2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It is normal for the current state of the vehicle as all the new ones do it too. But the original software from release of the vehicle does not activate the fan during charging.
Are you sure? The fan is activated intermittently, maybe it wasn't needed. Actively cooling during charging is normal. My BMW also runs the fan from time to time, just like the PacHy.
On my van with the original software, the OBCM charges the 355v battery at 378v and 5.8A during level 2 charging at 12A and without the fan (after 3hrs charging) the charge electronics runs at a stable 153f (67c) which normal for most computer systems.
This is not right. You either read this data when the battery was almost full or your EVSE couldn't supply more than 12A.
The data I got from OBCM aligns with what we know about the car:
Code:
AC and HCP Request Environmental Parameters:
   AC Current While Charging: 28.40 A
   AC Voltage While Charging: 237.20 V
   HCP Vehicle Maximum AC Current Limit: 46.50 A
   HCP Charging Voltage Command: 400 V
   HCP Charging Current Command: 18.00 A
   EVSE AC Voltage Detected: AC OK
   EVSE AC Voltage is Under Minumum Voltage Limit: Not valid
   EVSE AC Voltage is Over Maximum Voltage Limit: Not valid
Battery HV Environmental Parameters:
   OBCM Output Current: 18.40 A
   OBCM Output Voltage: 352.80 V
   Vehicle Maximum DC Current Limit: 20.75 A
The car is drawing 237V/28.4A and converts it to 352V/18.4A

Now the HV Battery can charge at 80kW (225A @ 355v) during regen and discharge at 160kW (450A @ 355v) so its impossible for me to see why the fuss over 5.8A flow during charging? Even after a hard sprint the fan doesnt come on when its driving unless the ICE needs it.
Where did you see 450A? The statistics max out at >180A, the maximum possible current should be under 250A
These high current bursts are short and the battery has enough thermal inertia to absorb them. And for all we know, the battery is always cooled, but when the car is moving the fan isn't needed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue on my 2018 limited ever since manufacturer recalls were applied. I went into the garage and measured the sound level while it was happening and was shocked to find it at a constant 85 db. This is entirely unacceptable - it's like having a shop vac running in my attached garage (kids' room right above) randomly and at all hours of the night.

This is my third electified vehicle and neither of my other two cars ever ran the fan in this manner. I have to assume that there is a major engineering fault here as the recall applied dealt with the runaway cruise control issue recently discovered. Why else would Chrysler secretly adjust fan operation settings to run so aggressively?

I took temperature readings while I was in there: ceiling temp (9') was at 89.8 degrees F, floor temp at 82.9 degrees F, hood temp was at 97.6 degrees F.

What gives??
85 db is not terrible considering how close your sound pressure meter is to the source. Remember the inverse square law:
If you’re measuring the sound pressure at a distance of one foot from the source then merely doubling that to a distance of two feet will decrease the sound pressure by 6 db. So at two feet you’d be down to 79 db and at four feet you’d be down to 73 db.
Also keep in mind that the generally accepted orientation when using a sound pressure microphone is at a right angle to the noise source, not pointing directly at it.

if you’re concerned about the effect of this noise on your ears I wouldn’t worry too much unless you regularly spend a lot of time sitting in front of your car at close proximity to the source.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Are you sure? The fan is activated intermittently, maybe it wasn't needed. Actively cooling during charging is normal. My BMW also runs the fan from time to time, just like the PacHy.
Perhaps you would like to read the thread before commenting.. Its rather frustrating being contradicted by such non sense when its all been covered already.

You still have issues after reading the thread then feel feel to step up.

This is not right. You either read this data when the battery was almost full or your EVSE couldn't supply more than 12A.
Like outlined in the original quote - 12A charge rate already 3 hrs in.

This was a very important part needed to comprehend the context of my post.

Tisktisk.. I spend time considering the information posted by others to understand the posters perpective.

This includes yours - I give you the respect that your not an idiot; I try to understand the information you present before I comment on it.

Obviously you must feel I’m an idiot?

The data I got from OBCM aligns with what we know about the car:
Code:
AC and HCP Request Environmental Parameters:
   AC Current While Charging: 28.40 A
   AC Voltage While Charging: 237.20 V
   HCP Vehicle Maximum AC Current Limit: 46.50 A
   HCP Charging Voltage Command: 400 V
   HCP Charging Current Command: 18.00 A
   EVSE AC Voltage Detected: AC OK
   EVSE AC Voltage is Under Minumum Voltage Limit: Not valid
   EVSE AC Voltage is Over Maximum Voltage Limit: Not valid
Battery HV Environmental Parameters:
   OBCM Output Current: 18.40 A
   OBCM Output Voltage: 352.80 V
   Vehicle Maximum DC Current Limit: 20.75 A
The car is drawing 237V/28.4A and converts it to 352V/18.4A
Congratulations.. your charging at full speed.

Do you consider 18A a thermal issue? To me the difference between my 5.8A and your 18.4A is null in a multi-hundred amp system.

Where did you see 450A? The statistics max out at >180A, the maximum possible current should be under 250A
180A x 355v = 63.9kW
250A x 355v = 88.75kW

Your outa touch, bro.

The Pachy regenerates at 80kW.. thats just the max regen rate, the output is much higher. I‘ve left you a clue in this post..

You figure it out.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
OK, I admit, I only read your post before replying. I was casually looking at the forum while watching TV. I've seen many "fan noise" threads, but apparently missed this one entirely. I was completely unaware about the connection between the the recall and running the fan at full speed. Still, no need to feel triggered and resort to determining who is an idiot (I'm surprised that the decency filter allowed that word). You know that I've always treated your opinions with the upmost respect.
More than once we discovered that the logic controlling the car is complex, and we were wrong in our first conclusions.
I still think that 18A is relevant.The car can handle short bursts of power, but I don't think it will allow to run it for a long time. This is what I found in the BCPM log:

Code:
Discharge/Charge Power Available:
   HV Battery Charge Power 2sec: 63753 W
   HV Battery Charge Power 10sec: 50619 W
   HV Battery Charge Power 30sec: 39336 W
   HV Battery Discharge Power 2sec: 106131 W
   HV Battery Discharge Power 10sec: 103821 W
   HV Battery Discharge Power 30sec: 100494 W
The battery voltage is between 350 and 390V depending on the SOC, it makes the peak charging current 163- 182A and peak discharge current 272-300A.
A 200A current for 10 seconds generates the same amount of heat as 18A current for 2 minutes.
Another possibility is that it is not the battery, but OBCM needs the active cooling, although its thermal losses are in the 500W neighborhood and shouldn't require the full speed fan.
The good thing is that with AlfaOBD we can come closer to understanding of what is going on.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
OK, I admit, I only read your post before replying. I was casually looking at the forum while watching TV. I've seen many "fan noise" threads, but apparently missed this one entirely. I was completely unaware about the connection between the the recall and running the fan at full speed. Still, no need to feel triggered and resort to determining who is an idiot (I'm surprised that the decency filter allowed that word). You know that I've always treated your opinions with the upmost respect.
More than once we discovered that the logic controlling the car is complex, and we were wrong in our first conclusions.
I still think that 18A is relevant.The car can handle short bursts of power, but I don't think it will allow to run it for a long time. This is what I found in the BCPM log:

Code:
The battery voltage is between 350 and 390V depending on the SOC, it makes the peak charging current 163- 182A and peak discharge current 272-300A.
A 200A current for 10 seconds generates the same amount of heat as 18A current for 2 minutes.
Another possibility is that it is not the battery, but OBCM needs the active cooling, although its thermal losses are in the 500W neighborhood and shouldn't require the full speed fan.
The good thing is that with AlfaOBD we can come closer to understanding of what is going on.
So what my data indicates is the actual temps at the OBCM and the BPCM after several hours into charging to allow the heat to soak.

Much like I expected; I found my OBCM running at 153f (67c), BPCM at 84f (29c), coolant pump speed 0.00%.

AZBean ran some tests to determine if active cooling was occuring and the fan was for the AC condenser but doesnt hear the AC compressor running when the fan comes on.

AC requires the fan.

I dont have the u94 recall so my ability to test further is limited, But I can confirm my van does not activate the electric fan like u94 vehicles do.

Maybe you can look into it on your side with your u94 vehicle and alfaOBD. Help put a finger on it with some screenshots.

Otherwise, I accept the 300A output from the battery alone however I stand by the APM and the PIM must be able to handle the 450A based on the Motor A & B can be used to peak output with the ICE contributing. (85kW+63kW)

So my gut tells me it should be simular to the concept of a CPU heatsink and fan in a laptop: the cooling system can deal with the thermal conditions of 100% processing load - not continuously, but long enough to be useful - and yet at idle the processor doesnt need the fan at all because the cooling system moves enough heat naturally by thermal conductivity and convection.

In our Van, charging heats the coolant, and even without a pump running, the coolant is a heat pipe which heat is conducting into and warms the engine block and radiator. These are large masses and need a lot of energy to heat up but a coolant pump will speed it up. We see it on our coolant guages and some precondition the system with this phenomenon.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
AZBean ran some tests to determine if active cooling was occuring and the fan was for the AC condenser but doesnt hear the AC pump running when the fan comes on.
What is AC pump? The compressor? The same fan is used for all cooling functions. The AC may not run, but the Low Temperature cooling loop pump could be on. 67C is on a higher end of comfortable temperatures for electronics, on a hot day it may get to an unsafe range.
I will monitor it when I can, but the hot weather here is over until the next spring.

Otherwise, I accept the 300A output from the battery alone however I stand by the APM and the PIM must be able to handle the 450A based on the Motor A & B can be used to peak output with the ICE contributing. (85kW+63kW)
You assume that both motors can operate at the maximum power at the same time, which may not be the case. The van doesn't feel like it has 200HP in the EV mode. It most certainly doesn't feel like 460HP with both motors and engine going full blast.
A bit offtopic, but the battery cooling capacity is mostly limited by the speed the heat can be dissipated from the inside of the module to the cooling plate.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
This is what I found in the BCPM log:

Code:
I dont seem to have this in my logs?

But I hit 90kw regen just now and held over for 4 sec which that sez i shouldbt be able to do?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
What is AC pump? The compressor? The same fan is used for all cooling functions. The AC may not run, but the Low Temperature cooling loop pump could be on. 67C is on a higher end of comfortable temperatures for electronics, on a hot day it may get to an unsafe range.
I will monitor it when I can, but the hot weather here is over until the next spring.
Thats cool. That another point. We havent seen what happens over the winter. I’ll wager it runs the fan in the snow also :D

You assume that both motors can operate at the maximum power at the same time, which may not be the case. The van doesn't feel like it has 200HP in the EV mode. It most certainly doesn't feel like 460HP with both motors and engine going full blast.
True, I dont know to what extent; but using Chrysler documentation it is clearly using both at the same time.

The Van is rated at 194kW.

So obviously the Motor A needs to limit its contribution when the engine is running because its rate of rotation controls the engine RPM Meaning there is handover thresholds..

However I havent confirmed any of it yet with the van peak output, and whats doing what during a WOT run. I would expect more load will utilize both motors. Like a hill or a accelerating from lower speeds.

A bit offtopic, but the battery cooling capacity is mostly limited by the speed the heat can be dissipated from the inside of the module to the cooling plate.
Yup.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts