2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are now currently 4 cases of Pacifica hybrids catching fire/exploding that I am aware of. What is Chrysler doing to investigate this? I am putting this thread together to email a consolidated link to Chrysler Corporate and the NHTSA.

This is alarming to me. My main concern is, on a level two charger these use up to 6kW while charging. What is preventing these from exploding on a long road trip when the hybrid charging system is producing an average 10kW to 50kW+? I have six people that ride in mine. Two of which are locked in five-point harnesses. If mine explodes while at highway speeds under higher voltage hybrid sustain charging, would I be able to stop the vehicle and get everyone out in time, or would everyone be rendered unconscious or deceased from a blast coming up through the floor in the center of the vehicle? At this point, this is no longer an isolated incident. Without investigating and knowing the cause, an explosion could potentially happen while driving it as this has nothing to do with the type of charger used. Out of the three that exploded, the chargers in use were factory 110, ChargePoint 240, and JuiceBox 240.

While this first one did not explode, it still caught on fire months after the recall while traveling on the highway. The fire could have caused the hybrid battery to explode before they got out or later on the side of the highway. Regardless of the cause, it still burnt to the ground.

pacifica hybrid caught fire while on highway - narrow escape

However, these three did explode.

A second Pacifica PHEV fire

Pacifica Hybrid burnt to the ground

House fire - Hybrid 18 Pacifica strongly indicated as cause
Photos in the link below of garage door blown off to street and no fire damage to the door. The shape of the door indicates it was bent from the inside out. Roller guides are ripped off and missing.
Portage home catches fire

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have submitted this forum post to Chrylser. Awaiting a response.

Your inquiry has been received by the Chrysler Customer Care. We appreciate your contact with us and look forward to getting back with you as soon as possible.

To ensure a prompt response, please add to your Safe Senders list, Address Book or Contact List. Please also monitor your Junk Mail or Spam Folder for our response.

Should this matter be urgent, or if you desire a quicker response, please contact us by phone to discuss your issue with one of our Chrysler Advisors.

Chrysler Brand: 800-247-9753

FCA Brand : 800-247-9753

For any future communication related to this email, please refer to reference number 64636194.

Sincerely,
The Chrysler Brand

To view the Chrysler Privacy Policy, visit
https://www.chrysler.com/crossbrand_us/privacy

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have submitted this forum post to NHTSA. Awaiting a response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are now currently 4 cases of Pacifica hybrids catching fire/exploding. What is Chrysler doing to investigate this? I am putting this thread together to email a consolidated link to Chrysler Corporate and the NTSA.

This is alarming to me. My main concern is, on a level two charger these use up to 6kW while charging. What is preventing these from exploding on a long road trip when the hybrid charging system is producing and avenger 10kW to 50kW+? I have six people that ride in mine. Two of which are locked in five-point harnesses. If mine explodes while at highway speeds under higher voltage hybrid sustain charging, would I be able to stop the vehicle and get everyone out in time, or would everyone be rendered unconscious or deceased from a blast coming up through the floor in the center of the vehicle? At this point, this is no longer an isolated incident. Without investigating and knowing the cause, an explosion could potentially happen while driving it.

While this first one did not explode, it still caught on fire months after the recall while traveling on the highway. The fire could have caused the hybrid battery to explode before they got out or later on the side of the highway. Regardless of the cause, it still burnt to the ground.

pacifica hybrid caught fire while on highway - narrow escape

However, these three did explode.

A second Pacifica PHEV fire

Pacifica Hybrid burnt to the ground

House fire - Hybrid 18 Pacifica strongly indicated as cause
Really appreciate for starting this thread.
I also own a 2019(Mar) Hyd Ltd and really concerned about these fire/ burnt/safety issues with a car. Chrysler should conduct a thorough investigation to find the root cause and should inform all buyers what it is doing to prevent occurrence of similar incidents

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Really appreciate for starting this thread.
I also own a 2019(Mar) Hyd Ltd and really concerned about these fire/ burnt/safety issues with a car. Chrysler should conduct a thorough investigation to find the root cause and should inform all buyers what it is doing to prevent occurrence of similar incidents
If the trend continues, I will get rid of this vehicle before I let it kill one of my kids.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There has been no direct evidence that supports its the car in question . The theory of pointing the finger and just assuming is only that . So what we have here is the word probability, the law of percentages versus hard factual evidence . You do realize that your house could explode from gas lines , carbon monoxide poisoning , electrical fire from fuse box or wiring , etc . So to just assume that all pacifica hybrids are going to explode is purely a illogical statement . Did you sell your house when you had to install co2 detectors or smoke alarms in it ? We encounter the perils of risk everyday , unfortunately in life stuff and things happen on a daily basis. But if your going to bring topic to the forum to discuss have some factual information and not just heresy. Logic and factual evidence supersedes theories based on emotional assumptions, just saying .

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There has been no direct evidence that supports its the car in question .
Three hybrids exploding with a loud boom and burning to the ground plus one house? Of course not.

You do realize that your house could explode from gas lines , carbon monoxide poisoning
Negative, I have 100% electric.

So to just assume that all pacifica hybrids are going to explode is purely a illogical statement .
First, never "assume" anything. Second, I never made a statement "all pacifica hybrids are going to explode".

Did you sell your house when you had to install co2 detectors or smoke alarms in it ?
Negative, I am still the original owner after 20 years. MIne are hardwired with a 30-year warranty. Still trying to figure out what "CO2 detectors or smoke alarms" has to do with my OP.

·
Registered
492 Posts
While I'm not yet ready to join a crusade, I think Chrysler needs to look into this. It's 4 fires of unconfirmed origin. There are thousands of these vans out there in the public, plus the ones Waymo has. While individually and personally these incidents are VERY impactful, this is still a very small number of incidents.

If the van is a problem, they need to make it right asap. Electric vehicles are important to the future, and we don't need a (by the numbers) small problem to appear much larger. We also don't need it to become a bigger problem if future fires can be prevented. At this point we are limited to property damage, no lives lost. Now is the time to investigate and find out if there is something to address.

I still park mine in the garage every night. I charge it and leave it plugged in until I leave, just like I have for 32k miles and over 2 years.

I'd love to know build dates for these 4 vans. I wonder if this can be traced to a bad batch of batteries or something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow! Thanks for posting! This is horrible! Please keep us updated!

FYI - no matter what car you drive - it's a good idea to carry a seat belt cutter - perhaps keep on keychain or in center console - to cut those kids out fast.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
While I'm not yet ready to join a crusade, I think Chrysler needs to look into this. It's 4 fires of unconfirmed origin. There are thousands of these vans out there in the public, plus the ones Waymo has. While individually and personally these incidents are VERY impactful, this is still a very small number of incidents.

If the van is a problem, they need to make it right asap. Electric vehicles are important to the future, and we don't need a (by the numbers) small problem to appear much larger. We also don't need it to become a bigger problem if future fires can be prevented. At this point we are limited to property damage, no lives lost. Now is the time to investigate and find out if there is something to address.

I still park mine in the garage every night. I charge it and leave it plugged in until I leave, just like I have for 32k miles and over 2 years.

I'd love to know build dates for these 4 vans. I wonder if this can be traced to a bad batch of batteries or something.
We love ours and hoping it last a long time without problems. With kids factored in it changes the dynamics. You can't just open one door and jump out.

I agree 100% I am very interested to see the results of the 62,000 ordered by Waymo in time to come.

If this was happening once a year it would not be a big deal to me. Multiple car brands catch fire each year. With this being only Pacifica hybrids reported, and three going out the same way in the last few months, that is very concerning.

Yes, the build dates would be great to know. It would also be great to see a picture of the second-row seat floor section on the ones that exploded to see if the floor was fully breached, or if the offered some sort of protection.

They do need to get on this ASAP. This could be hardware or software update that could be glitching out and allowing the car to charge after it has completed and it thinks it's not charing making the battery overheat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! Thanks for posting! This is horrible! Please keep us updated!

FYI - no matter what car you drive - it's a good idea to carry a seat belt cutter - perhaps keep on keychain or in center console - to cut those kids out fast.
Will do.

Great mentioning the cutters some might not know about those. I have two safety belt cutters. One in the front and one in the back. Plus two spring-loaded glass punches, and two fire extinguishers in each of my autos.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Three hybrids exploding with a loud boom and burning to the ground plus one house? Of course not.
Just because three hybrids were involved in fires does not mean that they were the cause of the fires. Of the cases I have seen and read about in these forums I have not been convinced yet that any of them were caused by the vehicles themselves. There’s just not enough information that has been presented to determine that.

A vehicle that has a tankful of gas and/or fully charged lithium batteries has a lot of potential energy that is just sitting there waiting to be released. If a fire starts near such a vehicle but is unrelated to the vehicle there will eventually be a large discharge of energy when the fire becomes associated with the vehicle. Until someone can give specific details about how the fires started based upon concrete evidence then all I can say is that it was unfortunate that the fire happened and it’s unfortunate that a vehicle and/or a house was destroyed by the fire.

Just because a hybrid vehicle happened to be in the garage of a house that caught fire and just because it appears that the fire started near the vehicle is not enough for me to believe that the vehicle was the cause of the fire. If I have a bunch of fireworks stashed in my closet and suddenly my house catches fire and burns in a rather spectacular way, I cannot say that the fireworks were the cause of the fire. All I can assume is that they may have fueled the fire and made it a bit more spectacular.

Another interesting thing to me is that in at least two cases in these forums the person who posted the story joined the forum for the sole purpose of relating that story to the public. And the stories were posted very shortly after the fire happened. A catastrophic fire can be a very traumatic event. Emotions run high. We look for someone or something to blame. But suppose that after some days/weeks have passed it is discovered that something other than the hybrid vehicle caused the fire. What are the chances that the original poster is going to come back and tell the real story?

And I’m not faulting the people who have told their stories here. It’s only natural to have a certain fear of things that we don’t have a lot of experience with. There have been a few hi-profile stories implicating lithium batteries as the cause of fires but let’s wait and let the investigators/insurance companies do their jobs.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just because three hybrids were involved in fires does not mean that they were the cause of the fires.
The 👽 did it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I’m curious as to the insurance implications. If electrics of any kind have a correlation or causation of large losses, that’ll eventually translate to higher premiums. The odds of that impacting me are likely far higher than the odds of a fire.

I’m personally not very concerned. The statistics on vehicle fires that some of our members have posted previously don’t really indicate anything is out of the norm.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The 👽 did it.
These belittling and sarcastic remarks to anyone that doesn't immediately join your bandwagon will make it hard to rally people. This isn't your first time with this crap. It's hard to take you seriously when you are constantly belittlng people.

Do you treat people in your everyday life this poorly, or just the people on the forum you are hoping to sway to your side?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I’m curious as to the insurance implications. If electrics of any kind have a correlation or causation of large losses, that’ll eventually translate to higher premiums. The odds of that impacting me are likely far higher than the odds of a fire.

I’m personally not very concerned. The statistics on vehicle fires that some of our members have posted previously don’t really indicate anything is out of the norm.
4 vehicle fires aren't even a blip on the radar to any insurance carrier. Narrowing that down to electrical versions of a vehicle that also has a gas version is even harder for us. As machine learning goes on, that kind of granularity may get easier for us, but we deal with such large numbers of "things" that 4 fires over 1.5 years wouldn't even be noticed currently. Now spread them out across multiple insurance carriers and states.

Further, we just don't react that fast to "new" things. We have whole conferences on things like drones, marijuana, driver assist features, etc. We get together and wring our hands and then go home and decide we won't underwrite those risks or provide discounts for certain safety features. There isn't enough data to support a position until there are hundreds of thousands or sometimes millions of data points to inspect. Some other carrier has to be brave and go first, then the rest of us watch how they do.

While personally highly impactful, these events are not even visible statistically. I wouldn't worry about insurance rates just yet.

Anecdotally, I've never seen a fire of an electrical vehicle move thorugh my company. Plenty of gassers and oil burners, but no electrical. I have seen electrical fires of gassers and oil burners. I manage auto physical damage claims (how we handle them) for a mid-size nationwide insurance carrier. I also have oversight of the total loss group. I don't look at every claim, but the group knows I am an electrical vehicle evangalist. They'd point one out to me. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Statistics are interesting to play with.

For example, the 12,800 members of this forum represent about 4% of Pacifica owners. We have been made aware of 4 Pachy fires, all apparently caused (not proven) by the Li traction battery. Could other such fires have happened that we are not aware of because that small percentage? Statistically, very likely.

Emotions often trump statistics. What we have seen is the result of four white hot fast igniting fires that cause total destruction of the vehicle. In one case it spread to the family home where all their possessions were also destroyed. Those pictures got to me, like a gut punch. I teared up a little, too.

In each case it appears the vehicle acted as a time bomb, igniting only after several hours of disuse, usually during the night while the owners were sleeping. This is quite different from the random fires in petrol fueled vehicles that are usually caused by leaky parts in the fuel distribution system (often damaged or poorly maintained) while driving or the short time after the vehicle is stopped and still hot. Humans are usually present and able to react. Time bombs are much scarier than random fires.

The Pachy fires are not random events in poorly maintained vehicles. Because of the similarity in each case, maybe even a single point of failure. There has to be a cause. Until it is found, advocacy for the Pachy should be paused.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Waldo, I know how you feel. I was pumped to get have just ordered a PacHy, but if this happened to me, my whole house would be toast. I called my dealer today, explained, and they immediately cancelled my order and refunded my deposit.

I hope this gets sorted out, because if we can go a few years without these problems, I will be right back trying to get one of these.

·
Registered
98 Posts
...This is quite different from the random fires in petrol fueled vehicles that are usually caused by leaky parts in the fuel distribution system (often damaged or poorly maintained) while driving or the short time after the vehicle is stopped and still hot.
Have you read NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V740000 ?

Until it is found, advocacy for the Pachy should be paused.
In my opinion this is like yelling fire in a theater. Irony intended.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Emotions often trump statistics
They shouldn't. That causes a lot of problems in the world today. Critical thinking should be in the lead.

Those pictures got to me, like a gut punch. I teared up a little, too.
It's good that you are sympathetic, but don't let emotions prompt an illogical response.

In each case it appears the vehicle acted as a time bomb....Time bombs are much scarier than random fires.
This is like Facebook levels of drama.

There has to be a cause. Until it is found, advocacy for the Pachy should be paused.
There are thousand of owners that nothing but great experiences. They should be silenced for an unproven theory? Come on man.....

1 - 20 of 62 Posts