2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long is the gas engine supposed to run when it kicks in? Mine is less then a minute each time. At first, I thought it was an around time thing, but today I was on the interstate, and it is the same. Constantly swapping back and forth. Is that right?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think k it has to do with speed , charge , fuel refresh , temperature , way too many variables to pin down . I always say just charge it and drive it normally and let it do it’s thing .

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seldom go over the electric miles, and then it is usually just a few miles. Today it was about 8 miles on the interstate, After about 3 miles in town after the battery was down and it just kept going on and off every 30 seconds or so. On cruise, or the pedal it was the same, never went ove a minute on gas.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
When the engine turn on for the first time it runs for 2-3 minutes to warm up. Afterwards it turns on as needed, only when you need power to the wheels.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Remember also that there is a fuel pump, injectors , etc . And without any fuel movement things become clogged , gaskets harden and fuel sensing units have debris settled in then

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the engine turn on for the first time it runs for 2-3 minutes to warm up. Afterwards it turns on as needed, only when you need power to the wheels.
Even the first time, mine runs for less then a minute.

Remember also that there is a fuel pump, injectors , etc . And without any fuel movement things become clogged , gaskets harden and fuel sensing units have debris settled in then
I'm not questioning that. Mine after the battery is down, the engine only runs 30 to 45 seconds, then shuts off, for about 30 to 45 seconds. Even on the highway with the cruise, it operates the same. Does not seem right to me, thats why I am asking what others expierience is.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what I am getting from you, is that it is normal to stop/ start while cruising down the highway, And I should shut up.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So what I am getting from you, is that it is normal to stop/ start while cruising down the highway, And I should shut up.
That does seem odd, although I haven't driven a Pachy enough to know this. At highway speeds, the engine should probably be running all the time after the battery is depleted.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
216 Posts
Are you changing speeds rapidly, accelerating to pass cars maybe? That could bring up the ICE.

No need to keep quiet. The only way to learn is to ask questions.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Constant speed on the interstate with the cruise control on. Until yestr=erday, most of the times were in town, so I could possibly understand. Just trying to see what others owners have to say, before I try to deal with the dealer service department.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Constant speed on the interstate with the cruise control on. Until yestr=erday, most of the times were in town, so I could possibly understand. Just trying to see what others owners have to say, before I try to deal with the dealer service department.
Took 2 175 mile drives today, put the center display on "oil pressure" and watched the engine start and stop repeatedly, at first it was quite disturbing to be running 75 mph with no oil pressure........LOL
Every time the engine starts the first oil pump puts out 70 to 80 pounds of pressure then drops to 30 after the second takes over. I don't know if it is two pumps or one two stage pump, it's been over a year since I watched the Weber State video where all that was explained by professor John Kelly. It's on a Youtube channel.
Yes, it is normal for a hybrid power train to cycle like that, the special oil pump setup prevents damaging wear and tear on the engine.

Reactions: panoguy

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Voltdriver, At least I know I am not the only one. The Engineer in me just says it is not right. Watching the engine and oil temp, they are not getting warm until the third start cycle or so. That video is what got me looking at a hybrid Pac. John kelly is a great teacher. I believe it is two oil pumps, one for prelube like you are thinking, then the engines pump takes over.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
That video is about the transmission, the dashboard gauge shows the engine oil pressure. Totally different. @Copac, to clarify, is your engine running when the battery is discharged or while running in the electric mode?

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The engine does not come on until after the battery shows <1%. Then it only runs for less then a minute at a time. Mine only has around 650 miles, except for once when I was heavy on the throttle taking off from a stop, the engine has never come on before the gauge shows less then 1%.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That video is about the transmission
Good catch, I vaguely remembered the two pumps in the transmission and conflated them with the engine oil pumps....

·
Registered
574 Posts
The engine does not come on until after the battery shows <1%. Then it only runs for less then a minute at a time. Mine only has around 650 miles, except for once when I was heavy on the throttle taking off from a stop, the engine has never come on before the gauge shows less then 1%.
Once my 2018 PacHy runs out of battery the ICE will run pretty much constantly on the highway when cruising. It will shut off if I coast or go down a hill. I’d be a little concerned if it only comes on for a minute at a time like you’re describing. That doesn’t sound right to me for cruising on the highway. What kind of gas mileage do you get on the highway?

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
This is the usual behavior. When the engine turns on for the first time it should run until the coolant temperature reaches 120F or so (can't remember the exact number.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts