2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't misunderstand from the title, I really am enjoying my 2018 PacHy... but... has anyone ever had simply an unlucky car? I'm not saying it's cursed, but, unlucky, yeah, I think that applies.

I got my vehicle on 6/7/19. 10 days later, while I was driving home but STOPPED due to traffic (had been stopped for probably around 30 seconds), I got rear ended and had about $1900 worth of damage. My PacHy was in the auto body shop for about 8 days (100% paid for by the other person's insurance, they agreed it was completely her fault). Got it back this past Tuesday.

On Friday, while driving home from work, an armored car driving ahead of me (with reasonable spacing, had Adjustable Cruise Control on with maximum distance set) either kicked up a rock or had something fall from the truck (I'm thinking #2, but can't "prove" it, just didn't really look like a rock from the momentary look at it I had) that hit my windshield (lower left area) & severely crack my windshield. It's absolutely severe enough that the entire windshield has to be replaced. I did get the armored car's information and passed it along to my insurance company, plus, I have a $0 deductible for glass, but still... I need this?

I really like my PacHy and I'm happy to have bought it, but, I swear I'm beginning to think that this car is definitely VERY unlucky.

Anybody else ever have something like this?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I don’t know what to say about it but this is something very common and could happen to anyone. So Sorry that you had to go through with this.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a new 1985 Buick Regal that was like that - garage door spring broke causing the door to fall and dent the hood within two weeks of owning it. Parked way out in the parking lot a few days later, where a shopping cart was rammed into it...it's (or my) luck just kept going like that. By the time that it was six-months old, it appeared ready for the junkyard.
I have always tried to take care of my cars, but that one was jinxed!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a new 1985 Buick Regal that was like that - garage door spring broke causing the door to fall and dent the hood within two weeks of owning it. Parked way out in the parking lot a few days later, where a shopping cart was rammed into it...it's (or my) luck just kept going like that. By the time that it was six-months old, it appeared ready for the junkyard.
I have always tried to take care of my cars, but that one was jinxed!
Yeah... I'm hoping that there won't be a 3rd time to be the charm, that maybe I'm getting lucky and getting rid of all the bad luck at once, but, we'll have to see!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Our 2013 Nissan Altima has been sort of like that. Less than a year after we got it, it was rear ended with a hole in the bumper and right after the fix, someone scraped minor damage into the side of the new bumper. Less than a year later, that side was keyed. After painting the side, a strong wind caught the door that had been painted and blew it into the side of another car in a parking lot bending the edge. Back to the body shop.

Yes it does happen. Otherwise our six years of owning the car has been perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had to Lemon Law my 2015 RAM 1500. Either bad luck or bad quality, not sure. Did get a windshield crack courtesy of an 18-wheeler on I-75 through GA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My grandfather asked the priest of his village always to bless his car, whenever he got a new car. Not sure if it works, but it can't hurt...
Another option in this mindset would be to put a reference of Saint Christopherus in your car, who is the saint patron of all travellers....amazon has it all :)

Not sure if there is something in other religions...I guess it can't hurt :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My grandfather asked the priest of his village always to bless his car, whenever he got a new car. Not sure if it works, but it can't hurt...
Another option in this mindset would be to put a reference of Saint Christopherus in your car, who is the saint patron of all travellers....amazon has it all :)

Not sure if there is something in other religions...I guess it can't hurt :)
Thanks for the ideas, but, being Jewish, probably wouldn't work too hot... thanks though! :grin2:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I certainly had bad luck with a car, but it wasn't that the car was unlucky.....

I was in Vietnam for 16 months, and nothing to spend combat pay and overseas pay and base salary on, so when I got home, I bought a used 1966 Porsche 912 5-speed in 1969.
Drove from NY to California in it...
Got a ticket in virtually every state West of the Mississippi - the cops couldn't stop drooling - a red sports car w/NY plates...they just HAD to pull me over

about 6 miles West of Gallup, New Mexico the crankshaft snapped (Okay, I WAS doing 115)...
Had car towed to nearest Porsche dealer which was Albequerque (sp?).
Picked the car up with rebuilt engine, went to Los Angeles to see a buddy I was in 'Nam with, we stopped for a pizza, and the car was stolen - I still have the keys somewhere.

I loved that car - everything was in one plane - step on the gas, the car went forward, level - American cars of the time would lift the front when you gave gas. Step on the brakes, it stopped, the nose didn't go down and tail rise up. Go in a turn, it didn't lean....I don't think I would have had my license for long (out of state tickets didn't count back then).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, maybe it ISN'T the car that's unlucky

I certainly had bad luck with a car, but it wasn't that the car was unlucky.....

I was in Vietnam for 16 months, and nothing to spend combat pay and overseas pay and base salary on, so when I got home, I bought a used 1966 Porsche 912 5-speed in 1969.
Drove from NY to California in it...
Got a ticket in virtually every state West of the Mississippi - the cops couldn't stop drooling - a red sports car w/NY plates...they just HAD to pull me over

about 6 miles West of Gallup, New Mexico the crankshaft snapped (Okay, I WAS doing 115)...
Had car towed to nearest Porsche dealer which was Albequerque (sp?).
Picked the car up with rebuilt engine, went to Los Angeles to see a buddy I was in 'Nam with, we stopped for a pizza, and the car was stolen - I still have the keys somewhere.

I loved that car - everything was in one plane - step on the gas, the car went forward, level - American cars of the time would lift the front when you gave gas. Step on the brakes, it stopped, the nose didn't go down and tail rise up. Go in a turn, it didn't lean....I don't think I would have had my license for long (out of state tickets didn't count back then).
First of all, sincerely, thank you for your service. While your story didn't convince me that it wasn't the car that's unlucky, I'm now definitely convinced it's me that's unlucky this summer.

After the issues with the car, last night while taking a shower, I managed to lose my balance, fall out of the shower, and break my smallest finger on my left hand. Oh, & it's not just broken, but what's called an avulsion break, meaning that it's chipped off a piece of bone in the knuckle. So, I'll be seeing an orthopedist sometime this week.

The car's innocent, it's me that's got the black cloud (the size of Chicago to London!) going on right now. (sigh)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts