2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,
A new member of the forum because we purchased a new 2019 Pacifica and it came with ESS.
I do have a mixed feeling about ESS, like the idea but to me in most cases the fuel savings are non existing or even negative. I live in a area with number of Stop signs and no Traffic so the engine stops & starts at every stops unless we disable.

Called Chrysler Customer Service and wanted to know if there is any hacks or software upgrade but to my surprise the Service Professional have no idea of the system. They simply suggested to call dealer which I know is also not a fan of this have have no good suggestions.

My take is I will really like the system if the parameters that enables the feature can be customized to some extent.
1) Put a Delay so it avoids when we only stop for a second or two. This will same a lot of wear and tear
2) Put a limit on number of auto stop/start per 1000 miles
3) learn driver's driving pattern and adjust accordingly for best savings on fuel / wear and tear
4) let user select a driving mode such a city/highway/Town/etc so the program can make a better judgement call.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello All,
A new member of the forum because we purchased a new 2019 Pacifica and it came with ESS.
I do have a mixed feeling about ESS, like the idea but to me in most cases the fuel savings are non existing or even negative. I live in a area with number of Stop signs and no Traffic so the engine stops & starts at every stops unless we disable.
I am not a total fan of ESS either and dread future costs to maintain it. However, as far as the stop signs, you will notice that if you do not come to an absolutely PERFECT stop (ever so slight motion forward) and do not fully press the brake, the ESS will not engage. So, you can learn how to manage it by how you press the brake.

I use this as needed to avoid numerous quick ESS stops and restarts.

Mine makes no sense how it works anyway. Sometimes it is available quickly and other times it seems to be charging all the time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am not a total fan of ESS either and dread future costs to maintain it. However, as far as the stop signs, you will notice that if you do not come to an absolutely PERFECT stop (ever so slight motion forward) and do not fully press the brake, the ESS will not engage. So, you can learn how to manage it by how you press the brake.

I use this as needed to avoid numerous quick ESS stops and restarts.

Mine makes no sense how it works anyway. Sometimes it is available quickly and other times it seems to be charging all the time.
ansupal,
Not good advise to not come to a complete stop at stop signs. A full stop allows you the time you need to MAKE SURE there is no cross traffic. Motorcycles are hard to see when you roll through stop signs. And when a police officer is having a bad day, he can give you a ticket for not coming to a complete stop. I know many friends that have received that ticket.
As to the stupid stop/start: There are devices you can attach that give you the option to have it always off or function as it was designed for. I have one on my limited and never have to worry on a dead van at a stop sign.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do not like the ESS. I was going to buy the disable module. I decided to see if I could train myself to push START and then ESS disable as muscle memory. It took two weeks, but I now am on autopilot to turn off the ESS. Sit, seatbelt, START button, ESS button. So I'm not going to shell out for the module it seems.

I found putting a picture above the ESS button helped my notice it more to remember to turn it off. I put a picture of a person I don't particularly like to get my attention LOL.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do not like the ESS. I was going to buy the disable module. I decided to see if I could train myself to push START and then ESS disable as muscle memory. It took two weeks, but I now am on autopilot to turn off the ESS. Sit, seatbelt, START button, ESS button. So I'm not going to shell out for the module it seems.

I found putting a picture above the ESS button helped my notice it more to remember to turn it off. I put a picture of a person I don't particularly like to get my attention LOL.
I like the picture idea. I tried that in my 2019 truck and thought I had it stuck in my head. Then, you guessed it, I forgot and the truck died at the stop light. I did not even notice until I tried to move. Then the delay and the horn behind me. But I have a easy way to kill it in the truck and it stays that way so I don't need the "device" to kill it. I like to call it SSS=stupid stop start. It should have been designed so if YOU wanted it YOU could turn it on

·
Registered
979 Posts
(snip) . . . It should have been designed so if YOU wanted it YOU could turn it on
Yeah, but blame your progressive congresspeeps, not FCA. The regulation requires that you cannot claim the 1-2 mpg benefit on the Monroney sticker if you allow a permanent disable. That's the ONLY reason any manufacturer puts that stupid system in the car.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts