1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Probably not, but it would depend on how much more it cost and how much worse gas mileage it got. Living in California, after a year my PacHy has yet to see snow, but if it were free, sure, why not.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Living in MN, snow is a near constant. We've now got 4 months when it rarely happens...

I've had a FWD Chrysler minivan for a decade. No real problems, other than getting up the slope of my driveway when there's fresh snow. My wife has AWD, and it does a bit better. Then again, she's kinda needs that as she isn't great at throttle management on snow.

I'm assuming this is just a for-fun discussion, because there's no room for any sort of AWD system in the current hybrid.

·
Registered
190 Posts
yes. I'm in the snow belt and value the surefootedness that comes w/AWD, especially full time AWD. Whether there's a gravel spot, if it's wet out, muddy, snow, etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
100 Posts
Makes no difference to me. I've had and currently own bot 2 and 4 wheel drive. In the Boston area and we do get significant snow. However, rear drive only is not good. I've never been stuck even with rear drive only.
There is evidence that 4-wheel drive makes drivers overconfident and they drive too fast and get in trouble since there is no stopping improvement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Makes no difference to me. I've had and currently own bot 2 and 4 wheel drive. In the Boston area and we do get significant snow. However, rear drive only is not good. I've never been stuck even with rear drive only.
There is evidence that 4-wheel drive makes drivers overconfident and they drive too fast and get in trouble since there is no stopping improvement.
No substitute for a set of winter tires. Totally agree that AWD gives a false sense of security to those not experienced in wintry conditions. In winter I’d always go with AWD and winter tires, if available. But I’d rather have winter tires and FWD than AWD and all season tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely. I live in the northeast, but don't really do a whole lot of driving.
AWD and some blizzaks, you'll be unstoppable

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
No. I had an AWD Sienna and didn't have much use for it. Once I decided to drive in a heavy snowfall. I was impressed by the van performance, but ultimately I only drove to the bottom of a nearby hill, where less capable cars clogged the road and I had to turn around. The AWD system added costs, complexity, and reduced fuel economy. And AWD doesn't change the stopping abilities, which is just as important as moving. I live in a relatively moderate climate, otherwise I would get a set of winter tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts