2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Now up over 21 mpg, all city driving, some five mile spurts on the freeway, but 90% on city streets with stop and go traffic, construction zones and lots of traffic lights.

·
Registered
85 Posts
With about 3000 miles, I'm consistently around 21 mpg around town also. Haven't had it on a road trip yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Perhaps more than most cars, the Pacifica seems to be a very sensitive throttle. My wife is more aggressive with gas to the floor acceleration and routinely gets 3-4 mpg less than I do. It seems to like 2,500 rpms or less accelerating to let it work up through all 9 gears efficiently. I also notice that the cruise control on the highway will typically add 2-3 mpgs there.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I bet the 2018 model will add automatic stop/start to bump the mileage rating up a bit. I've seen a couple articles mention that it will be added to the 2017 "mid cycle", but if that were the case, I would think we'd see it listed as "late availability" like several other things were. I think it's more likely they're just doing the same thing they did with the Jeep Cherokee, and waiting until the 2nd model year to add it.
Yes, the 2018 is going to have the start stop feature....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, the 2018 is going to have the start stop feature....
Had this on our Jeep Cherokee and found it a bit unsettling knowing that the engine is off while you wait for the light to change, it just seems unnatural. I remember the slight hesitation before the vehicle moved once you hit the accelerator. There was a button to disable that feature, but had to push it each time you started out. It would be OK if you could permanently disable it through the control panel, to me it just wasn't worth the tiny savings in gas mileage considering the extra cost of taking anti-anxiety pills :rolleyes: . You need something to calm you down since you are frequently stressed out wondering if the vehicle was actually going to restart before someone slammed into your rear. :eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fairly big changes, actually

Yes and no.

The engine is tweaked and the tranny is the same 9 speed as the one in the Cherokees, but are more refined and polished off. Sounds like FCA has succeeded in refining this tranny. Probably a combo of the engine and tranny revised that fixed the 9 speed.
It's more than tweaked; compression ratio went up to 11.3, low tension piston rings used, changes to VVT that resulted in 15% more midrange torque. Probably others too that I don't know about. Enough changes that to me it qualifies as a new engine, which is one reason I'm waiting a year or two to get out of my '13 GC and into a Pacifica. The other reason is that I want to see what kind of experience folks have with the 9 spd auto. The 6 spd in my GC first came out around 2007, and it has been a total PITA for me and many others.

·
Registered
73 Posts
another consideration

Had this on our Jeep Cherokee and found it a bit unsettling knowing that the engine is off while you wait for the light to change, it just seems unnatural. I remember the slight hesitation before the vehicle moved once you hit the accelerator. There was a button to disable that feature, but had to push it each time you started out. It would be OK if you could permanently disable it through the control panel, to me it just wasn't worth the tiny savings in gas mileage considering the extra cost of taking anti-anxiety pills :rolleyes: . You need something to calm you down since you are frequently stressed out wondering if the vehicle was actually going to restart before someone slammed into your rear. :eek:
I wonder how much one would appreciate the slight increase in MPG when they have to replace the overused starter for several hundred bucks!! Yes, I'm sure it will be an HD unit compared to a normal system, but even so, if it can be disabled, that's the way I'd drive it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got about 2500 miles on van and I notice mine has went up to 21.7 in town could be do to the aircondioner not running but also my other cars also dropped in cooler weather do to longer warmup time.

·
Registered
999 Posts
From the fleet version of the Pacifica which I believe is the Touring L with 7500 miles on it.

This picture is from my near 60 minute trip on all hwy averaging 70-75mph. Elevation change was 500 feet. apx. Only one occupant with 3 car seats. Gas mileage for this segment was 29.1 mpg.

My combined mpg is with 90% city driving and 10% hwy driving. That got me 19 mpg... that was before the hwy trip. After the hwy trip (above) I got 23mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wonder how much one would appreciate the slight increase in MPG when they have to replace the overused starter for several hundred bucks!! Yes, I'm sure it will be an HD unit compared to a normal system, but even so, if it can be disabled, that's the way I'd drive it.
Yeah, I thought about the wear and tear on the starter too and the out-of-pocket replacement costs, but the feds don't care about that, what they're looking for is how Chrysler increased the gas mileage by a few tenths.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Down and back from Rockford IL to Normal IL, virtually no wind and plenty of slow traffic to line up with and....37mpg over 260 miles. Now....I'm not sure about this but it looks like the computer read 2.5mpg higher than my hand calculated mpg so take that into account. But still....this thing is amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
rental, no one with me, 50 minute hwy trip average 71mph (cruise control set) 29.1mpg (first picture)

22mph overall average after near 400 mile trip 90% city driving (second picture)

19 hauling kids around town going under 20 mph average.

I do not do the fuel calculation at the pump because I have a lot of idle time waiting for kids' bus to drop them off.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
You guys seem to be getting great mileage...I must be doing something wrong, been averaging 14.7 mpg 95% city driving...
I'm right there with you. Driving 95% city (Washington DC burbs) and getting somewhere in the 14's. Some days i get buyers remorse for not waiting on the PHEV....i could've made my daily commute using just battery....

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
I've been getting around 18mpg on average over about 800 miles of mostly around town driving.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was getting around 18 for the first 1000 miles or so, but it's jumped up to 21 ever since. I've got 4500 miles, all of it city driving, some of it on local freeways, but very little...

·
Registered
28 Posts
How are you getting these mileages??? We just did a 2000 mile road trip and the best tank we got was 25mpg, all highway, using ACC almost the entire way. This is worse than the SUV I traded in for this. In town I only get like 15mpg. I keep it on the mpg screen so I know if I'm pushing it, and I rarely do. I'm not happy at all with the efficiency.

·
Registered
742 Posts
How are you getting these mileages??? We just did a 2000 mile road trip and the best tank we got was 25mpg, all highway, using ACC almost the entire way. This is worse than the SUV I traded in for this. In town I only get like 15mpg. I keep it on the mpg screen so I know if I'm pushing it, and I rarely do. I'm not happy at all with the efficiency.
Kinda what I wanted to know.....mine is 19 average 50/50 city/hwy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The route has a lot to do with it, something slow without many stops or hills is ideal. 45mph construction zones on interstate highways are great places to get the mpg's up. You can't get in the 30's just anywhere and if you live in a hill place or a lot of "accelerating to 60 then coming to a stop sign" kinda roads it'll be pretty tough. Country back roads can be super good too here in the flat midwest. If there's nobody behind you can coast up to stops from way back too. Oh yeah and rail the corners....I like that part :)

41 - 60 of 102 Posts