2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Could my wife have accidentally left the car running while she traveled on the airline? She drives a Tesla which auto shuts off. I wasn't there on this trip.
This is off-topic, but I could not resist. Leaving the car running happened to us in 1961. We had a 1956 Nash that had a Packard engine. You just could not hear that engine running at idle. At all. Even as a youngster with great ears, it was just plain silent. My mother took us to the zoo. She parked, got everything ready, and we got out and spent the day looking at the animals. Nobody locked cars then. We got back to a note saying that she had left the engine running, and that the keys were at the entry booth.

So yes, it's possible that your wife left the engine running. But at Detroit, I think fuel theft is more likely.

So has anyone found a locking cap for a Pachy?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think so. I have a 2017 gas Pacifica and I accidentally left it running in P the other day all morning long. When I came back the gas had definitely gone down. I'm a wife too and if my husband accused me of this I would deny deny deny!
When we got back from the zoo, my mother told my father about leaving the Nash engine running. He just burst out laughing.

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Touring-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Per swiftdo3's post, the auto-shut-off only works when the fob is in the car. Can any of you who had the car auto-shut-off confirm that the fob was out of the car and out of range?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me chime in on this subject because I have a 2019 Pacifica ICE, am actual first hand experience with this..

I went to work at 7:30am parked in in the university parking lot for our building.
Did not notice I forgot to press the Start/Stop button.
Went to me office without a worry in my head.
Came back at 4:05pm at the end of my day and as I got in the driver's seat noticed the RPM was not at 0, but idling in the 850-900 range.

I lost maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank of gas. My memory is a bit fuzzy on this portion, but I left my Pacifica on and it did not turn off.
So the possibilities of leaving it on and it burning through a tank of gas is possible in my experience, and opinion.

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler PacHy Limited Fully Loaded
69 Posts
I'd like to know more about that. I can find stuff about the function that shuts off the engine at a stoplight, but I can't find anything about a function that shuts the engine off after extended idling. Can you point me to something?
I usually keep my van started for my kids to watch the shows on the Rear screens if I am waiting in a parking lot. It also helps with the AC. I have noticed around 30 minutes mark the van shuts off and I have to start again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I usually keep my van started for my kids to watch the shows on the Rear screens if I am waiting in a parking lot. It also helps with the AC. I have noticed around 30 minutes mark the van shuts off and I have to start again.
Innocent96,

The OP is discussing a 2022 Pacifica Touring L (I would assume and ICE), whereas it sounds like you are giving an example of a PacHy. That is itself may not apply across the board between the two vehicle types.

The second difference is that they are discussing where they left the vehicle on, and the FOB in not present in the vehicle. Your example the vehicle is on, but it sounds you are present with the FOB.

My scenario (actual experience and case) is most similar two ICE vehicles left on, and FOB not present where the engine stays on. Theirs seems to have been left on approximately 4 days, mine was like 8 hours approximately. It would be great if others who have the same similar case scenario detail their experience. Or someone from Chrysler who understands the situation and exact specifics can chime in and speak from the designed specs expected response should be.

I personally would like to know if this is a loophole of some sorts in it's design, because I've been extremely careful since it happened in my case to double check that the vehicle is turned off. The engine is quiet so in noisy environments I sometimes can't tell that it's on.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts