2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone actively shift between "D" and "L"? I will shift to "L" when slowing down, going down a hill or even braking. It seems to provide at least double the charging capacity to the battery. However, I wonder how durable the rotary shifter is for this as I do this quite a bit in my commutes. After all, it is basically just a switch which means it will wear out but the rotary selector makes it easy once you get used to it. Any opinions on using the gear selector in this manner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone actively shift between "D" and "L"? I will shift to "L" when slowing down, going down a hill or even braking. It seems to provide at least double the charging capacity to the battery. However, I wonder how durable the rotary shifter is for this as I do this quite a bit in my commutes. After all, it is basically just a switch which means it will wear out but the rotary selector makes it easy once you get used to it. Any opinions on using the gear selector in this manner.

Thanks!

My wife is the primary driver of ours. But when I do get to drive, I will use the L mode going down hills and in town in the stop and go traffic. Normal highway driving I prefer D mode.

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts

Thanks!
Use search, it's been discussed in details. In short- "L" in PacHy is not equivalent to the "L" in the gas vans, where it restricts tranny to lower gears. All it does in PacHy is to provide stronger regen braking. It is perfectly safe and acceptable to drive in L full time at any speed. It doesn't really save a lot of electrons, but gives a better driving experience because you don't have to move your foot between the pedal as much as in "D".

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been experimenting using L vs D and after adjusting to it, I kinda like using L for most of my driving around town. Using one pedal for most of my driving is more linear and relaxing. On the highway though, it still doesn't make sense for me to use.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have been using “L” to slow the van down as I approach a stoplight/sign or even just to slow down to make a turn. Since it is difficult to tell with the brake pedal exactly when/if the physical brake bads are engaging the rotor, I feel that this method ensures that I’m using the real brakes as little as possible. I’m thinking that the lifetime of the brake pads on this vehicle should be significantly longer than that of a normal vehicle.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Don't go nuts on the L to slow down habitually.
Brakes are cheaper than transmissions and drive train components.
Way cheaper.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Don't go nuts on the L to slow down habitually.
Brakes are cheaper than transmissions and drive train components.
Way cheaper.
I would agree with you on the gas model, but we're talking about the Hybrid where it won't hurt the transmission or drivetrain components.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'll flip it to L when coming down a hill that's big enough / long enough. Or on a hwy off-ramp if traffic is clear behind me.

The L mode doesn't do anything that moderate brake pedal pressure doesn't do in D mode. You just don't have to hit the actual brake pedal as much (or hold it going down hill).

Even with hitting the brakes in D, if you aren't slamming on the brakes the car uses regen only until either: you're going slow enough that regen doesn't work, or you need more braking force then regen alone can provide.

The biggest difference is that in D, using the brakes to slow down via regen turns the brake lights on. 1 pedal driving in L won't turn the brake lights on.

Ultimately the efficiency of D vs L modes depends on the driver's habits more than the mode.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can anybody tell the difference between driving in D and L in fuel consumption? In user's manual they say it would be more fuel efficient when driving in D.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'll flip it to L when coming down a hill that's big enough / long enough. Or on a hwy off-ramp if traffic is clear behind me.

The L mode doesn't do anything that moderate brake pedal pressure doesn't do in D mode. You just don't have to hit the actual brake pedal as much (or hold it going down hill).

Even with hitting the brakes in D, if you aren't slamming on the brakes the car uses regen only until either: you're going slow enough that regen doesn't work, or you need more braking force then regen alone can provide.

The biggest difference is that in D, using the brakes to slow down via regen turns the brake lights on. 1 pedal driving in L won't turn the brake lights on.
This, alone, might be a good reason to avoid using 'L' to slow the vehicle down, at least in congested traffic. Slowing down without brake lights seems like it would significantly increase the chances of being rear-ended. I mean, wasn't that the whole point of the requirement of a Center High Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL)?

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Touring, 3/20, build, Velvet Red Pearl, nav, power tailgate, 4Knines cargo mat
39 Posts
I've driven our GM EVs in "L" routinely, and enjoy the feel of stronger regen. When we take delivery of our PacHy I'll try the technique with it. It can't hurt anything, and it does save trips to the brake pedal.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Can anybody tell the difference between driving in D and L in fuel consumption? In user's manual they say it would be more fuel efficient when driving in D.
Do you have a hybrid? Driving a gas version in L would certainly use more fuel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts