2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

I had a small chip in the windshield for the last several months. Didn’t think much about it. With the last week’s winter storm I noticed that it had created a huge crack as seen. Today it grew a little more. Is there anything that can be done to salvage it or I have call the insurance for a glass replacement?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't forget that the windshield has a Chrysler logo on it, which can't be legally copied on the aftermarket glass. You can insist on the OEM replacement.
Cool. So how do you guys do it? Do you call the insurance first or call glass guy first or go to dealership. I never had this issue before. Just curious. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
970 Posts
I would call your insurance agent. I have $0 deductible on my glass coverage. In the past I used J.N. Phillips but it looks like Safelite bought them out.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Call your insurance agent.

Be warned, with the request for OEM glass, it may not go through as a glass claim. On my glass policy they have to use an aftermarket windshield. My agent has been able to get OEM Windshields covered but hes had to submit them as comprehensive claims.

Reactions: erickjl and Bond007

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the windshield on my 2018 Limited replaced twice within 5 weeks. The first time it was cracked by the dealership during a readjustment of the module cover at the windshield following a warranty repair. They paid for the replacement. Then the windshield likely was hit by a basketball. I say likely because a basketball was lying close to the vehicle. My auto insurance’s comprehensive coverage paid for the replacement (approximately $1200), of which I paid a $50 deductible. Both times the windshield was the Mopar part (pentastar logo).
If your vehicle has LaneSense, RainSense, Forward Collision Warning, etc., you will need to have the sensors located in the windshield module recalibrated.
And, with my insurance company I got a new pair of windshield wiper blades installed free. This is part of their policy because of the possibility of glass fragments from the crack in the windshield.
As was mentioned earlier, contact your insurance company first.

·
Registered
2022 PacHy Ltd
640 Posts
When it was a chip it was reparable now, it's a new windshield. Depending on your options you may need the sensors recalibrated.
Had mine done and NO recalibration needed. All worked as before.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Plant Sky Motor vehicle Tree Road surface

This is the state of crack now. It seems to have grown at least 6-8 inches more.
I used the Geico app (as most insurances have these days) and it has an option for glass, when you click on it, you get the two options for either an original glass with Chrysler logo with (tint, sun shield, lane sense, rain-sense, etc ) or a third party one (which seems to have one less feature). Of course I selected the right one. My deductible is $500. The message says it as approved through safelite and apparently they’ll do all necessary calibrations. I’ll see when they show up next week, if I’ll have any unpleasant surprises. :D. Thanks all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My experience with Safelite was quite the opposite of VelvetRedAWD. On the third scheduled visit (while we were on vacation) they got it right. During the first attempt they were “unable to locate our van” even though they had my cellphone number. On the second attempt they “discovered that the replacement windshield was cracked” prior to their arrival at my location. And, they did not call me to tell me that fact. I had to call them several times before I even got them to answer my multiple voicemails. Then they said that they “were about to call me to tell me that the replacement windshield was cracked and that a new replacement was not going to be delivered and installed at our location for three days”. I politely told them that I expected delivery and installation the next morning. So the next morning the third technician arrived with the replacement windshield and did a very good job. Safelite let’s you know who is coming to perform the work so that is how I knew that this was the third technician.
An interesting thing that I discovered during the replacement procedure was that someone failed to install the nuts on two of the four threaded posts of which appeared to me to be the attachment points between the front of the dashboard and the firewall underneath the cowling. The two unattached nuts were lying next to the posts just like someone forgot to complete their job. Maybe it was lunch time or quitting time. This made me rethink about how the windshield got cracked the second time. Was it the basketball or perhaps the 1000 miles of vibration we had just experienced 30 hours prior to arrival at our vacation destination.
Good luck with your repair!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yeah I have had and heard many bad stories about Safelite. I always require that it be done elsewhere. I've had it done through dealer's body shops with a lot of success.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I never use Safelite because a couple years back they started using their own glass to save money and can be substandard. Maybe if they were installing PPG or Pilkington or other OEM level glass it would be okay. Note, some glass has a slight btint that can be different depending on exterior paint color and if they use the wrong glass it can look off.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never use Safelite because a couple years back they started using their own glass to save money and can be substandard. Maybe if they were installing PPG or Pilkington or other OEM level glass it would be okay. Note, some glass has a slight btint that can be different depending on exterior paint color and if they use the wrong glass it can look off.
But they can’t use their own glass with a Chrysler logo on it. Can they? That would be a copyright violation, I suppose. Now you really got me nervous. I should be looking like a hawk when the safelite guy arrives. LOL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
But they can’t use their own glass with a Chrysler logo on it. Can they? That would be a copyright violation, I suppose. Now you really got me nervous. I should be looking like a hawk when the safelite guy arrives. LOL.
You should be ok of they are using OEM Chrysler glass. Ask them for the part number they are using before they come by and you can double check fitment by plugging the number into the Mopar parts website.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a small chip in the windshield for the last several months. Didn’t think much about it.
Many years ago I read that putting clear nail polish on a windshield chip would keep it from spreading into a crack. It's been 10+ years since it was chipped and it's held. I imagine it may not work on all chips and conditions, but it's worth a try. Nail polish is cheap. I'll add the chip is not in the drivers sightline. Just passing on my experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had the windshield replaced with OEM branded windshield . Had forward collision warning ( FCW) so that required recalibration . Had it done a Safelite —- total with tax was $1075.00 US — 2021 Pacifica Limited.The OEM windshield was cheaper than the Safelite windshield .

·
Registered
315 Posts
View attachment 48807

I had a small chip in the windshield for the last several months. Didn’t think much about it. With the last week’s winter storm I noticed that it had created a huge crack as seen. Today it grew a little more. Is there anything that can be done to salvage it or I have call the insurance for a glass replacement?
Take this opportunity to drive around without it for a little while even the freeway it's very refreshing and exhilarating while everyone stares, makes for a good story to tell the grandkids 😁

Reactions: Bond007
1 - 20 of 34 Posts