2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Couldn't find a thread on this (maybe my search was not specific enough). I'm looking to get some help with selecting the right EV charger for my home. I believe the older models had limits in charging volt which did not take advantage of some chargers.

Here are some details in case it matters:

• 208v power available to the house
  • Installing indoors (Garage)
  • Wifi signal is good in garage
  • Would like to schedule charging times and see usuage\savings\cost
  • I'm located in Ontario (Hydro One)
  • Ideally, want to charge as fast as possible
Also, any installation tips I should keep in mind? I plan to have a certified electrician but maybe you would have done something differently after the fact.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hello All,

Couldn't find a thread on this (maybe my search was not specific enough). I'm looking to get some help with selecting the right EV charger for my home. I believe the older models had limits in charging volt which did not take advantage of some chargers.

Here are some details in case it matters:

• 208v power available to the house
  • Installing indoors (Garage)
  • Wifi signal is good in garage
  • Would like to schedule charging times and see usuage\savings\cost
  • I'm located in Ontario (Hydro One)
  • Ideally, want to charge as fast as possible
Also, any installation tips I should keep in mind? I plan to have a certified electrician but maybe you would have done something differently after the fact.

Thanks in advanced!
It’s not a big thing but be aware that the lower voltage (208) could make for slightly longer charging times (perhaps in the area of 15%) when compared to an EVSE running at 240v.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I’m think I am narrowing down to chargepoint home flex, any feedback?

·
Registered
267 Posts
208V in Ontario? Are you in a commercial building or complex?

If you're a standard house you should be 240V.

That said I went with chargepoint because many of the public chargers in Ontario are also chargepoint and having one app on my phone is easier. You still need a chargepoint account to use public charging even if it's free.

I have charging schedule set up in the chargepoint to take advantage of TOU electricity rates. No more forgetting to plug in at night or not finishing a charge before rates go up. That leaves the schedule off in the van so if you plug it in anywhere other than home you're instantly charging. In the event you don't plug in the configurable reminder is awfully convenient as well.

You can set your electricity price in the app to track usage and costing. But you can't enter multiple rates for TOU rates / times. That would be a nice feature to pick up. The only bummer is that even though we're in Canada it compares electric use to average US gasoline costs. It won't pull a CAN average for comparison.

That's about all I got. I'm at about a year and a half with our and I've only had to reboot it 2 or 3 times due to it not connecting to servers. Not sure if that was the unit or my wifi but a reboot resolved it each time. I haven't had to do that in a while now.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm in the same boat! I just put a video out on the channel trying to figure out which charger is going to be best.

Just FYI, for the PacHy the 40A charger won’t be of any benefit because the maximum charge rate on the van is 30A. Of course it may be helpful at some point in the future if you get another vehicle that can charge at a higher rate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been looking at the primecom. Tech charger. You can adjust or limit your amps so it will not go over. It is designed to preserve your battery. It has a delay start to get cheaper electric rates but I really like the fact of the two key functionalities an RFID Card so you can change the amperage so you can always charge your vehicle. Please let me know what you think. I went on Amazon and it got excellent reviews and you can get it very reasonably. Thank you. iannilin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just closing the loop on my post, went with ChargePoint Home Flex! Now waiting on van to come in.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts