2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will the engine do when in Park after the battery is depleted? Say you put it in Park with 5% battery, and deplete it using AirConditioning. Then, does the engine come on intermittently to keep the battery charged to a certain threshold? Or will the engine just run non-stop until you either PlugIn, or the auto-shutdown occurs?

Trying to get a feel of how I can turn the Pacifica into a mini-camper. I'm hoping that the engine will cycle on/off keeping the battery at a minimum state of charge. Or will it just run the engine nonstop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know what point it turns off? This is good news. I wish Chrysler would market a "camper mode" to capitalize on VanLife trends.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Do you know what point it turns off? This is good news. I wish Chrysler would market a "camper mode" to capitalize on VanLife trends.
They must have!.. This is quickly becoming a thing.

The Hybrid uses Charge Depleting (CD) strategy while it has battery remaining and switches to Charge Sustain (CS) once its at 0% on the gauge (which is not 0% remaining in the battery). At that point is bounces between its minimum and maximum value required to maintain a healthy battery but the guage remains at 0%.

Much like this graphic from The Opel.. its pretty standard HEV operating principle.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Be warned that it shuts down altogether after an hour in Park. I think this is a safety thing to guard against the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning people who forget to shut off their van after parking it in their home garage. This is a distinct possibility since the van can be totally silent while parked even though it is still in Run mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In another thread, someone mentioned a Raspberry Pi project to circumvent the auto-shutdown. Until Chrysler pays attention to the market, I think that the small electronic device will suffice. I really want to buy this van and I don't see any automakers choosing to make an electric van anytime soon. The auto-shutdown is a real downer, but at least there is some sort of workaround.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts