2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Touring-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Our 2022 Pacifica Touring L sat at Detroit metropolitan airport from last Sunday till today. It had a nearly full tank of gas when it left for at the airport. Today it had no gas. Looks to me like it's time for a locking gas cap. is there any other strange possibility I wouldn't have heard of?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Try parking at US-Park at DTW, never had an issue. downside it adds 30min with the shuttle to the parking lot. Or if you are looking for a super chill airport FNT is pretty great, hard to find flights out of there.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Interesting as the fuel tank has a tethered neck with a close out for system to keep it pressurized . And the new tank necks have a stoppage so you can’t technically siphon it . Did you look at the cap release on the rear quarter to see if somebody preyed it open ?

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Your lucky if all they did was siphon the tank. The latest trend is for gas thieves is to punch a hole in the tank.
It would not surprise me if they have a hole punched in the tank. Thieves are lazy and want the easiest steal possible siphoning is too much work.

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Touring-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now, a point of curiosity: the gas tank was so empty that the engine would not start at all. It would turn over and try to start, but did not actually catch. Is that consistent with a siphoning incident? Can you siphon a tank that dry?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Now, a point of curiosity: the gas tank was so empty that the engine would not start at all. It would turn over and try to start, but did not actually catch. Is that consistent with a siphoning incident? Can you siphon a tank that dry?
No, not with the anti siphoning stuff they have added in. I would assume that you have a hole punched in the tank. If you can crawl a little ways under the car just in front of the back wheels you will probably be able to smell the gas.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,106 Posts
Yes, the engine will turn over but will not start without gas. Traditional syphoning requires putting a hose down the filler. The hose would need to reach the bottom of the tank to drain it dry.
Punching a hole in the bottom of the tank is guaranteed to drain the tank dry. It will also never hold gas until the tank is replaced.

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Touring-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the tank has held a full load of gas for over 24 hours now. No gas puddles on the floor of the garage, no problem filling up near the airport and driving about an hour to get home, The tank reads full as I write.

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Touring-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, I have a Tesla that is my daily. It is possible but there is an auto shut off that should stop you from idling for more than like an hour.
I'd like to know more about that. I can find stuff about the function that shuts off the engine at a stoplight, but I can't find anything about a function that shuts the engine off after extended idling. Can you point me to something?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could my wife have accidentally left the car running while she traveled on the airline? She drives a Tesla which auto shuts off. I wasn't there on this trip.
My wife once left our gas Pacifica running all day when she was at Busch Gardens. It was in gear so as soon as she opened the door the parking brake set and she didnt realize it was running until she came back to the vehicle and it was still running.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd like to know more about that. I can find stuff about the function that shuts off the engine at a stoplight, but I can't find anything about a function that shuts the engine off after extended idling. Can you point me to something?
From what I can find it has an anti idling feature that will shut off after an hour if the key fob is present but ironically it sounds like the feature doesn’t work if the key fob isn’t in the vehicle. (Sounds backwards, doesn’t it?). So, as a daily Tesla driver who now forgets to turn off every other vehicle when I park it and on behalf of your wife I’d like to apologize for burning an entire tank of gas while parked idling at the airport.

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Touring-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I can find it has an anti idling feature that will shut off after an hour if the key fob is present but ironically it sounds like the feature doesn’t work if the key fob isn’t in the vehicle. (Sounds backwards, doesn’t it?). So, as a daily Tesla driver who now forgets to turn off every other vehicle when I park it and on behalf of your wife I’d like to apologize for burning an entire tank of gas while parked idling at the airport.
Well, don't get me wrong; I love her and I love the Tesla, definitely in that order, but she is having a bit of a hard time with the idea that she might have done this.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Could my wife have accidentally left the car running while she traveled on the airline? She drives a Tesla which auto shuts off. I wasn't there on this trip.
No, because the car automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, even if you leave it full on.

I know this because we tried camping in the back.

The only way it doesn't shut off is I think if you leave it in Neutral and not Park (even Neutral I think it auto shifts to park and shuts off, I think you have to leave it in Drive).

·
Registered
499 Posts
No, because the car automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, even if you leave it full on.

I know this because we tried camping in the back.

The only way it doesn't shut off is I think if you leave it in Neutral and not Park (even Neutral I think it auto shifts to park and shuts off, I think you have to leave it in Drive).
Is that true for the non-hybrid model as well?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts