2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hard time getting gas into the tank today when I went for the first gas fill before our first long trip tomorrow. Gauge was just below 7/8 and I figured it would take about 2gal. Anyway the pump kept clicking off. I had to pull out the nozzle and put it in 1/2 way and pump manually on slow as it would just click off if I tried full speed on the pump. I ended up getting 1.6 gallons in after fiddling with it a while and the gauge registers almost full.

Anyone else have trouble filling with gas and are there any tricks to fill with gas without it clicking off repeatedly before it is full and having to go realllllly slow? This was very annoying.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I had a hard time getting gas into the tank today when I went for the first gas fill before our first long trip tomorrow. Gauge was just below 7/8 and I figured it would take about 2gal. Anyway the pump kept clicking off. I had to pull out the nozzle and put it in 1/2 way and pump manually on slow as it would just click off if I tried full speed on the pump. I ended up getting 1.6 gallons in after fiddling with it a while and the gauge registers almost full.

Anyone else have trouble filling with gas and are there any tricks to fill with gas without it clicking off repeatedly before it is full and having to go realllllly slow? This was very annoying.
I have had the same issue. The pump clicks off pretty early. I know the general rule is to not add much more gas once the pump clicks off. If you do that with the Pacifica you don't get the tank full you get about 7/8's full. If I play with the pump I can get another 1.5 to 2 gallons in it. I wonder if the gas Pacificas have the same issue. Sounds to me that the tank doesn't vent fast enough.

·
Registered
529 Posts

I had this exact problem. I was down to about half tank and it was murder trying to fill it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have not tried it but my dealer rode with me to the gas station across the dealership to fill up my tank before he sent me off... he didnt seem to have a problem. On first click, it was done. And my gas gauge needle is a little past the F line.
Used only 5/16 gas on a 1000km total drive. Probably another 3 weeks before I visit a gas station.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hmm. Nobody's confessed to filling up their Gucci's yet. I too got the fender & tire wet on the first try.

One of my complications was getting it past the inner flap which is black plastic, hard to see & about 4 inches down. I was able to fill at about 3/4 of full throttle which isn't too bad after I figured that out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Only filled my gas model twice so far and didn't have any issues. I always set it on the slow fill setting and when it clicks off I can't get it to take much more.

But I have had this problem with various pumps on my Town & Country and I think it's definitely a pump issue not a car issue.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I haven't experienced this even once with the Pacifica but am very familiar with it on my Hyundai.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Only filled my gas model twice so far and didn't have any issues. I always set it on the slow fill setting and when it clicks off I can't get it to take much more.

But I have had this problem with various pumps on my Town & Country and I think it's definitely a pump issue not a car issue.
On my old 2004 T&C Limited AWD when the pump clicked off it was full and I mean full, if you could get another $.50 worth in to even out the dollar amount that was about it. On the Pacifica Hybrid, as I stated in an earlier post, I can get another 1.5 to 2 gallons into it if I fiddle with the gas pump nozzle, if I don't the tank is about 7/8 full. Same gas station, filler set on slowest setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you hold the pump handle in the three o'clock position instead of the normal six o'clock position that most people hold the pump handle when they are attempting to fill the tank, then you will be able to add gas at the normal pump rate, and the pump will not shut off until the tank is almost full. Whenever I hold the pump handle in the six o'clock position, the pump repeatedly clicks off, even if running at a slow speed.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you hold the pump handle in the three o'clock position instead of the normal six o'clock position that most people hold the pump handle when they are attempting to fill the tank, then you will be able to add gas at the normal pump rate, and the pump will not shut off until the tank is almost full. Whenever I hold the pump handle in the six o'clock position, the pump repeatedly clicks off, even if running at a slow speed.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had this exact same issue. I don't think it's the pump - if I fill my Camry hybrid at the exact same pump, I don't have the problem. I think it has something to do with the "capless" tank on the PacHy. It seems like the pump nozzle has to be just the right distance into the tank - if it's too far in, it constantly clicks off, even if the tank is empty. Maybe the 3 o'clock method gets the nozzle just the right distance in . . . I'll have to try that. The good news is, I haven't had to fill up for quite a while . . .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unfortunately, my wife had this issue when she filled her PacHy for the first time. She could get $4 in, then it would click off. Would do the fill $4 at a time. I was not with her. The unfortunate part was that when I got home and filled it up the rest of the way it didn't click off until full. I noticed that, as mentioned earlier, if the nozzle was all the way in, it changes the angle of the handle so might put the sensor for the gas foam shut off in position to get hit by backsplash from something in the fill tube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did not have the problem the first I fuelled the car. Now I had the Pacifica for 4 months, I notice this problem on the same pump. I am concerned that it might be a clogged fuel filler line. I am not using the gas engine much most of the time I am on electric. Not using the gas engine much might create build-up in the line.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Pacifica GAS model I have is the first van I had that has no gas cap. First time I tried to fill up the tank, it was a chore. Now I got it without any issues. The way I do it, is stick the nozzle in all the way. then pull it out about 3inches. Gas fills up normally without stopping. Once you get used to the distance, I use the spring wire on the nozzle as a indicator on how far to put in the nozzle. Like 1-2 inches on the spring and then start pumping. it tends to work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not all pumps are equal. Some are older and make it harder to refill but they all work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have found the 3 o'clock positions solves the problem with mine as well. Not always an issue but more often than not. Not fully inserted as mentioned has helped as well but not as often as the 3 o'clock. Fortunately, don't have to visit the gas station very often (-:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Could it be Canadian vs US pumps? I've had no problems filling up my gas Pacifica loaner.

My only issue is the fact that I have to fill it up almost every week compared to my PacHy. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts