2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure most of us would have heard about the imminent onslaught of autonomous and electric transportation methods. And apparently it is going to come crashing sooner than all of us would expect or want. So as the title says all of those who are buying cars now please enjoy it, most likely it is going to be your last new car purchase. An Automotive graveyard awaits all of our personal cars and internal combustion engines. So get ready for the future and embrace it whether you like it or not. Good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I’m sure most of us would have heard about the imminent onslaught of autonomous and electric transportation methods. And apparently it is going to come crashing sooner than all of us would expect or want. So as the title says all of those who are buying cars now please enjoy it, most likely it is going to be your last new car purchase. An Automotive graveyard awaits all of our personal cars and internal combustion engines. So get ready for the future and embrace it whether you like it or not. Good luck.
We are certainly heading toward a future of autonomous and electric transportation but I would not characterize it today as either imminent or an onslaught. The technology is developing rapidly but it still has a long way to go to become mainstream (majority of vehicles being autonomous and/or electric, A/E). A/E will be most applicable and effective in urban areas with shorter drive distances. It will be awhile for A/E to work well out in the country or in suburban neighborhoods where roads have little if any lane markings (which the current technology depends on), no shoulders and significant variation in terrain and surface conditions. Developing the sensors and processing algorithms for these environments will take additional time once A/E has been proven in urban environments.

Other considerations:
Cost - the technology is not cheap. The cost will come down but this will take time.
Regulation - Totally autonomous creates all kinds of liability and legal issues. Our law makers do not move that fast when there are many, conflicting interests as there will be with A/E.

I don't expect to wake up next month, next year or in 10 years to suddenly find cars for personal use no longer available. The internal combustion engine will still be in use until other forms of power become cheaper and as convenient. That won't happen before my next car purchase (7 years from now)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think this is slightly overstating things.

In 1985 1986 somewhere around there I read an article in Car and driver. A futuristic car called the 'Anti-Gravette'. A flying Corvette.. concept car to be introduced in the next 10 years (so 95/96).

Still waiting.

Don't believe everything you read. I also see gas prices increasing almost returning to what they were in recession 2007/2008. It's crazy with so many EV's on the market and the future is clear, why is OPEC still gouging us?

because EV might be growing.. but they have a LONG, LONG way to go.. this MAY be a reality and I really hope this thread / forum last that long because I will reply to THIS message and say..

"See I told you, no change" We have more EV but still the world is 50% fossil fuel cars..

So you can dream but then you have to drop back to earth people just do NOT evolve this quickly.. NOT

maybe by 2075 MAYBE EV will take over fossil fuels.. MAYBE

·
Registered
199 Posts
Until you can go 400+ miles on a charge, and be ready to go another 400 miles in 5 minutes or less, gassers will rule the roads. Or at least hybrids will. There's going to be no end to gasoline and diesel use for a long time yet.

As for fully autonomous driving 100%, yeah still a long ways off too.

·
Registered
787 Posts
@dotbot -- great link.

On a more serious note, unless cities undertake the major effort to line the streets with charging posts, PHEVs and EVs will not be widely viable in urban areas unless, as @Toast said, a charging mode that takes five minutes for a full charge (the time for a current refueling stop) is available. In my in-city semi surburban neighborhood, most houses have only one off street parking spot unless you have two small vehicles. Given the 2+ average cars per home, that is a lot of curbside parking that needs charging access........ When you get into the other boroughs with large apartment houses and little in-building parking or rows of older townhouses with no off-street parking, it is worse. My daughter spends significant time looking for parking when returning from work.

Charging logistics will be as big an issue as the vehicle technical challenges.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys..... all of you have managed to restore my faith in humanity for now....
I will sleep well knowing that I can drive the Pacifica for much longer....:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts