2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We just crested 1,000 miles in our Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Per the trip meter, 740 of those miles, or 74%, have been electric. Of the 260 gas hybrid miles, about 60 of those were from the first day and running back and forth from the dealer (dealer didn’t have it charged at all, fairly typical). The bulk of the remaining 200 hybrid miles were from a quick recent mini getaway.

All in all, I believe over 90% of our daily driving is covered under electric power. This is thanks to the 32 miles of range and having our Clipper Creek level 2 charger at home to “fill up” pretty easily whenever needed in under 2 hours.

Loving the experience with the Hybrid so far!

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for too!

Reactions: PMinivan

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One feature I don't like is that the car's report of "electric miles" includes both miles from externally charged batteries and those from hybrid electric, so if you neve plugged in you would still see "electric miles."
I don't really mind that, the gas engine is completely shut off on those instances so it's still technically moving by electric only.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One feature I don't like is that the car's report of "electric miles" includes both miles from externally charged batteries and those from hybrid electric, so if you neve plugged in you would still see "electric miles."
As you should. I suppose they could include another tally for electric-grid miles, but I doubt they'd ever do that in a vehicle like this. Miles driven from regeneration and the ICE charging the battery should be counted as electric miles to give owners a better understanding of the benefits of a hybrid system.

My bigger gripe is the MPG. Take this example... 74% as electric miles but only 33 MPG? Chrysler is underselling the benefit of a PHEV by doing the math this way. They need to show true MPG, meaning only gas used (which would be about 115 MPG in this case), not including the electricity equivalent for EV miles. Then also show a kWh consumed and/or wH/mi rating which are very common numbers when talking EV efficiency.

Showing an owner they are only getting 33 MPG while having only used about 9 gallons of gas over 1,000 miles makes no sense.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The more I see these threads the more I consider getting a Hybrid Pacifica. With the new COVID realities of less highway driving and more short trips, this makes sense to me.
John

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
107 Posts
Ford did this also in the C-Max and others. The break down is good for showing how efficiently one drives but, yeah, all those electric miles came from gas (in hybrid mode).

The more I see these threads the more I consider getting a Hybrid Pacifica. With the new COVID realities of less highway driving and more short trips, this makes sense to me.
John
Ahh, yes, the beauty of dual-fuels. Warning: once you try electric drive, you'll be hooked! If you go for a test drive, please call ahead and ask them to charge it up. My local dealership doesn't even have an L2 charger installed yet so you may need to suggest that any regular 120v receptacle can take the included charge cord but will take overnight for a full charge.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ahh, yes, the beauty of dual-fuels. Warning: once you try electric drive, you'll be hooked! If you go for a test drive, please call ahead and ask them to charge it up. My local dealership doesn't even have an L2 charger installed yet so you may need to suggest that any regular 120v receptacle can take the included charge cord but will take overnight for a full charge.
Good tip! I will have to get a test ride in sometime!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As you should. I suppose they could include another tally for electric-grid miles, but I doubt they'd ever do that in a vehicle like this. Miles driven from regeneration and the ICE charging the battery should be counted as electric miles to give owners a better understanding of the benefits of a hybrid system.

My bigger gripe is the MPG. Take this example... 74% as electric miles but only 33 MPG? Chrysler is underselling the benefit of a PHEV by doing the math this way. They need to show true MPG, meaning only gas used (which would be about 115 MPG in this case), not including the electricity equivalent for EV miles. Then also show a kWh consumed and/or wH/mi rating which are very common numbers when talking EV efficiency.

Showing an owner they are only getting 33 MPG while having only used about 9 gallons of gas over 1,000 miles makes no sense.
There's no one right way to show efficiency or even the MPG equivalency. There are so many metrics now with electric and gas and PHEV, most customers don't really know how to ingest the data. Of course most of those here on the forum and many PHEV enthusiasts would.

At the very least a miles per kWh would be nice to see. The Toyota RAV4 Prime provides this.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think personally people who buy electric trucks , phev , don’t really care about miles per kWh I think they buy them to fit their needs and wants specific to model . If I bought a model X I wouldn’t care about range because I’ve already researched it and understand that there’s so many things that can affect it . I’d just buy it , plug it in at home , then drive it like any vehicle . Electric like ice motors has way to many variables to worry about mileage on a daily basis , just drive it and enjoy it for what it is .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think personally people who buy electric trucks , phev , don’t really care about miles per kWh I think they buy them to fit their needs and wants specific to model . If I bought a model X I wouldn’t care about range because I’ve already researched it and understand that there’s so many things that can affect it . I’d just buy it , plug it in at home , then drive it like any vehicle . Electric like ice motors has way to many variables to worry about mileage on a daily basis , just drive it and enjoy it for what it is .
That's great for you. Yes, you make quite apparent what you don't care for, basically anything the Pacifica doesn't have, you don't want or have an interest for. That's good for you. But there are many people that like the gamification and understanding of how efficiently they're driving.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If you wanted real efficiency you’d bought a all electric vehicle that would negate a motor and moving parts . I love the Pacifica but I also know it’s just a vehicle that gets you from point a to point b , but not using features to get 1 mpg more is kinda senseless

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you wanted real efficiency you’d bought a all electric vehicle that would negate a motor and moving parts . I love the Pacifica but I also know it’s just a vehicle that gets you from point a to point b , but not using features to get 1 mpg more is kinda senseless
We have an Audi e-tron for an all electric vehicle. It's great. It's also not the most efficient EV out there, but it's still interesting to track and watch how electric efficiency changes. We get that it's a personal, very subjective experience. I don't feel the need to shoot down any comment that goes counter to my own experiences with the vehicle.

It's terrific that your Pacifica is your a to b vehicle and that you could give two farts in the wind about what's going on under the hood. Honestly you seem like some sort of disgruntled FCA employee either dealer or maybe even the factory up in Canada that is on a personal mission to quell any sort of product opportunity or owner dissatisfaction point.

I don't know if you just love posting to keep your post counts up high. But most people involved in forums like to have discussions around what they like, what they don't like, what they want to see improved, etc.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I’m not shooting anybody down but that’s like buying a car and keeping track of how much gas costs you on a yearly basis . Heck , you could keep track on anything you buy in life . I’m just saying that keeping track of costs has way too many variables to really pin point it exactly . So posting empg costs is dependant on you and not on somebody else . So my viper gets 10mpg I don’t go on viper forum and talk about gas mileage, the relevance of mileage isn’t really pertinent thread . Real world mileage is drive it like it’s meant to be driven , I see guys driving under speed limit , not using hvac , etc. If people are so consumed about mileage I’d take seats out , all underpad on carpeting , put 15 inch tires on it . Like I said, relevance in helping others vs a couple empg is not even in same ball park .

·
Registered
137 Posts
I’m not shooting anybody down but that’s like buying a car and keeping track of how much gas costs you on a yearly basis . Heck , you could keep track on anything you buy in life . I’m just saying that keeping track of costs has way too many variables to really pin point it exactly . So posting empg costs is dependant on you and not on somebody else . So my viper gets 10mpg I don’t go on viper forum and talk about gas mileage, the relevance of mileage isn’t really pertinent thread . Real world mileage is drive it like it’s meant to be driven , I see guys driving under speed limit , not using hvac , etc. If people are so consumed about mileage I’d take seats out , all underpad on carpeting , put 15 inch tires on it . Like I said, relevance in helping others vs a couple empg is not even in same ball park .
Not sure where the disgruntledness comes from - I drive a Scat Pack and I am very interested in my mileage. It's around 15mpg. If we're interested in things why wouldn't we discuss it with fellow owners? And especially as there are so many variables around electric driving and mileage equivalencies, I personally am trying to derive my own equations to track "true" mpg. Is it necessary or required to enjoy the van? No but I have an interest in data.

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
107 Posts
Vette drivers often like to point to the great mpg's those aerodynamic and light cars are capable of in certain scenarios.

Knowing real mpg under different riding conditions on my motorcycles is critical for determining range.

Discussing fuel economy on a hybrid (sub) forum is a no-brainer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts