2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the factory Nav, with Nav traffic and it never avoids traffic, just takes me right into the middle of it. It tells me to U-turn, when there is a clear left turn to the destination... I'm Very disappointed that I opted to go with it. The Nav Traffic capable system that came with my last VW was awesome, it would dynamically update and avoid traffic all the time, this one not so much.

Anyone else having these issues?? I already adjusted the one option I found for detours down to 5 mins. Is there a system update available? Am I missing some option in the settings that would make it work better

·
Registered
68 Posts
You are 10000000000% correct.

Its not just bad, its pathetic.

I live in LA. You would think a map of Roads that have been there for 30+ years would be accurate... Nope.

I was driving on the 5 freeway to Burbank. About 10 minutes before Burbank the car had me exit the freeway, do a uturn, go in a circle again, then get back on the freeway... No joke.

It made zero sense.

Thats when I stopped just trusting Nav and now CAREFULLY check the mapped trip before proceeding.

Chrysler software is trash. All of it. Trash. And people are excited about Chryslers advanced saftey software... LOL

My favorite is if you turn the car off with a movie playing, then get back in and turn it on, the Uconnect ALWAYS freezes and won't work for like 5 minutes because the software choked on not being manually shut down first.

As in I have to stop the movie and press power on the theater BEFORE I shut the car off or the Uconnect crashes 100% of the time.

Chrysler is not paying top dollar for great software design in ANY dept...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had similar issues with mine originally but since applying the map update it seems much better (at least I think so). Took it on a trip to FL over spring break and it seemed to do a pretty good job of alerting me to traffic congestion and asking if I'd like to take an alternate route. I know just a map update wouldn't necessarily improve the guidance logic like that, but I'm wondering if there was more to it than just updating maps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone else have map issues where whomever drew the roads didn't connect them completely so it keeps trying to find a different route? There are trips I've driven a bunch before and it tries adding 30 min because it cant use a common road because 10 feet of it is missing somewhere and it isnt continuous.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got the factory Nav, with Nav traffic and it never avoids traffic, just takes me right into the middle of it. It tells me to U-turn, when there is a clear left turn to the destination... I'm Very disappointed that I opted to go with it.
Hmmm. I wonder if the Sirius XM Traffic option with the SiriusXM Travel Link will spread to all the models. They are supplying 5 year subscriptions to SXM Travel Link, 5 years Sirius Traffic subscription along with a 1 year SiriusXM Guardian subscription. Those would be on the fly updates I'm guessing. I haven't ordered a Pacifica in a long time so those may be available.

That software would be totally supplied by Sirius. So claiming that all the software in the van is purely FCA and is pure crap "no matter what" tells me something. That Sirius's quality is sometimes worse than the agents you call when you want to call and cancel the service. :)

Map quality is as good as the industrial geographer. FCA doesn't have hot air balloons or satellites in the air. FCA supplies the GPS antenna (patch) with a unique ID then they depend on someone else to do the math. Probably on the WAAS system. (That's a pretty big -probable- there.) With a helix antenna WAAS does a good job for farmers and gives precise locations down to the foot. In my experience WAAS isn't always dependable around 4:15 MST in my area. I am pretty far north.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Anyone else have map issues where whomever drew the roads didn't connect them completely so it keeps trying to find a different route? There are trips I've driven a bunch before and it tries adding 30 min because it cant use a common road because 10 feet of it is missing somewhere and it isnt continuous.
I had the same problem once, but with Google Maps. Instead of going straight through an intersection it had me turn right, go a block down the side road, make a U-turn, and finally turn right at the original intersection. The difference is that Google has a way to report problems like these. I did so, and it is fixed now.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Don't know about the 2018 2019 versions but what I find even worse is the screen responsiveness to dragging and moving is SUPER laggy to the point where you can't use it to drag or even tap new locations on the map. I have a 2019 rental jeep and the responsiveness is much better but not as good as a phone or my Garmin. Missing a lot of POIs vs the Garmin, and voice commands are pretty shoddy. The only thing that works satisfactorily is the voice address when you read the entire thing out. Having said all that, the nav in my prev Odyssey was even worse.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had similar issues with mine originally but since applying the map update it seems much better (at least I think so). Took it on a trip to FL over spring break and it seemed to do a pretty good job of alerting me to traffic congestion and asking if I'd like to take an alternate route. I know just a map update wouldn't necessarily improve the guidance logic like that, but I'm wondering if there was more to it than just updating maps.
How did you obtain/apply the map update? The driveuconnect.com site is terrible. It gives the impression that you must pay for updates, but never takes you to a place where you can purchase or download them when I select my vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agreed...the technology is generally poor all around. My Uconnect OTA failed twice, yet the dealership says there's no update for it. The maps are junk and the routing is terrible in LA, so I don't use it. Mine seems to be stuck in some sort of avoid freeways mode even though it's not set that way, so it adds extra miles and bunch of city streets to every trip when the freeway is just fine. Uconnect Theater is hit or miss...works sometimes, but black screens sometimes. This is AFTER getting a new video module. The lane keep basically bounces from line to line and doesn't attempt to keep you in the middle and when you exit the freeway and the lines do anything odd, it jerks the wheel pretty hard to follow the wrong line. Really, the hybrid in a vehicle that size is the reason I got it. I shouldn't have bothered with the limited edition since I don't use any of the features cause they suck so bad. Really disappointed with FCA. They really should avoid doing anything with technology. @ChryslerCares tries to help, but the dealership won't do anything they suggest unless they can reproduce the issue. Unless a technician wants to move in with me and live my life with this vehicle, I don't know what to say. Video evidence isn't enough.

·
Registered
219 Posts
How did you obtain/apply the map update? The driveuconnect.com site is terrible. It gives the impression that you must pay for updates, but never takes you to a place where you can purchase or download them when I select my vehicle.
On that driveuconnect.com site under Support is an option for Map Updates. That takes you to another chryslergroupnavigation page where you select your vehicle and it walks you through checking your system so you order the correct update. They shipped me a USB stick with the update that took about 90mins or so to apply to the van. Just checked and it looks like there is no update available for the 2018's. There was one for my 2017 and last year they had them on sale for $50 off so I bit the bullet. Wish these updates were included with the vehicle purchase at least for a couple of years. Also wish I could apply the update to multiple vehicles. I also own a 200 that accepts the same update but it can only be applied to 1 vehicle. I'm guessing as CarPlay and Android Auto gets introduced to more and more vehicles the demand for these buit-in navs will drop to almost nothing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The UConnect map updates are $150 apiece and only released once per year (usually around March). There are no OTA updates from SiriusXM for Navigation.

I bought the first update after getting my Pacifica, but even that seemed massively out of date... so now I either use Google Maps on my phone or a Garmin nuvi. I purchased the Garmin before the Pacifica. I take it on business trips since it's got full Bluetooth connectivity and I need a hands-free device in some states that restrict phone usage, plus the quarterly map updates are free for the lifetime of the GPS and the traffic avoidance seems pretty good. If it breaks, I'll probably get another as it's less than the cost of 2 UConnect updates.

On the other hand, I do like the Advanced Safety Features of the Pacifica. The Adaptive Cruise Control has been very helpful on long highway trips, and the Collision Warning and Blind Spot Monitoring are usefule for my stop-and-go commutes. I also use the 360 Camera when parking (I haven't used the auto-park features yet... those seem gimmicky to me) and the rear cross-path detection when I back out. Those are the main reason I chose the higher level package, not the navigation.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The nav may not be as good as Apple Maps or Google Maps but its basically a Garmin system, so its not that bad. They still sell stand alone Garmin navs so they must be doing something right.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was using Navigation to a place I'd gone to before, and it told me to make a right turn - and I ignored it because I knew I could get where I wanted by going straight. A short distance later, traffic came to a dead stop. I made a u-turn and followed directions and it routed me around the traffic.
Very pleased - didn't realize it avoided traffic.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The nav may not be as good as Apple Maps or Google Maps but its basically a Garmin system, so its not that bad. They still sell stand alone Garmin navs so they must be doing something right.
UConnect is Garmin? I didn't think so because my standalone Garmin in my other car was more up-to-date regarding both maps and points of interest.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well I'm sorry, but of course it sucks. It doesn't really matter that it does though.

At least for me, the only reason I'd use a car's native NAV would be if I didn't have a smartphone or tablet with cell or wireless capability and use google maps or insert your favorite map app here. I mean, except at the very beginning when on-board NAV was a new thing, I am surprised that anyone is complaining about a car's NAV. It's not a new thing, so to speak.

(Certainly, no disrespect to people who for whatever reason don't have or don't use personal electronic devices for this purpose - for that relatively small population, I can see why there are complaints.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
The factory Garmin in my 2014 T&C has had a few minor errors, but mostly they are a result of road construction. My complaint is no free upgrades are offered. My first factory GPS in my 2004 Grand Caravan was free and I received a post card informing me when the new version was available.

I've had Garmin stand alone units for use in my other cars, and they were accurate, but they are a pain and a distraction if driving without a co-pilot, so I always order the factory GPS. Sometimes my wife will use her phone, but except for constant traffic monitoring, it has the same features as my van.

Maybe someday Chrysler, or a third party, will offer a package deal of GPS and Sirius upgrades and renewals at a reduced price. I think they'd sell a bunch of them if the process was kept simple and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't used it a lot but it's worked well when I used it. Mostly I just use the maps to pick a route but once I typed is about 10 - 12 addresses & used the nav to get from one to another. It worked perfect. I've also used it to check if traffic is bad & then pick an alternate route.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Entering an address into the factory nav system is cumberson. I only use the nav system to go to and from work. Everywhere else I use Google Maps on my phone for the actual directions but use the factory nav only to view the map. I've had/have factory nav in two other vehicles and I never used them. The only reason to get the factory nav is it's usually a requirement to get the bigger screen for backup camera and other functions.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
UConnect is Garmin? I didn't think so because my standalone Garmin in my other car was more up-to-date regarding both maps and points of interest.
The Nav system in the Pac is 100% a Garmin system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts