2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how the Pachy does during flood season?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was wondering how the Pachy does during flood season?
If this is a serious question, stop driving. Turn in your license. Please. Save your own life and the lives of your passengers.

Never drive into flood water. With anything. Ever. If you can't see the ground, you don't know it's still there.

Flood water washes away roads. Then your car gets very floaty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is a serious question, stop driving. Turn in your license. Please. Save your own life and the lives of your passengers.

Never drive into flood water. With anything. Ever. If you can't see the ground, you don't know it's still there.

Flood water washes away roads. Then your car gets very floaty.
It’s a legitimate question. We get flash floods here. Often times when already out driving. I know not to drive through deep water. I want to know if the batteries will be effected. I need to understand that the purchase that I want to make is the right one for my family.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It’s a legitimate question. We get flash floods here. Often times when already out driving. I know not to drive through deep water. I want to know if the batteries will be effected. I need to understand that the purchase that I want to make is the right one for my family.
My man, no disrespect, but it's not a legitimate question. There is nowhere you need to be so bad that it justifies driving thorugh flood water. Nowhere. Go around. Go somewhere else. Don't drive thorugh flood water. The right choice for your family is to not drive into flood water. That is independent of whatever vehicle you choose.

In general, the batteries and drivetrain components of any vehicle are incredibly robust and waterproofed (resistant) against splashing, puddles, etc. This includes electric vehicles of all kinds. Lithium batteries and water are mortal enemies. The battery should be sealed from water intrusion, but seeing what the reaction of lithium and water looks like, I wouldn't put myself in the position of becoming stalled in water with submerged batteries.

I've been handling insurance claims for 15 years now. I'm incredibly risk averse. Your personal tolerance for washed out roads, cars floating away, people drowning, submerged lithium batteries exploding, or drowning and burning at the same time may be much higher than mine.

I've seen the pictures. I've talked to the families. I listened to a mother cry for nearly 45 minutes after telling me about when she unbuckled the lifeless body of her daughter from the car seat. She really thought it wasn't that deep and she could make it through. She was so close to home, and her daughter was tired.

If you can't see the bottom, you don't know how deep it is.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
My man, no disrespect, but it's not a legitimate question. There is nowhere you need to be so bad that it justifies driving thorugh flood water. Nowhere. Go around. Go somewhere else. Don't drive thorugh flood water. The right choice for your family is to not drive into flood water. That is independent of whatever vehicle you choose.

In general, the batteries and drivetrain components of any vehicle are incredibly robust and waterproofed (resistant) against splashing, puddles, etc. This includes electric vehicles of all kinds. Lithium batteries and water are mortal enemies. The battery should be sealed from water intrusion, but seeing what the reaction of lithium and water looks like, I wouldn't put myself in the position of becoming stalled in water with submerged batteries.

I've been handling insurance claims for 15 years now. I'm incredibly risk averse. Your personal tolerance for washed out roads, cars floating away, people drowning, submerged lithium batteries exploding, or drowning and burning at the same time may be much higher than mine.

I've seen the pictures. I've talked to the families. I listened to a mother cry for nearly 45 minutes after telling me about when she unbuckled the lifeless body of her daughter from the car seat. She really thought it wasn't that deep and she could make it through. She was so close to home, and her daughter was tired.

Absolutely correct. All cars are meant to be driven on roads where you can see the bottom, boats and hovercrafts not so much.
Having said that if you find that you are returning to see your parked Pachy now in deep water more than a foot, then I would not even approach it, forget about attempting to start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is the battery and its connections waterproofed. What has been the experience with other EVs in recent flooding?

·
Registered
108 Posts
EVs can get flood titles just as easily as gassers. Cars with satellite radio can get flood titles just as easily as cars with tape decks. Cars with power windows... You can see where this is going.

Cars and flooding don't mix well, regardless of the particulars and whether or not you are driving them at the time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A bad short of the Lithium battery will probably cause it to catch fire. This would not be good parked next to a house or in a garage. Hence my concern with flooding, park it away from you house if flooding may occur.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thank you. I guess I should clarify flood water. Im talking 6 to 8 inches deep. I had a Suzuki wagon R in Japan and we had a typhoon flood when I flooded my engine in 8 inches of water. Im new to the hybrid scene. I just want to make sure that driving in that deep of water is ok only just finding out that the batteries are in the floor. From the sound of your post and others’, I should be good.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Is the battery and its connections waterproofed. What has been the experience with other EVs in recent flooding?
Didn't Elon musk state in the past that model S could float in water and it's wheels could act as some sort of propellers in an emergency situation? Of course adding, that was not the primary purpose of the car..

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Not sure what you’re trying to accomplish with all of your 2-3 word posts this morning. If you like a post you can simply ‘like’ it without posting a message that says “nice post”.
That isn’t the case for the enhanced mobile version of the site.. The ‘like’ function is absent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
arteitle
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing