2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are hundreds and hundreds of threads on this subject, but I haven’t found a similar situation to mine.

2019 touring L

Nov 2020, replaced auxiliary battery due to start stop battery protection mode & service shifter message, as well as having to jump the main battery assuming due to being drained by the aux battery. After replacing the auxiliary battery, the start stop would work every so often, intermittently, which was fine with me cause I can’t stand that feature. The service shifter error never appeared again though.

Fast forward to July 2021, had to jump start van. Figured the aux battery was draining the main battery again. After reading through tons of threads, I removed the negative cable of the aux battery, expecting to only have the “A” error on dash. But when I went to start the van, it wouldn’t start. The instrument panel would light up for a second and then go out. So I put the negative cable back on the aux battery, and it started fine. The service shifter message came on, but I drove it around a few minutes, turned the van off and back on, and the error was gone.

I went to the auto parts store to have them check the batteries. The aux battery tested fine (as well as the alternator), but the main battery was on its last leg, so I had them replace it. I expected this to fix the start stop battery protection mode error message, but it’s still there.

My questions are:

Why didn’t the van start when I disconnected the negative cable from the aux battery?

Why am I still seeing start stop battery protection mode error message if both batteries are good?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know there are hundreds and hundreds of threads on this subject, but I haven’t found a similar situation to mine.

2019 touring L

Nov 2020, replaced auxiliary battery due to start stop battery protection mode & service shifter message, as well as having to jump the main battery assuming due to being drained by the aux battery. After replacing the auxiliary battery, the start stop would work every so often, intermittently, which was fine with me cause I can’t stand that feature. The service shifter error never appeared again though.

Fast forward to July 2021, had to jump start van. Figured the aux battery was draining the main battery again. After reading through tons of threads, I removed the negative cable of the aux battery, expecting to only have the “A” error on dash. But when I went to start the van, it wouldn’t start. The instrument panel would light up for a second and then go out. So I put the negative cable back on the aux battery, and it started fine. The service shifter message came on, but I drove it around a few minutes, turned the van off and back on, and the error was gone.

I went to the auto parts store to have them check the batteries. The aux battery tested fine (as well as the alternator), but the main battery was on its last leg, so I had them replace it. I expected this to fix the start stop battery protection mode error message, but it’s still there.

My questions are:

Why didn’t the van start when I disconnected the negative cable from the aux battery?

Why am I still seeing start stop battery protection mode error message if both batteries are good?
I could be mistaken but these Vans run a continuous loop and I think all batteries have to be hooked up or the car won't start. These Vans are extremely wacky when undercharged and things go Haywire when batteries are even a little low their total juice suckers and it sounds like you've had one good battery one and bad one for a little while on and off and they might be feeding off each out of harmony causing issues. As long as you have AGM batteries that are fully charged and your alternator is at 14 volts or a little higher that's good.. Assuming all batteries are charged and your connections are clean make sure they're not corroded, it might have to go through a drive cycle maybe 100 miles before all your Dashboard Lights go off.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,245 Posts
You said the main battery tested bad. When that is the only battery connected, you did not have enough juice to start the vehicle. The extra juice when you reconnected the aux battery may have just been enough to help start the vehicle.

I have read that you can disconnect both batteries for a minute and then when you reconnect the messages for the ESS messages to reset. Otherwise, you need to go through 4 or 5 drive cycles with at least 4 hours between to have the messages reset.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts