2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Waldo, I know how you feel. I was pumped to get have just ordered a PacHy, but if this happened to me, my whole house would be toast. I called my dealer today, explained, and they immediately cancelled my order and refunded my deposit.

I hope this gets sorted out, because if we can go a few years without these problems, I will be right back trying to get one of these.
Had this happened a few months ago before I got mine, I would have waited as well until this was investigated and sorted out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Negative, I am still the original owner after 20 years. MIne are hardwired with a 30-year warranty. Still trying to figure out what "CO2 detectors or smoke alarms" has to do with my OP.
If you have hardwired CO detectors with a 30-year warranty in your home I am seriously interested in knowing the manufacturer and model.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
There are thousand of owners that nothing but great experiences. They should be silenced for an unproven theory? Come on man.....
Since when does "paused" equate to "silenced"? That sounds to me like the use of an emotionally laden word to change my meaning; that's not logical, but it is crafty. (I have always been very good at reading comprehension and critical thinking.)

There are thousands of happy owners of vehicles under all NHTSA recalls and production/sale stop orders.

Because of the severity of the damage caused by several Pacifica PHEVs, this issue has to be solved before sales continue. If Chrysler needs an embarrassing NHTSA order, so be it. (If I were a Honda or Toyota dealer, I'd sure have nice 8 x 10 copies of those pictures in all salespersons desks.)

·
Registered
416 Posts
There’s a lot of emotion in this. Some, like Waldo, have no vested interest yet considerable emotion. I can’t fathom why, for anyone other than those directly impacted.

Then again, I go outside in thunderstorms. I smoke. I eat red meat, drink caffeine, and exercise rarely. I drive on roads where I see accidents happen, at times. I live in a home made of wood, with fireplaces, gas appliances, and all manner of cheap Chinese electrical devices. I park and charge a PacHy in my garage.

I‘m comfortable with all of those risks. I don’t begrudge anyone who isn’t, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over any of it. They’re all so minor as to be insignificant.

·
Registered
690 Posts
There’s a lot of emotion in this. Some, like Waldo, have no vested interest yet considerable emotion. I can’t fathom why, for anyone other than those directly impacted.
interest ≠ emotion

Direct impact isn't necessary at all. I'm interested in the space program, yet have no vested interest. Similarly am interested in pacifica issues such as ESS and V53 recall yet aren't directly impacted by them.

fathom away ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
416 Posts
interest ≠ emotion

Direct impact isn't necessary at all. I'm interested in the space program, yet have no vested interest. Similarly am interested in pacifica issues such as ESS and V53 recall yet aren't directly impacted by them.

fathom away ¯\(ツ)
”Emotions often trump statistics. What we have seen is the result of four white hot fast igniting fires that cause total destruction of the vehicle. In one case it spread to the family home where all their possessions were also destroyed. Those pictures got to me, like a gut punch. I teared up a little, too.”

It‘s this sort of emotionally-driven thinking that I was discussing.

·
Registered
690 Posts
”Emotions often trump statistics. What we have seen is the result of four white hot fast igniting fires that cause total destruction of the vehicle. In one case it spread to the family home where all their possessions were also destroyed. Those pictures got to me, like a gut punch. I teared up a little, too.”

It‘s this sort of emotionally-driven thinking that I was discussing.
You didn't quote so I presumed you were responding to the previous post, not the one 6 or 7 posts prior.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There are now currently 4 cases of Pacifica hybrids catching fire/exploding that I am aware of. What is Chrysler doing to investigate this? I am putting this thread together to email a consolidated link to Chrysler Corporate and the NHTSA.
Just as a point of reference. Take this information for what it’s worth:

According to the article, “Regarding the risk of electrochemical failure, [this] report concludes that the propensity and severity of fires and explosions from the accidental ignition of flammable electrolytic solvents used in Li-ion battery systems are anticipated to be somewhat comparable to or perhaps slightly less than those for gasoline or diesel vehicular fuels. The overall consequences for Li-ion batteries are expected to be less because of the much smaller amounts of flammable solvent released and burning in a catastrophic failure situation.”

Some interesting quotes from the article:

Lithium-ion batteries may suffer thermal runaway and cell rupture if overheated or overcharged, and in extreme cases this can lead to combustion. To reduce these risks, lithium-ion battery packs contain fail-safe circuitry that shuts down the battery when its voltage is outside the safe range.”

“Fire incidents in highway capable vehicles occur relatively frequently. A study of U.S. fires from 2003-2007 finds that fire departments respond to an average of 287,000 vehicle fires per year, or 30 vehicle fires per hour, and that vehicles were involved in 17% of all reported U.S. fires.”

And another interesting article to read:

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just dumped ours yesterday at CarMax and took a $25k hit on it. We also had this happen to our Pacifica Hybrid. My wife was on a busy bay area freeway and lost power, started smelling acidic smoke and the vehicle started shaking violently. We emailed Mr. Manley and Regina Knox, who is their head of customer service. The dealership went silent, wouldn't return calls, provide information, etc. We finally found out that it was indeed the recall that caused this issue. The dealership replaced O2 sensors and the catalytic converters and then expected us to put our family back inside this vehicle. NOT going to happen. Regina was a complete waste of time and was simply a mouthpiece with absolutely no care at all about our family.

We are very happy to be rid of it and very thankful that our family wasn't injured when this happened. Thankful that our children had just been dropped off at school and were not in the vehicle.

My advice is to get rid of these vehicles if you own one and don't risk putting yourself and family in this grave danger.
Note that the state of CA has a hold on the sale of these vehicles with the DMV. The DMV is requiring a certificate that the recall has been completed. And you guessed it, the dealership didn't provide that to us either. We had to make a special trip back to the dealership in order to get this so we could sell the POS.

Something for sure needs to be done!

·
Registered
98 Posts
We just dumped ours yesterday at CarMax and took a $25k hit on it. We also had this happen to our Pacifica Hybrid. My wife was on a busy bay area freeway and lost power, started smelling acidic smoke and the vehicle started shaking violently. We emailed Mr. Manley and Regina Knox, who is their head of customer service. The dealership went silent, wouldn't return calls, provide information, etc. We finally found out that it was indeed the recall that caused this issue. The dealership replaced O2 sensors and the catalytic converters and then expected us to put our family back inside this vehicle. NOT going to happen. Regina was a complete waste of time and was simply a mouthpiece with absolutely no care at all about our family.

We are very happy to be rid of it and very thankful that our family wasn't injured when this happened. Thankful that our children had just been dropped off at school and were not in the vehicle.

My advice is to get rid of these vehicles if you own one and don't risk putting yourself and family in this grave danger.
Note that the state of CA has a hold on the sale of these vehicles with the DMV. The DMV is requiring a certificate that the recall has been completed. And you guessed it, the dealership didn't provide that to us either. We had to make a special trip back to the dealership in order to get this so we could sell the POS.

Did you actually take a 25k hit on it? If so I'm not sure why you would do that knowingly. It sure sounds dramatic if you are making a point, but I don't believe many people are intentionally that willing to make poor financial choices.

Recalls are public and anyone with a car should be paying attention to recalls on cars. All it takes is some simple googling and you can sign up for recall notifications on your car. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/subscriptions

I'm sorry for your experience, but what are you hoping to really accomplish with your post? Dealerships are independently owned. You should post on NextDoor in your area or similar if you want to impact your dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you actually take a 25k hit on it? If so I'm not sure why you would do that knowingly. It sure sounds dramatic if you are making a point, but I don't believe many people are intentionally that willing to make poor financial choices.

Recalls are public and anyone with a car should be paying attention to recalls on cars. All it takes is some simple googling and you can sign up for recall notifications on your car.

I'm sorry for your experience, but what are you hoping to really accomplish with your post? Dealerships are independently owned. You should post on NextDoor in your area or similar if you want to impact your dealer.
Sold to CarMax for 27k! No way we'd put our kids back inside that vehicle. $25k hit or an injured or killed family member? To us, that seems like not a choice at all.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I realize that the experience was frightening, but there’s a reason why recalls are issued. They aren’t taken lightly by manufacturers, for whom they can be PR nightmares and cause significant hits to the share price. So for @Ignited_Pacifica to have been letting his family drive around a vehicle with a known safety issue that had a fix and remained unaddressed really is just gross negligence on @Ignited_Pacifica’s part and not FCA. Further, advising people to sell their cars at great financial loss based on his actions is quite irresponsible and not in good faith, IMHO.

·
Registered
690 Posts
And what trim level? And how many miles did you have on it?

·
Registered
504 Posts

We certainly feel for you if you truly had a bad experience due to negligence on the part of the manufacturer. Unfortunately, joining this forum merely hours ago and choosing the username “Ignited_Pacifica” and telling everyone they should get rid of their vehicles doesn’t cut the mustard for most of us here. We can understand your frustration but there are literally thousands of posts in these forums by satisfied owners. We’ve all seen the few posts like yours that are made in the heat of the moment and interestingly no one of those few users has ever followed up with information that says, “here’s the official determination of what happened to my car and how everything was handled by the insurance company and/or the manufacturer.”

We do see posts however from people who have been members for many months or even years who are happy to share their experiences with us in a fair and balanced manner. Many are good experiences and a few not so good. But most of us will not be swayed by a newly joined member with negative comments. If you come back with concrete evidence and stick with us for a few months we may then lend a hearing ear and take what you have to say with more than a grain salt.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah it’s quite funny how people point fingers when things happen . Anything assembled today has the ability to break, explode or detonate . Unfortunate we live in a society that wants everything now and that comes with a price . The ability to say that you took a financial hit is nothing more than a event that you deemed was logical to your needs . You do realize that sitting at a stop sign you can get rear ended or tboned, ones ability to say the sky is falling so it’s Fca’s fault you took a Fiancial hit is just idiotic . From what I handed you should probably move your family to a mountain in some country that has no population and live in a bubble that you build yourself . If everything we did in life was about probabilities and percentages we’d all be living under rocks . If you choose to be that guy then be prepared to be called out , facts are supported by data and opinions are populated by experiences, just saying .

21 - 40 of 62 Posts