2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
860 Posts
@Tainguyenle - I think we are missing some information here. Did you buy it new and is it within the 36-month/36k mile warranty period? (Or if used, did you get any bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer?)

Not familiar with the current extended warranties but I would guess that batteries would not be covered given that they are only expected to last three to five years. (and and yes I know a lot of them aren't even making it to the end of the bumper to bumper warranty)

If it is indeed out of the basic warranty because you bought it pre-owned, I would go back to the salesman and see if he or she could negotiate a better price or at least get the service fee waived. From comments in the Forum non OEM equivalent battery is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Tainguyenle - I think we are missing some information here. Did you buy it new and is it within the 36-month/36k mile warranty period? (Or if used, did you get any bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer?)

Not familiar with the current extended warranties but I would guess that batteries would not be covered given that they are only expected to last three to five years. (and and yes I know a lot of them aren't even making it to the end of the bumper to bumper warranty)

If it is indeed out of the basic warranty because you bought it pre-owned, I would go back to the salesman and see if he or she could negotiate a better price or at least get the service fee waived. From comments in the Forum non OEM equivalent battery is a lot cheaper.
The 3 yr/36k and 5yr/60k warranty will travel with the car not the owner. We just took our pre-owned 2018 Touring L to the dealer and they replaced our aux battery free of charge under warranty. I think we lucked up and have a really good dealer locally as we actually bought our vehicle from a Honda lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Purchased brand new van from Safford of Fredericksburg a Dealer in Virginia about April 2018; fully loaded Pacifica. Made it less them 50k miles and had to take in with 18 total issues covered by warranty. Then when I get it back after the software update and some fixes the code trips and had to take it back in. We learned that the auxiliary battery is bad. So, it just so happens after the fixes and update the auxiliary battery is bad. We were quoted $300 for the replacement. Notwithstanding I have 4 kids riding around in a base model rental van for more than 5 days (waited over 1.5 hrs to get a loaner on day of pickup). This is the second van we purchased; 2013 we purchased a Town and Country. Still waiting, still disappointed. At this point, I think we are done with Chrysler. So I should expect this every year at least. What say you Chrysler?

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
860 Posts
Purchased brand new van from Safford of Fredericksburg a Dealer in Virginia about April 2018; fully loaded Pacifica. Made it less them 50k miles and had to take in with 18 total issues covered by warranty. Then when I get it back after the software update and some fixes the code trips and had to take it back in. We learned that the auxiliary battery is bad. So, it just so happens after the fixes and update the auxiliary battery is bad. We were quoted $300 for the replacement. Notwithstanding I have 4 kids riding around in a base model rental van for more than 5 days (waited over 1.5 hrs to get a loaner on day of pickup). This is the second van we purchased; 2013 we purchased a Town and Country. Still waiting, still disappointed. At this point, I think we are done with Chrysler. So I should expect this every year at least. What say you Chrysler?
At 50K, you are out of basic warranty. Did you purchase an extended one?

If you browse various threads, there seems to be a supply issue with these batteries. There are posts about alternate sources. Is Chrysler paying for your rental? That may offset the wait, but you could investigate. If the van is driveable to the alternate source, that may be a path, as long as they don't reverse the decision to pay for the rental. Just make sure it doesn't affect the extended warranty if you purchased one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
At 50K, you are out of basic warranty. Did you purchase an extended one?

If you browse various threads, there seems to be a supply issue with these batteries. There are posts about alternate sources. Is Chrysler paying for your rental? That may offset the wait, but you could investigate. If the van is driveable to the alternate source, that may be a path, as long as they don't reverse the decision to pay for the rental. Just make sure it doesn't affect the extended warranty if you purchased one.

Good luck.
We have an extended warranty. I will make sure not to compromise it. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am sorry, my mistake. $400 for an auxiliary battery. So we bring in our new fully loaded van for 18 issues under warranty with less than 50k and we get hit with a $500 bill ($100 deductible and $400 auxiliary battery). Chrysler quality and service on full display. They burn you in service. https://www.toyota.com/sienna/

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am sorry, my mistake. $400 for an auxiliary battery. So we bring in our new fully loaded van for 18 issues under warranty with less than 50k and we get hit with a $500 bill ($100 deductible and $400 auxiliary battery). Chrysler quality and service on full display. They burn you in service. https://www.toyota.com/sienna/
What year and trim level do you have?

Other posters here have said the aux battery is just a standard size 14 AGM motorcycle battery. If true then it's well under $100 pretty much anywhere But why did you need a new aux battery? Other than them telling you it was bad.

Also, check out this forum: https://www.siennachat.com/forums/problems-maintenance-and-repair-gen-3.67/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the response. It is a limited 2018. When I get it back, I will pull the battery and if it is a standard motorcycle battery just pick one up at Walmart. I will confirm on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the response. It is a limited 2018. When I get it back, I will pull the battery and if it is a standard motorcycle battery just pick one up at Walmart. I will confirm on this.
I'm also having problems with my aux battery and ESS. Dealer wanted 250 to replace it - 100 to "diagnose" + 150 for the battery. I have another post on this issue.

I went to autozone and they wanted $99 for a new duralast aux battery. Same size and specs as the factory one. And it comes with a three warranty. And they tested my old battery for free. Chrysler should do the same. The dealers don't care about the customer. All they want is to charge you. I guarantee you it took less than 5 minutes to diagnose. I can't believe the dealer in your area are charging you 400 for the same service. 250 is outrageous in its own right. These aux batteries shouldn't be failing. Something is wrong with the design of the electrical system. Either the aux battery is simply not sufficient enough to power the accessories or they have an inherent quality issue causing them to fail prematurely.

Ive already taken my pacifica to the dealer 5 times in less than a year since I've owned it. 3 times for the rear carpet coming apart. Another time for safety recalls V15 and V53 and fix the carpet again. And now the 5th time for start stop service not working due to aux battery failure. And the front right ball joint is popping. Same thing it was doing before the ball joint recall V15. I'm seriously considering trading this thing in for a sienna.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the response. It is a limited 2018. When I get it back, I will pull the battery and if it is a standard motorcycle battery just pick one up at Walmart. I will confirm on this

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm also having problems with my aux battery and ESS. Dealer wanted 250 to replace it - 100 to "diagnose" + 150 for the battery. I have another post on this issue.

I went to autozone and they wanted $99 for a new duralast aux battery. Same size and specs as the factory one. And it comes with a three warranty. And they tested my old battery for free. Chrysler should do the same. The dealers don't care about the customer. All they want is to charge you. I guarantee you it took less than 5 minutes to diagnose. I can't believe the dealer in your area are charging you 400 for the same service. 250 is outrageous in its own right. These aux batteries shouldn't be failing. Something is wrong with the design of the electrical system. Either the aux battery is simply not sufficient enough to power the accessories or they have an inherent quality issue causing them to fail prematurely.

Ive already taken my pacifica to the dealer 5 times in less than a year since I've owned it. 3 times for the rear carpet coming apart. Another time for safety recalls V15 and V53 and fix the carpet again. And now the 5th time for start stop service not working due to aux battery failure. And the front right ball joint is popping. Same thing it was doing before the ball joint recall V15. I'm seriously considering trading this thing in for a sienna.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing. I am afraid when the ext-warranty goes out I could be in for a lot of repair costs. I looked at the Sienna today; thinking about bailing now. However the Sienna definitely feels at least one step down when you compare. I don’t see any van on the market that works. May have to go SUV, but the only SUV that has room close to a van is a suburban. The problem is a loaded suburban is 80k, it’s a 1/2 ton and gas. At that point, until they make it in 3/4 ton diesel, it’s just a money pit. Essentially, I am right back where I started. Beautiful van with all the amenities but terrible production quality and not sure what to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing, and if you signup for their newsletter you might get a coupon for $10 off too. I wonder how well the 3 year warranty will work for these batteries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only thing certain about this whole ESS/battery not charged thing is that something is rotten. Starting with the system engineering and then integrating the FCA engineering of a system that works on many if not most other vehicles that use it. FCA seems to have screwed up something in the Pacific installation. We bought our Pacifica with only 15 miles on it in January 2018. By February, the ESS was already failed and had to have a lengthy (days long) investigation by the dealer only to learn that they needed parts that weren't available. When the parts were finally available, it required 3 days of work on their part to install the part (a little thing called the IBS which is part of the battery hookup), check the system again (to include both batteries), teach the car how to start and run, and then basically deep discharge and recharge the batter a number of times. The fixed ESS worked for about 3 days and failed again due to "needs charging." For about six months the ESS was intermittently operational - sometimes it would work, most of the time it wouldn't work. For the past 4 months or so it doesn't work at all to include long driving situations which should have recharged the United States Electrical Grid but not that little stinking battery that runs the ESS. Nothing FCA does or thinks about doing will resolve the issue until such time as they get hauled into court by the government for using this inoperable system to justify a claim for better gas mileage. And don't say @ChryslerCares can help - they can't. The ESS system is just bad and no one knows how to fix an installation that doesn't work. If you have a Pacifica that the ESS works on be thankful but don't be surprised when your system fails just like those of us whose systems failed from day one and could never be fixed.
I have had a similar experience with the ESS my 2018 Pacifica. After about 6 months from purchase, it started working only intermittently, then it stopped working completely. I’ve taken it back to the dealer once to get it fixed. They did #v53 recall and replaced the battery sensor. That fix lasted about a month. It again no longer works again. I have scheduled another dealer service appointment. The worry I have is that this problem will never get fixed no matter how many times I return to the dealer, and all my efforts will be for nothing. Am I wasting my time?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have had a similar experience with the ESS my 2018 Pacifica. After about 6 months from purchase, it started working only intermittently, then it stopped working completely. I’ve taken it back to the dealer once to get it fixed. They did #v53 recall and replaced the battery sensor. That fix lasted about a month. It again no longer works again. I have scheduled another dealer service appointment. The worry I have is that this problem will never get fixed no matter how many times I return to the dealer, and all my efforts will be for nothing. Am I wasting my time?
Hi Mike, I am very sorry to learn about your ongoing concerns with your Pacifica. When is your dealer appointment? I would be happy to connect you with a case manager so they can work with you and the dealer to ensure everything is addressed. Feel free to send us a private message if you would like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I am afraid when the ext-warranty goes out I could be in for a lot of repair costs. I looked at the Sienna today; thinking about bailing now. However the Sienna definitely feels at least one step down when you compare. I don’t see any van on the market that works. May have to go SUV, but the only SUV that has room close to a van is a suburban. The problem is a loaded suburban is 80k, it’s a 1/2 ton and gas. At that point, until they make it in 3/4 ton diesel, it’s just a money pit. Essentially, I am right back where I started. Beautiful van with all the amenities but terrible production quality and not sure what to do.
Ashley, how funny. We bought our 2017 Pacifica from Safford Dodge as well in Fredericksburg. We took did the recall just this August for the ground cable issue for the Auto Start/Stop service. Started having weird issues and now in October the Start/Stop stopped working. Brought in today and told the aux battery is dead and now the main battery has a bad cell too. $189 for diagnostics not covered. and $642 to replace both batteries as well. None covered. Seems odd so many have the same issues for it not to be something perhaps that needs recalled.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What would happen if one just left the ESS battery in there to rot? Most people on this forum sort of dislike the ESS system anyhow. Aside from the issue of getting something you paid for, what would happen if a dead ESS battery were ignore, or even removed, with the ESS battery cable ends taped up real good with black tape?
Anyone know?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Pacifica, 38,000 miles, had a rear end collision when it was new. The ESS hasn’t ever worked, body shop did not know how to turn off light. Now the dealer is charging me $500 to change both batteries. Found out about the recall but can’t get anybody to admit factory defect. I guess if you buy a Chrysler product you are just screwed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What would happen if one just left the ESS battery in there to rot? Most people on this forum sort of dislike the ESS system anyhow. Aside from the issue of getting something you paid for, what would happen if a dead ESS battery were ignore, or even removed, with the ESS battery cable ends taped up real good with black tape?
Anyone know?
The low charge of the aux battery will cause it to drain/pull power from the main battery until the voltage between them is the same when the vehicle is shut off. Because of this it would be ideal to disconnect the aux battery from the electrical system when the aux battery goes bad.

Our dealership recently tested our aux battery and found it was bad. Everything I had read seemed to indicate that simply unhooking the aux battery would cause the vehicle not to start, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. So, this past weekend I disconnected the negative terminal from the aux battery, and conveniently tucked it under the carrying strap. I'm happy to report that we've driven the van every day since Saturday with the aux battery disconnected and haven't observed any ill effects (aside from the orange Service ESS light & message). I haven't checked for new codes yet, but prior to disconnecting the aux battery the only code that was stored was P00FD (Battery B State Of Charge Performance).

I'm going to start a new thread for this, but wanted to wait a few days and check for new DTCs first so I could include anything I found in my first post. At this time I'm not going to replace the aux battery as the wife & I find ESS to be very annoying.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The low charge of the aux battery will cause it to drain/pull power from the main battery until the voltage between them is the same when the vehicle is shut off. Because of this it would be ideal to disconnect the aux battery from the electrical system when the aux battery goes bad.

Our dealership recently tested our aux battery and found it was bad. Everything I had read seemed to indicate that simply unhooking the aux battery would cause the vehicle not to start, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. So, this past weekend I disconnected the negative terminal from the aux battery, and conveniently tucked it under the carrying strap. I'm happy to report that we've driven the van every day since Saturday with the aux battery disconnected and haven't observed any ill effects (aside from the orange Service ESS light & message). I haven't checked for new codes yet, but prior to disconnecting the aux battery the only code that was stored was P00FD (Battery B State Of Charge Performance).

I'm going to start a new thread for this, but wanted to wait a few days and check for new DTCs first so I could include anything I found in my first post. At this time I'm not going to replace the aux battery as the wife & I find ESS to be very annoying.
I disconnected the Aux battery on my JL Wrangler and did a lot of research and here is what I can tell you:

1. Yes, a bad Aux can drain the main because when the vehicle is off, the batteries are in parallel. the only time they are isolated is during an ESS event (or starting, see next point)

2. During the start sequence, the batteries are isolated for a microsecond so the system can make sure the Aux battery is able to restart the vehicle after an ESS event. In you case, with the Aux battery disconnected, the system sees the Aux battery as having 0 voltage, thus the service ESS light you are getting.

3. You can disconnect the Aux battery for good by installing a fused jumper in the fuse block or disconnecting the relay that controls isolating the batteries. I disconnected the relay on my Jeep - now it never tries to isolate the battery so upon startup it sees 12 volts, and ESS works with just the main battery. I don't use ESS, though.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts