2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Waldo, I know how you feel. I was pumped to get have just ordered a PacHy, but if this happened to me, my whole house would be toast. I called my dealer today, explained, and they immediately cancelled my order and refunded my deposit.

I hope this gets sorted out, because if we can go a few years without these problems, I will be right back trying to get one of these.
Had this happened a few months ago before I got mine, I would have waited as well until this was investigated and sorted out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Negative, I am still the original owner after 20 years. MIne are hardwired with a 30-year warranty. Still trying to figure out what "CO2 detectors or smoke alarms" has to do with my OP.
If you have hardwired CO detectors with a 30-year warranty in your home I am seriously interested in knowing the manufacturer and model.

·
Registered
979 Posts
There are thousand of owners that nothing but great experiences. They should be silenced for an unproven theory? Come on man.....
Since when does "paused" equate to "silenced"? That sounds to me like the use of an emotionally laden word to change my meaning; that's not logical, but it is crafty. (I have always been very good at reading comprehension and critical thinking.)

There are thousands of happy owners of vehicles under all NHTSA recalls and production/sale stop orders.

Because of the severity of the damage caused by several Pacifica PHEVs, this issue has to be solved before sales continue. If Chrysler needs an embarrassing NHTSA order, so be it. (If I were a Honda or Toyota dealer, I'd sure have nice 8 x 10 copies of those pictures in all salespersons desks.)

·
Registered
331 Posts
There’s a lot of emotion in this. Some, like Waldo, have no vested interest yet considerable emotion. I can’t fathom why, for anyone other than those directly impacted.

Then again, I go outside in thunderstorms. I smoke. I eat red meat, drink caffeine, and exercise rarely. I drive on roads where I see accidents happen, at times. I live in a home made of wood, with fireplaces, gas appliances, and all manner of cheap Chinese electrical devices. I park and charge a PacHy in my garage.

I‘m comfortable with all of those risks. I don’t begrudge anyone who isn’t, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over any of it. They’re all so minor as to be insignificant.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There’s a lot of emotion in this. Some, like Waldo, have no vested interest yet considerable emotion. I can’t fathom why, for anyone other than those directly impacted.
interest ≠ emotion

Direct impact isn't necessary at all. I'm interested in the space program, yet have no vested interest. Similarly am interested in pacifica issues such as ESS and V53 recall yet aren't directly impacted by them.

fathom away ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
331 Posts
interest ≠ emotion

Direct impact isn't necessary at all. I'm interested in the space program, yet have no vested interest. Similarly am interested in pacifica issues such as ESS and V53 recall yet aren't directly impacted by them.

fathom away ¯\(ツ)
”Emotions often trump statistics. What we have seen is the result of four white hot fast igniting fires that cause total destruction of the vehicle. In one case it spread to the family home where all their possessions were also destroyed. Those pictures got to me, like a gut punch. I teared up a little, too.”

It‘s this sort of emotionally-driven thinking that I was discussing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
”Emotions often trump statistics. What we have seen is the result of four white hot fast igniting fires that cause total destruction of the vehicle. In one case it spread to the family home where all their possessions were also destroyed. Those pictures got to me, like a gut punch. I teared up a little, too.”

It‘s this sort of emotionally-driven thinking that I was discussing.
You didn't quote so I presumed you were responding to the previous post, not the one 6 or 7 posts prior.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There are now currently 4 cases of Pacifica hybrids catching fire/exploding that I am aware of. What is Chrysler doing to investigate this? I am putting this thread together to email a consolidated link to Chrysler Corporate and the NHTSA.
Just as a point of reference. Take this information for what it’s worth:

According to the article, “Regarding the risk of electrochemical failure, [this] report concludes that the propensity and severity of fires and explosions from the accidental ignition of flammable electrolytic solvents used in Li-ion battery systems are anticipated to be somewhat comparable to or perhaps slightly less than those for gasoline or diesel vehicular fuels. The overall consequences for Li-ion batteries are expected to be less because of the much smaller amounts of flammable solvent released and burning in a catastrophic failure situation.”

Some interesting quotes from the article:

Lithium-ion batteries may suffer thermal runaway and cell rupture if overheated or overcharged, and in extreme cases this can lead to combustion. To reduce these risks, lithium-ion battery packs contain fail-safe circuitry that shuts down the battery when its voltage is outside the safe range.”

“Fire incidents in highway capable vehicles occur relatively frequently. A study of U.S. fires from 2003-2007 finds that fire departments respond to an average of 287,000 vehicle fires per year, or 30 vehicle fires per hour, and that vehicles were involved in 17% of all reported U.S. fires.”

And another interesting article to read:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts