to see at the end of the trip 40 miles electric 40 miles gas with batteries at 0 for the start of the trip. Saw Regeneration to 7% on going down one mountain at an 80kw recharge rate! The battery charge acceptance rate is very high. This was done in very cold weather and with 5 adult passengers.

Now in town having some problems. Hybrid mode getting barely 17 to 20 mpg. At Chrysler Dealer a little while ago and no explanations yet. Head of service making calls. Hybrid tech worked on it and can find nothing wrong with the systems. Still scratching our heads. Anyone getting better hybrid miles in town a these low temperatures?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today temp in Chicago was high teens low 20's. Turned off my climate control and left heated seat and steering wheel on. ICE started up for first 5 min but then was fully electric rest of the way back home. Never of the fuel/oil refresh message today.

Still unsure if main issue is turning off my climate control in the car because I've done that in the past with no luck. Will need to keep tinkering with my climate control, outside temp, and gas refill rate to maximize my winter fuel economy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far best way I've had with getting my electric motor to work is remote start the car 5 to 10 min ahead of time. Start the car and then turn off climate control. When windshield begins to fog turn the dial to the 1st setting which turns on the gas engine again but switched back to electric fairly quickly.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So far best way I've had with getting my electric motor to work is remote start the car 5 to 10 min ahead of time. Start the car and then turn off climate control. When windshield begins to fog turn the dial to the 1st setting which turns on the gas engine again but switched back to electric fairly quickly.
we do this as well, also found giving it more throttle to get on the highway using gas/hybrid mode and using the electric only for cruise control helps increase the range. Using electric only and accelerating on the highway eats at the battery pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Does anyone know how to pre-heat the cabin while on electric charger without starting the engine?
Can't be guaranteed with the current software. There is no user selection that will prevent the ICE from starting. It may or may not start the engine depending on internal component temperatures.

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
I haven't tried it in the extreme cold, but pushing the Start button twice (for the "Run" position) without pressing the brake pedal will start the climate control, but not the engine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I haven't tried it in the extreme cold, but pushing the Start button twice (for the "Run" position) without pressing the brake pedal will start the climate control, but not the engine.
I can verify that this works at -17C or 1F.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bumping my old thread since temps in Chicago have been single digits for the last few weeks.
MPG during the summer for me was ~65. Used it mainly for commuting to work in the western Chicago suburbs with little traffic on roads where I averaged 40-50 mph.

Like other threads have mentioned I am constantly getting the fuel/oil refresh message especially after temps went <30F. Now my MPG is 21.8. Seems like very little battery use when my speed is less than 50 mph. Really wish FCA gave us an option to use battery more aggressively in cold weather. Understand the gas engine might need to stay on in really cold weather, but sad to see the electric side hardly turn on. I actually use more battery at highway speeds of 65-75 and actually get better MPG at higher speeds due to the battery actually working like a hybrid.

Anyone else getting similar results in cold weather?
I’ve been thinking I may need to take our Pacifica Hybrid in for checkup after a 60 mile mostly highway trip with outside temps about 15° F and used only 3% battery. MPG on the display has been below 20 for weeks now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts