2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the hood checking things over before a trip a few days ago and noticed some oil seepage around the variable valve lift solenoid on the top passenger side of each valve cover. I'm pretty sure getting this fixed would be covered under the powertrain warranty, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

It doesn't appear to be leaking too badly, but it's hard to tell because of the tight area. The oil level was about a half quart low before changing the oil a couple months ago and I couldn't find any other leaks. The rear VVL solenoid is shown in the first two pics. The last pic is the front one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just brought my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica home from the dealership with 82,000 miles. They recommended replacing on front left VVL solenoid that was beginning to leak. Not enough to drip on the driveway but apparently noticeable to a technician. It was quoted around $360 to repair I believe.

Did you replace yours? I would like to research it more to see if I can do it on my own.

I originally took it in to have them check the transmission. I had the fluid changed by the dealership around 50k so it should be in great shape but it was shifting hard at low speeds. Around 17 mph and randomly. Not consistent at all. Mostly in parking lots or when going from a slight acceleration to no acceleration. They said they needed to do a transmission update. I was skeptical about a software update for a transmission but for $165 I said to do it and if it continued I would tarde it in for something more reliable. I took it out for a drive tonight and accelerated fast and hesitated about on the gas around 15 mph to see if the transmission would slip or slam but it seems to be fixed. I’ll provide an update in a few weeks after my wife drives it all over to see if that was the fix. They replaced a transmission module a year ago and I thought that had fixed it but it started again after 6 months or so. I’ll have to reply to his thread in a few months to see if the transmission software update worked.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just brought my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica home from the dealership with 82,000 miles. They recommended replacing on front left VVL solenoid that was beginning to leak. Not enough to drip on the driveway but apparently noticeable to a technician. It was quoted around $360 to repair I believe.

Did you replace yours? I would like to research it more to see if I can do it on my own.

I originally took it in to have them check the transmission. I had the fluid changed by the dealership around 50k so it should be in great shape but it was shifting hard at low speeds. Around 17 mph and randomly. Not consistent at all. Mostly in parking lots or when going from a slight acceleration to no acceleration. They said they needed to do a transmission update. I was skeptical about a software update for a transmission but for $165 I said to do it and if it continued I would tarde it in for something more reliable. I took it out for a drive tonight and accelerated fast and hesitated about on the gas around 15 mph to see if the transmission would slip or slam but it seems to be fixed. I’ll provide an update in a few weeks after my wife drives it all over to see if that was the fix. They replaced a transmission module a year ago and I thought that had fixed it but it started again after 6 months or so. I’ll have to reply to his thread in a few months to see if the transmission software update worked.
We live in the area most impacted by the August 10 derecho in Iowa. We sustained major damage to the house and went without power for 6 days. I haven't had a chance to get the van to the dealership as a result. It's still under the factory 5 year/60K mile powertrain warranty so I'm hoping to get it repaired within the next couple weeks.

Doing it yourself doesn't look too difficult. It does require removing the upper intake plenum, but otherwise looks pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm at the dealership now to get this fixed (finally). There is some oil leaking on each valve cover that appears to becoming from the VVL solenoid. I was thinking that replacing the VVL solenoids should be covered by the powertrain warranty, but now I'm not so sure. The coverage terms in the warranty booklet aren't very clear, but reading it makes me think they wouldn't be covered.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm at the dealership now to get this fixed (finally). There is some oil leaking on each valve cover that appears to becoming from the VVL solenoid. I was thinking that replacing the VVL solenoids should be covered by the powertrain warranty, but now I'm not so sure. The coverage terms in the warranty booklet aren't very clear, but reading it makes me think they wouldn't be covered.

Any thoughts?
The Powertrain Warranty only covers the internal components of the powertrain. If you threw a rod, had a camshaft wiped, etc that would be covered. Things that bolt on to the outside of the engine are not covered. So leaks in valve covers, failed power steering pumps, AC compressors are not covered. That also includes the Water Pump and Integrated Oil Cooler/Filter unit (both a common early failure on the Pentastar V6 on Jeeps, which is the same engine in the Pacifica, so its reasonable to assume its the same result) because they are components that bolt on to the exterior of the engine.

It can't hurt to ask, but since its bolted to the outside of the engine, I doubt the Powertrain Warranty is going to cover it. Now if you're still in Bumper to Bumper Warranty, that should cover it.

I don't have a Pacifica, came here for my Daughters Pacifica, but I have had several Jeeps and earlier Caravans, so I am familiar with the technology a bit.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
668 Posts
It may not be covered for an oil gasket leak. If the unit was failing, it might be covered under the emissions warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It may not be covered for an oil gasket leak. If the unit was failing, it might be covered under the emissions warranty.
Again, it can't hurt to ask, but the emissions is a catch 22, anything that goes wrong with the engine and some things that go wrong with the trans will effect emissions. That is why those codes are available via the OBDII protocol, that you can read with a cheap OBDII scanner, but none of the other codes are available outside of effecting emissions, like fault codes for the body, brakes, safety equipment and entertainment systems; they'll be there, but your cheap code scanner can't read them, only OBDII codes can be read with most of those cheap scanners.

But, the emission warranty covers only specific emissions equipment items, the PCV, Catalytic Converters, EGR's, etc, etc.... ....not engine items, even if their malfunction causes emissions problems.... ....besides the VVT solenoid failing would affect emissions, but it just leaking oil would not.... ...regardless, my guess, its NOT specifically listed under the warranty and it won't be covered... ...but again, it can't hurt to ask...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. The dealership determined the VVL solenoid seals are leaking and that the repair would be covered under warranty, but couldn't complete the repair because they didn't have the necessary parts in stock. I was surprised by this because it's a fairly large dealership and there are literally millions of vehicles on the road that use the same engine/parts. What's more confusing is that they said they would replace the seals and that they should receive them next week. The only problem with this is that, as far I can tell, the VVL solenoids don't use seals (unlike the camshaft position sensors on the driver's side of each valve cover). They appear to only have o-rings on them that aren't available separately as far as I can tell. This would require them to replace the entire VVL solenoids. The parts diagram shows an "Oil Control Solenoid" seal in the same area as each VVL solenoid. This may be the seal they're referring to, but it's incorrectly labeled if it is.

The warranty booklet says seals and gaskets are covered for listed components only. The only emissions components covered outside of the 3yr/36K bumper-to-bumper warranty are the ECM/PCM and all catalytic converters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is that the warranty booklet for you're year Pacifica? I have had a lot of Jeep folks told the water pump wasn't covered under the powertrain warranty, I will have to remember to tell them to check their warranty booklet, that water pump is specifically listed at least for some years.

You problem is oil leaking from the VVT solenoids, not the actual VVT solenoids themselves. I can't find the VVT seals in the parts catalog I have for the Jeep Pentastar V6, but that doesn't mean FCA makes the seals available to Dealers to save on warranty claims of just replacing o-rings and not entire VVT solenoids.

Usually if parts are available in the system, the Dealer can have them within a day or two. Its since Fiat has taken over, parts have been in shortage in the system and on back order for weeks. Its improved, it was horrible when Fiat first took over (people were waiting for repairs for 6 months), but still having to wait a week or weeks for parts is not good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts