2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I that it was recommended to have an electrician come to the house to check the wiring for charging. I rent, is that really necessary? I’m not sure I want to pay or ask the owner unless it is necessary.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I that it was recommended to have an electrician come to the house to check the wiring for charging. I rent, is that really necessary? I’m not sure I want to pay or ask the owner unless it is necessary.
From the little I have seen a standard 20 amp outlet should be fine, I think I seen one post it was like 12-13 amps at 120 volts? That like plugging in an electric heater. Ultimately an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure :|

·
Registered
183 Posts
From the little I have seen a standard 20 amp outlet should be fine, I think I seen one post it was like 12-13 amps at 120 volts? That like plugging in an electric heater. Ultimately an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure :|
A 20 amp outlet is the one with the sideways 'T' slot. While it would be plenty for the charger, I don't know if many residential apartments come with 20 amp outlets.

I would think the much more common, standard 15 amp outlet (two solid vertical slots) would suffice, as well, so long as the overall wiring/breakers are correct.

·
Registered
702 Posts
A 20 amp outlet is the one with the sideways 'T' slot. While it would be plenty for the charger, I don't know if many residential apartments come with 20 amp outlets.
There are millions of 15 amp receptacles (outlets) on 12 gauge, 20 amp circuits. My home, built in 1968, is full of them. All installed by a licensed electrician, signed off by the city inspector.
The only way to really tell is to look at the breaker/fuse box, and even that is no sure thing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think it all depends upon your panel, charger and if your going to future proof the nema plug or hard wire it . I’d personally installed a 50 amp outlet for my juice box pro 40 . The lesser the amps the longer the charge rate and the least effective the charge will be ( loss of electricity due toe the charging rate / time ) . You could possibly do all the cable running yourself and just have a electrician come and hook up the breaker to panel and the outlet box if stour doing a plug instead of hardwiring it . It’s teally not that hard a project at all , check YouTube for videos or the old forums on here . A little bit of homework saves you time, hassle and grief down the road .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Until I finish up with installing a 240v receptacle for my Clipper Creek charger, the 15A receptacle is working fine although it takes 14 hours to charge a depleted battery.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you have access to a dryer outlet (230v) the charger that comes with the car will work on 230v and charge twice as fast. There are posts about this aand how to make an adapter cable.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Agreed. Any outlet and the wires leading to it should be protected by a fuse or circuit breaker. Your PacHy will draw less current than a 1875-watt hair dryer.
... for 16 hours.

Your going to use up to double the kWh to charge at 120v. Save money, be safer and step up to a Level2 charger.

EV’s where not intended to use the 120v charger everyday. It’s inconvenient, wasteful and was intended as a backup - like a spare tire.

An EVSE doesn’t have to be $1000 unit, there are plenty available cheap at different charge rates.

It has been recorded that the slowest rate of charge uses on average 20kWh of electricity and the fastest rate the PacHy charges at utilizes around 10-12kWh to accomplish the same task.

Should be clear you’ll be paying for it anyway so choose an acceptable charge time and do the safe thing and avoid overloading your sockets.

·
Registered
400 Posts
... for 16 hours.

Your going to use up to double the kWh to charge at 120v. Save money, be safer and step up to a Level2 charger.

EV’s where not intended to use the 120v charger everyday. It’s inconvenient, wasteful and was intended as a backup - like a spare tire.

An EVSE doesn’t have to be $1000 unit, there are plenty available cheap at different charge rates.

It has been recorded that the slowest rate of charge uses on average 20kWh of electricity and the fastest rate the PacHy charges at utilizes around 10-12kWh to accomplish the same task.

Should be clear you’ll be paying for it anyway so choose an acceptable charge time and do the safe thing and avoid overloading your sockets.
I didn’t know about the inefficiency of the Level 1 charger. What is the explanation for that?

Since he lives in an apartment there may be no possibility of having access to 240v for charging unless he can strike some sort of deal with the landlord. All I was mentioning is that if you have an outlet wired for 15A and assuming the apartment was wired according to code then you should have no problem drawing up to 15A all day long from that socket.

But I do agree with you that a Level 2 charger is the way to go if you have access to a 240V circuit. If you can afford to buy a PacHy you should be able to afford an inexpensive Level 2 charger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
... for 16 hours.

At worst, a level 1 might use 20% more energy to fill the battery. Typically it will use the exact same amount. Not sure where you heard that it uses twice as much.

Also, there's nothing wrong with using only a level 1 charger. The only real reason to use a level 2 charger is shorter charge time. For someone that will only ever plug in at the end of the day for overnight charging, a level 2 is a waste of money.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since we're talking about Level 2 chargers, are any of them limited in output? The PacHy will charge up to 6.6kWh. I just assumed a Level 2 would charge at the highest rate but maybe some are limited to 3.3kWh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since we're talking about Level 2 chargers, are any of them limited in output? The PacHy will charge up to 6.6kWh. I just assumed a Level 2 would charge at the highest rate but maybe some are limited to 3.3kWh.
Level 2 chargers are offered at many different amp ratings. The smallest are typically 16 amp, which will charge at roughly 3.3-3.6 kW. You would need a 32 amp charger (or larger) to get the fastest chargewith the Pacifica.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Level 2 chargers are offered at many different amp ratings. The smallest are typically 16 amp, which will charge at roughly 3.3-3.6 kW. You would need a 32 amp charger (or larger) to get the fastest chargewith the Pacifica.
What about just using a 240v plug adapter with the OEM EVSE? There have been reports it can handle it. Won't be as fast as 6.6 (or even 3.3) but still better than 120v at 12 amps.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Not sure where you heard that it uses twice as much.
Lots of folks think that because 220 volts uses half the amps to do the same work, its uses half the energy.
However, because Volts X Amps = watts, half the amps at twice the voltage equals identical wattage.
Your electric bill is based on watts used.
220 volts x 20 amps = 4400 watts
110 volts x 40 amps = 4400 watts

How fast the van will charge is a different issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What about just using a 240v plug adapter with the OEM EVSE? There have been reports it can handle it. Won't be as fast as 6.6 (or even 3.3) but still better than 120v at 12 amps.
It would be 240v at 12 amps, which would be slightly less than 3kW.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
16 Participants
lutorm
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing