2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

FCA RECALL Y65 ESS

33K views 65 replies 28 participants last post by  manoli 
#1 ·
This just showed up as an open recall on my 2018 Touring L. All it says is Y65 (ESS), dated 12/14/22 Anybody know what this is about?

#2 · (Edited)
Where are you seeing this at? None of my sources show this recall. A quick Google search yielded nothing as well.

#7 ·
It shows up on my MOPAR dashboard as well. The campaign description though is a bad link and has no further information. Will this be the ultimate recall to fix the ESS?
I had mine in the other day because I was getting the information that the engine was warmed up but the battery was charging. The dealer tested both batteries and said they were fine but low in charge. They recharged them and "reset" the IBS. The visit cost me nothing. Phooey! I am not ready to disconnect the AUX battery just yet but...
I find it hard to believe that the vehicle is incapable of recharging the battery in moderate (40 degrees) weather.

#8 ·
It shows up on my MOPAR dashboard as well. The campaign description though is a bad link and has no further information. Will this be the ultimate recall to fix the ESS?
I had mine in the other day because I was getting the information that the engine was warmed up but the battery was charging. The dealer tested both batteries and said they were fine but low in charge. They recharged them and "reset" the IBS. The visit cost me nothing. Phooey! I am not ready to disconnect the AUX battery just yet but...
I find it hard to believe that the vehicle is incapable of recharging the battery in moderate (40 degrees) weather.
There's no clue as to what the recall is for. The "ESS" we're seeing is simply part of the vehicle's description, not the recall itself.

#10 ·
Just had the van in last week and they apparently knew nothing about it yet or it was not released. I sure am curious about the specifics and, if it is a recall, maybe it will not cost me anything.

#11 ·
From the mopar site in @freddief73 's post above, this update is listed as a Campaign. Also from the same web site.

What is a vehicle campaign?
A vehicle campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern. There are two types:

• An emissions recall and
  • A customer satisfaction notification: A Customer Satisfaction Notification (CSN) is preventive in nature and involves warranty or customer satisfaction issues that are non-safety related. FCA US LLC will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.

So when we find out the details on this campaign, it looks like I may have to hook up my aux battery again to take it in for the fix. :p

#18 ·
I brought our 2017 in for this Monday (ESS dash light had been on since we purchased the vehicle)...after service the light is off and ESS works.
Did the dealer do the repairs from the Campaign Y65? Were there any parts replaced, or was it just a software flash?

#22 ·
A recall is required to be performed free of charge.

Reactions: soccerfan
#24 ·
It should be noted that this is actually NOT a recall. It's just a Customer Satisfaction campaign. If it were a recall, the document in the PDF would say "IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL" at the top instead of "CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION." It's a free repair, and people will still get letters about it, but it's not a recall.

#26 ·
The actual wording of what the NOTIFICATION is about:

The powertrain control module software may cause the Engine Stop/Start (ESS) feature on your vehicle to be disabled. A message stating “Stop/Start Required Fault Detected” may display on the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) or the “Service Auto Start/Stop” light may illuminate.

#28 ·
Finally received the snail mail Y65 letter today for our 2017 TL+. My ESS has been working fine, but I will contact my dealer and schedule the PCM update. Original AUX battery failed at 41,000 miles, and main battery about 52,000 miles, and replaced them both myself.

#32 ·
my '18 TL+ last week started this ESS issue and warning light. ESS doesnt work right now. i am hoping FCA will cover me under this Y65 service and also batteries LOL i'll find out thursday.

#35 · (Edited)
So I just had the recall done and they said the light came back on so they checked the batteries and they both came back bad.

Now when the light first came on in November I had the batteries tested at Autozone and they said they were fine.

Obviously things could change, but is the dealership teating them differently than autozone?

ETA: Prior to the update the battery voltage fluctuated between 13.8 and 14.2. Currently it's sitting steady at 12.7

Does the update correct some kind of voltage read error?

#36 ·
So I just had the recall done and they said the light came back on so they checked the batteries and they both came back bad.

Now when the light first came on in November I had the batteries tested at Autozone and they said they were fine.

Obviously things could change, but is the dealership teating them differently than autozone?
It is possible Autozone did not disconnect the batteries before testing. They must be disconnected for accurate readings.

#37 ·
Is the recall flash a 1 and done deal?

Went ahead and replaced the primary and secondary batteries, got the battery charging message, drove about 30 minutes on the highway with them, but still getting the message Stop/Start not available battery charging.

I'm going to give it a few days but if it isn't corrected can I go back and have them flash it again under the recall?

#39 ·
Yes. The negative cable is the one closest to the front of the vehicle. And all you have to do is remove that connector. It does not matter if you touch a body part with the cable, so I just found something under the hood to zip tie the cable to just to make sure it did not catch on anything .

You will still see the 'A' , but I hardly even notice it now. I get a chime and a quick message about the ESS system when the vehicle is started.

As you were still getting this message, have you had your batteries checked? If you are still on the original batteries for a 2018, they may be getting weak. As you have disconnected the aux you can forget about that. But you should get the main battery checked to be sure a bad aux did not drain the life out of the main.

Reactions: lightrules
#40 ·
Yes. The negative cable is the one closest to the front of the vehicle. And all you have to do is remove that connector. It does not matter if you touch a body part with the cable, so I just found something under the hood to zip tie the cable to just to make sure it did not catch on anything .

You will still see the 'A' , but I hardly even notice it now. I get a chime and a quick message about the ESS system when the vehicle is started.

As you were still getting this message, have you had your batteries checked? If you are still on the original batteries for a 2018, they may be getting weak. As you have disconnected the aux you can forget about that. But you should get the main battery checked to be sure a bad aux did not drain the life out of the main.
very helpful reply. gonna disconnect the aux - tomorrow. yeah i dont mind the circle A "ESS" code on the dash, whatever. i never use ESS though, always turn it off manually. but yes i plan to check the main battery and MOST likely will just replace it soon since it's already 4 yrs. thanks man (y)

#41 ·
@peterweb (or others), what do you know about this plug that the guy removes in this video (time stamped) below. apparently pulling that plug out disables the ESS also but does mean the dash code lights up. any reason to not simply do as the video and remove the plug instead of removing the aux negative cable? i guess the Q i have is if pulling this plug still allows the aux battery to drain the main battery...if so then i'd rather still just unplug the aux negative cable. thoughts?

#43 ·
As far as I can tell, using this method gives the same result, ie the A light will still be on all the time. But the downside might be that the aux battery could still get weak, especially if you do not drive too much in these Covid times. Then that could drag down and kill your main battery prematurely.

#44 ·
I went ahead and disconnected the negative on the auxiliary battery today, super easy and I zip tied it just like @peterweb did. and just to be clear, by removing the negative on the auxiliary, the main battery can no longer be drained by the auxiliary, correct?

#46 ·
Had the "recall" done 2 days ago, not because I had the error message on the dash (never did), but I thought the latest version of the power train module software should be a good thing.
Everything worked fine for 2 days, in fact the van seem to shift smoother, but today pulling out of the garage, it started to noticeably rough idle and the stop/start dash light displays on the dash..... oops.
So, I go back to the dealer and tell him the story. They test drive the car, could not find any codes, and the stop/start symbol on the dash is gone. They also mentioned when the voltage increased, on the test drive, then stop/start was available. So everything is normal..... nothing to fix.
Others have mentioned that the stop/start symbol was on the dash before and after the upgrade and had to be cleared. In my case, it showed up after the upgrade, but cleared itself....... some strange juju.

#49 ·
I think Freddie73 and others would know better than me, but my understanding of the voltage we see in the vehicle information panel in front of the steering wheel relates to what the alternator is currently putting out, not what the battery is currently rated at. If it was putting out 14.x volts before and it is putting out 12.x now, I don't see that necessarily as a bad thing.

#50 · (Edited)
If the van is not running the voltage you see is what is being measured from the battery(s). If you have the ESS which most of us do when the vehicle is off the Main and Aux batteries are connected. If the vehicle is running your seeing the charge voltage from the alternator, depending on the state of charge of the battery that voltage can vary (13.4 to 14.6) from what I can remember that I have seen on our Pacifica.

#53 ·
If it wasn't important the engineers would not have wasted their time developing the update and issuing a recall.

Reactions: VelvetRedAWD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.