2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Newby here and having a problem with my new Pacifica already. Tried to fill fuel tank on two different occasions and will only bring fuel gauge to 3/4. Does anyone here have any advice on this subject.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. Newby here and having a problem with my new Pacifica already. Tried to fill fuel tank on two different occasions and will only bring fuel gauge to 3/4. Does anyone here have any advice on this subject.
I just bought a 2017 Pacifica and went to fuel it for the first time and had issues as well. the first time the gas pump kept turning off and after 5 min. trying to fill it I ended up with 2 gal. in my tank. My husband tried it at another gas station and got another 9.5 gal and it kept wanting to shut off. Right not the tank registers 3/4. According to the mileage I've gone, 401 miles, figuring 22 MPG, I have used 18.23 gals. So I should have been able to add 17 gals, not the 11.5 gals we did add. Does anyone have a solution or any of you had this issue that your dealer corrected?

Frustrated at 10 days of ownership.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I read that you have to hold the nozzle at a angle.. not sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried holding the nozzle at every angle and it did not help. (I own a gas Pacifica.) We bought this car for a road trip to all the National Parks and this is not acceptable. Calling our dealer today.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I tried holding the nozzle at every angle and it did not help. (I own a gas Pacifica.) We bought this car for a road trip to all the National Parks and this is not acceptable. Calling our dealer today.
In the fuel neck, there's a second flapper deeper down behind the exposed metallic looking one you see when you open the fuel door. It's black and much harder to see, particularly in sunlight but about as far down as most other cars. You have to get the fuel nozzle fully inserted (through both flappers, by feel) and then turn it about 45 degrees. It should work full-on after that.

I speak from the school of half-vast experience, and wet fender, and wet rim.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Pacifica and went to fuel it for the first time and had issues as well. the first time the gas pump kept turning off and after 5 min. trying to fill it I ended up with 2 gal. in my tank. My husband tried it at another gas station and got another 9.5 gal and it kept wanting to shut off. Right not the tank registers 3/4. According to the mileage I've gone, 401 miles, figuring 22 MPG, I have used 18.23 gals. So I should have been able to add 17 gals, not the 11.5 gals we did add. Does anyone have a solution or any of you had this issue that your dealer corrected?

Frustrated at 10 days of ownership.
Interesting that the OP @rervf23 has not responded back to questions or comments on their own thread...

Like mentioned, because of the capless design the second flap can be a bit tricky. I have had mixed results depending on the gas station. I have found that the nozzle style at our area BPs work great, but some other stations seem to have a slightly different design that does not seem 100% compatible. I suggest making sure the nozzle is inserted as far as it possibly can go. If it continues to shut off, try backing down the pump speed rather than pulling the trigger full throttle. Also as suggested, give the nozzle a twist to the left or right 45 degrees to change the "aim" a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having same problem. Gas station pumps just keep shutting off. I found that if you squeeze really slow you might get the pump to stay on at the first ratchet only (never full go). Takes twice as long, and it sucks, but it works.

Watch out if you try to use a funnel or gas can, it will clamp onto the spout and not let go. You will need an old screwdriver or metal shiv to remove the spout. The capless filler flapper spring is way, way too tight and needs a rounded edge, or they could have just used an old fashioned cap.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a 2018 and have had no problems.
Is this an issue that was for 2017s only?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Watch out if you try to use a funnel or gas can, it will clamp onto the spout and not let go. You will need an old screwdriver or metal shiv to remove the spout. The capless filler flapper spring is way, way too tight and needs a rounded edge, or they could have just used an old fashioned cap.
There is a special funnel supplied with the van that is used to fill the tank from a gas can. The funnel easily opens the flap and is easy to remove. It does not hang up on the flapper. The flapper has to make a tight seal (air tight) so reducing the spring force or rounding the edges may compromise its function.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found on a couple times that with certain pumps it can shut off the pump but when I go to another pump if reinsertion does not work the other pump works, so it is not my car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is hilarious. I just started a new post with this exact problem. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 Pacifica Limited with only 45k miles and it is having the exact same issue.

was there ever a formal resolution for this issue from Chrysler?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found that if I turn the pump handle upside down, I have no problems fueling at all...some of the pumps will stay up some you have to hold in place, but you can at least pump at full speed and not have to sit there forever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 Pacifica Limited with only 45k miles and it is having the exact same issue.

was there ever a formal resolution for this issue from Chrysler?
I have found that if I turn the pump handle upside down, I have no problems fueling at all...some of the pumps will stay up some you have to hold in place, but you can at least pump at full speed and not have to sit there forever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts