2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new 2020 Limited Hybrid owner here. Love the car so far, and learning all the new things I can about it.

One of the things I noticed is when I reverse into the driveway, I hear a scraping sound which I think is coming from these wind dams. Is it OK to scratch these...hopefully they are easy to replace.

My driveway isn't very steep. It only scrapes if I back in to load stuff from the garage. If I pull in front first, it's fine.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Hello, new 2020 Limited Hybrid owner here. Love the car so far, and learning all the new things I can about it.

One of the things I noticed is when I reverse into the driveway, I hear

a scraping sound which I think is coming from these wind dams. Is it OK to scratch these...hopefully they are easy to replace.

My driveway isn't very steep. It only scrapes if I back in to load stuff from the garage. If I pull in front first, it's fine.
I think those are plastic, so they shouldn't get hurt. You might find an old long mop or rake handle and put it in the water groove to keep the wheel from dropping as far.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I scrape mine all the time because of how low they hang, but I don't think it's a big deal if they get scuffed up. They probably don't cost that much to replace if so

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
662 Posts
If all else fails, I'm pretty sure they're easily removable. Judging by some pictures, it looks like each one is only held on with three fasteners. I don't know whether or not removing them would leave any unwanted openings though.

The weird part is that not all models have them. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why some do and some don't have them. I'm thankful that ours doesn't have them because I think we'd have the same problem with them rubbing at the end of our driveway.

Reactions: allthatjazz

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The weird part is that not all models have them. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why some do and some don't have them. I'm thankful that ours doesn't have them because I think we'd have the same problem with them rubbing at the end of our driveway.
I guess now I'm going to be in the habit of looking up each Pacifica I see on the street now :) I suppose the trade-off in better aerodynamics is fair for scraping once in a while.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
662 Posts
I guess now I'm going to be in the habit of looking up each Pacifica I see on the street now :) I suppose the trade-off in better aerodynamics is fair for scraping once in a while.
The only correlation I've noticed is that they seem to be most prominent on models with 17 inch wheels. At first I thought only vans with 17 inch wheels had them, but I've seen a couple with 18 inch wheels that also had them. I've never seen them on a van with 20 inch wheels. I'm not saying no van with 20 inch wheels has them. I'm just saying if they exist, I haven't seen one yet.

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited with Safety Sphere option.
40 Posts
My 2021 Pachy Limited with 18's has them and they scrape or hit the end of the kerb when reversing out of the driveway making disconcerting sounds.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
469 Posts
Just a thought. When you back out of the driveway you might be turning the vehicle as you are crossing the gutter and moving back into the roadway, but when you back into the driveway you might be backing straight in across the gutter. Maybe when backing in you might try going in at the same angle you back out.

Reactions: lutorm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a thought. When you back out of the driveway you might be turning the vehicle as you are crossing the gutter and moving back into the roadway, but when you back into the driveway you might be backing straight in across the gutter. Maybe when backing in you might try going in at the same angle you back out.
Yes, it does not scrape all the time, need to figure out what I am doing right when it does not scrape/thud, considering inflating tires to 40 as it seems to happen 100% of the time when the tires were at 35 with the cold spell in Houston

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
202 Posts
This was an even more significant issue with my gen 1 volt; so bad I soon removed it (the entire width of the front) within the first couple of weeks of ownership like many others did. This did reduce efficiency as shown by many other owners but I really didn't see a significant enough difference to be concerned.

If I back out at angle in a turning action so that one wheel at a time goes through the low point/curb zone, the Pachy still scrapes but it's a more tolerable level. I'll leave 'em and let them eventually "wear out".

This issue suggests I might have a hard time getting the pachy up even my special low-rise ramps for oil changes/service because the dams hit the ramps and push the ramps forward before the tire can roll onto the ramp and hold them in place. PITA

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
469 Posts
This issue suggests I might have a hard time getting the pachy up even my special low-rise ramps for oil changes/service because the dams hit the ramps and push the ramps forward before the tire can roll onto the ramp and hold them in place. PITA
+1 here. I have standard ramps and they don't work, but your low-rise ramps might.

Reactions: fotomoto

·
Registered
40 Posts
This was an even more significant issue with my gen 1 volt; so bad I soon removed it (the entire width of the front) within the first couple of weeks of ownership like many others did. This did reduce efficiency as shown by many other owners but I really didn't see a significant enough difference to be concerned.

If I back out at angle in a turning action so that one wheel at a time goes through the low point/curb zone, the Pachy still scrapes but it's a more tolerable level. I'll leave 'em and let them eventually "wear out".

I have a 2012 volt that does this as well but I thought the 5 inch clearance of the Pachy would be better than the 3.1 inch of the Gen 1 Volt. It seems like the air dams hang below the 5 inch mark..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Didn't know front wheels had wind dams. I have seen Mudd dams for rears

·
Registered
2020 Gas Granite AWD Launch Edition
186 Posts
My 2020 AWD Launch Edition with 18" wheels - has these as well.

Interesting, I haven't looked under the new car much, only having it for a few months, and being winter. But now checking it out - interesting the bendy plastic-y thing, doesn't go all the way across... like I'm used to seeing on many cars for years.
There are just 2, short, "air dams" / "rubber lips"...
*These just seem to be for blocking, or directing the wind at hwy speeds away from the opening, to the inside the wheels... I mean, the space where the brakes and suspension components are!
*Or... are these to "keep debris from hitting those components" ???

Anyway, there are also slits in them, so they can bend more easily when we hit stuff (bend, not break).

So my question is - Are these for improving mpg... or for reducing damage to brakes and suspension parts ??

If they're for increasing mpg, I doubt they'd make any difference at all (except maybe in a wind tunnel for several hours). And if they hit my driveway every time, I'd cut em off.
But if they're for increasing the life and performance of brakes and front suspension... I'd leave em on, and deal with the noise :)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Those are really there to protect the brake lines from big objects . The air still has ability to flow thru the hole but aids as a kind of defector for lines ( brakes , abs ) . These were also on my grand Cherokee srt8 but were a lot wider .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue with rub only backing out of my drive. (17”, not hybrid) I wonder what the air dam is for. the air dam could be making high speed downforce, deflecting air toward brakes for cooling, toward air filter, or deflect air/water away from tire tread to improve traction.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring AWD Velvet Red with "S" package
49 Posts
They are for highway MPGs. They get the air around the tires better and are used in conjunction with the belly pan and grille shutters.
They wouldn't be there is there wasn't a valid reason for them.

FYI - Try approaching the driveway at an angle from the road, instead of straight on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Those are really there to protect the brake lines from big objects . The air still has ability to flow thru the hole but aids as a kind of defector for lines ( brakes , abs ) . These were also on my grand Cherokee srt8 but were a lot wider .
Yeah right. A flexible piece of rubber is going to protect the brake lines from big objects? No, not at all what it's for. Purely for aero purposes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts