2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 L with out a towing package (don't even think you can get one on the L)

I have a small trailer i pull that am not worried about, however, someday we may want to get a pop up camper. They are not that heavy, but i want to be prepared.

From what i can tell, the towing package includes the following
1. Hitch
2. Larger alternator
3. sway control
4. Larger radiator.

So my ideas on towing are

1. Hitch is no issue
2. Not sure why you even need a larger alternator, i guess if you had a ton of trailer lights? Anyway, don't think this is an issue
3. This is cool. It must be completely software controlled though. I wonder if there is someway to add features to cars? I know in VW's, you can use software to turn on features that are not active on the car. Not a huge issue though, as people have been towing with ut this for years,
4. This is the main point of my post. I am wanting to know what Coolant, Oil, and Trans temps are considered too high. I really don't think this is a larger radiator, i think it is mainly about the tranny cooler, since its built in to the radiator. In the past i have added after market trans coolers inline with the factory one just to keep the trans cool when towing. If this is truly just about trans temps, that may be an option. As far as Coolant temp, i have trouble believing the radiator is so close to capacity that it would over heat when towing, unless its going strait up hill on a 100 degree day.

Does anyone know what the max temps are on the Coolant, Oil, and trans?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My salesman told me the stability control was STANDARD on all 2018 Chryslers and was programmed into the traction control function. He is an older gent and I don't believe he's inclined to B.S. ;) On my 2018 Touring L it shows an oil cooler and a transmission cooler in the build specs., and mine came without the towing package. Our 1997 T&C had a crap tranny that wore out, it did ok towing our pop-up. Our 2002 T&C we bought in 2007 did pretty well, but that tranny would slip when hot trying to back up with the camper. We actually had to get out and push it to get it going one one occasion. No problems at all with engine oil or coolant temps, the weak link was the transmission. Have not had a chance to try the Pacifica with the trailer yet, Wonder how much the back end will sag when it's hooked up. Prior ones had the auto leveling rear shocks, they were GREAT and we never had to replace them. The 2002 was retired after 16 years, with 215,000 miles on it.
Our new Pacifica has the Mopar trailer hitch and all the wiring which I had the dealer install and it is covered under the vehicle warranty. Not cheap, but that's the payoff. The mechanic who did it told me the green wire (under dash, right of the steering wheel) is the one to connect my electric brake controller to.
Will try to remember to post after we've towed a few times with an update.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some research comparing parts online. It looks like the towing and non-towing package use the same trans cooler. Looks like the only different part is the radiator and cooling fan. If a person was inclined to do so, you could get those parts for under 500 and swap them in if overheating ever became an issue

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does your Pacifica have engine start stop (ESS)? What wiring harness did they use because Mopar and my dealer said the Mopar wiring harness is not compatible with ESS. Maybe they came out with one that is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts